Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
OP Offline
J
150 grain winchester power point most accurate round in my rifle. I was worried about lack of good penetration with a 150 after reading and watching videos. Did my own test. I stacked a cardboard box with pieces of 2x8 lumber. From 85 yards I shot the power point and 180 interlock. Both bullets stopped in the 5th board. Both perfect mushroom. Both cores intact. I could not even pry the cores out. I realize the test was very uncontrolled but good enough for me to now use the power point with confidence. My 30/06 has 20" barrel so more like .308 velocity. Just an FYI for anyone wondering.

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Used the power point 150gr in a .308 Win on a sample of one.

I shot a doe last year that was quartering to me. Shot was 40-50 yards and I was on the ground. Aimed where the neck meets the shoulder, while she was doing the "head bob" they do before they usually stomp at you. lol

At the shot she dropped, lights out and kicked a few times. That was it.

I walked up and it looked like I hit her in the spine 1/2 back on her body. I was trying to figure out what the hell went wrong. Gutter her out, drug her to the truck and hung her at camp.

My son and buddy came to the shack at lunch. It was warm for WI, so I decided to skin her at least while it was still easy.

Hanging "rear up" I got the hide off to the wound. It was a mess! The spine was pretty much gone along with 1/2 of the back straps. The deer was held together by hide and and fat. Carefully took the hide off the rest of the way.

I did hit where I was aiming. The bullet hit the near shoulder and spine. Then followed the spine along the body until it exited 1/2 back, where I though I'd actually hit her. It was quite a mess with a lot of ruined meat. The right shoulder was shot, a lot of neck meat, and the front 1/2 of the backstraps. I'd say that bullet penetrated 24" or more of deer before it exited. There was no shortage of penetration, that's for sure!!

I'm not blaming the bullet and I'd use it again. I think it just took a strange turn, as they do sometimes because it hit the shoulder/spine at the same spot.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Years ago I shot a cow elk at approximately 280 yards with 30-06 and I was using Hornady Interlock 180 grain bullet, the shot was in the neck and when we skinned her, we found only the cup in the hide. It did the job but the cup and core totally separated. I shot a mule deer buck at approximately 90 yards behind the shoulder using 30-06 165 Gr PowePoint and it was instant kill and the bullet mushroomed.

Attached Images
Cup.jpg (5.48 KB, 510 downloads)
PP.jpg (5.78 KB, 508 downloads)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
6 of one, half dozen of the other?

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Pretty much.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Man that's a gnarly shot/incident you described up there.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I prefer Corelokts, but what the hell... smile

Last edited by las; 10/18/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I’ve had pretty good look with both the Power Points and the Interlock. I’ve found the 180 gr PP holds up well even at 300 Win Mag velocities

J
OP Offline
J
Good to know. Thanks

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Are there any core lokts besides the round nose that aren't Interlocks these days?

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Igloo

I've heard of that happening and actually seen it on an elk once. Not the bullets fault, once it finds that channel if follows the path of least resistance. Can happen with just about any kind of bullet. Maybe not so much a Barnes monometal, but will with a c&c... That is why shot placement is key.. Back to the bullets in question. I use and love the 180gr power point and 180gr Hornady interlock in the 30-06. They both work well. Save the 150's for your 308...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Igloo

I've heard of that happening and actually seen it on an elk once. Not the bullets fault, once it finds that channel if follows the path of least resistance. Can happen with just about any kind of bullet. Maybe not so much a Barnes monometal, but will with a c&c... That is why shot placement is key.. Back to the bullets in question. I use and love the 180gr power point and 180gr Hornady interlock in the 30-06. They both work well. Save the 150's for your 308...

So essentially just riding it like a highway...I see what you mean about it really being the easy way to go.

I was a 180gr Interlock fan in the 30-06 as well. Not glamourous but did the job very well, round nosed version at moderate velocity included.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have killed a couple of dozen fallow deer and numerous pigs with the 150 gn Powerpoint in my .30/06. It is exceptionally accurate in my little Browning, and I have been very happy with its performance on game. On fallow deer I mostly plug for a shot through the shoulder blade, to take out the main arterial and nerve junctions behind there, and this bullet does so very well, though at the expense of some meat. It'll destroy the spine if a little high, which also puts them straight down. With a shot through the ribs, or from behind them angling forward, it goes off like a bomb inside, and neck shots usually more or less decapitate. I only recall one shot from hard astern, which I put into the spine as I was a bit higher than the deer, and that put it straight down. I prefer not to shoot deer in the arse though, so I can't attest to how well this bullet would go driven in from there.

It is not my choice for game larger than fallow, though I did once bowl over a red stag from full gallop with it. It was a spine shot, but I noted that while the bullet went through the scapula and smashed the spine it didn't exit.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by duke61
Years ago I shot a cow elk at approximately 280 yards with 30-06 and I was using Hornady Interlock 180 grain bullet, the shot was in the neck and when we skinned her, we found only the cup in the hide. It did the job but the cup and core totally separated. I shot a mule deer buck at approximately 90 yards behind the shoulder using 30-06 165 Gr PowePoint and it was instant kill and the bullet mushroomed.

Years ago I had worked up a load for my .338wm using the Interlock but after doing some less than scientific bullet tests I decided to shoot those at paper. I’m sure that they would’ve killed everything I aimed at but I didn’t have confidence in that bullet. I tested a half dozen Interlocks into various types of test media and every single one performed like the one in your picture, total and complete jacket and core separation. All my test shots were at 75 yards from a 20” .338wm…

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
According to that extensive .30 caliber 180 grain bullet comparison that was published in Handloader where they shot three shots of each bullet at 100 fps intervals into a test medium, the Interlock is a bit tougher than the Power Point. The Interlock expanded with a mushroom shape down to 1,900 fps and the Power Point expanded to about the same mushroom shape down to 1,700 fps.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Windfall
According to that extensive .30 caliber 180 grain bullet comparison that was published in Handloader where they shot three shots of each bullet at 100 fps intervals into a test medium, the Interlock is a bit tougher than the Power Point. The Interlock expanded with a mushroom shape down to 1,900 fps and the Power Point expanded to about the same mushroom shape down to 1,700 fps.

Hmm interesting.

I wonder if the 150gr PPT is the same. If so, that would be a nice 100 yard option in 7.62x39

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I also hunted mule deer with 270 Cal 150 Gr Hornady Interlocks and they performed well, I just will not used them on elk anymore.

J
OP Offline
J
Power Point worked for me last night. Shot large doe (103 lbs at butcher ) at 75 yards double lung. Entry and exit both missed ribs both holes size of silver dollar. Ran about 50 yards with good blood pumping out both sides.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve used several power points and many interlocks over 30+ yrs of geeking out on this stuff & think that they are both trustworthy. That being shared, I prefer the Hornady - from prairie dogs to Elk I can’t remember a bad situation. If power points were more available, I’d probably have used them more but I mostly handload.

*I do want to exit to add that a .224/55gr 270/150gr. 30/165gr or 180gr Interlock, to me, are outstanding hunting bullets in terms of accuracy and reliable penetration at the sub 400 yards that most folks shoot stuff. Just my .02

Last edited by PintsofCraft; 10/19/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been hunting with Winchester Super X Power Points in 180 Gr. for many years now in my .30-06. everything I hit with them it's lights out, so I figure why fix what's not broke. Well over 100 deer and many moose to date.

My longest shot was a big bull moose @ about 525 yards. He dropped to his knees, got up staggered 40 or so yards and died.

I love the accuracy and especially the price since I do not load myself.

KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (21, 35, 7887mm08, afisher, 257_X_50, 9 invisible), 907 guests, and 842 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,917
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.