Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Malcolm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
McCulloch small saw Model CS38. ,38 cc.
Hard to start and so sluggish won't turn the chain . Also gas tank leak out the bottom.
Problem found to be primer bulb neoprene hose connection at tank suction point hardened and tube broken away and crumbled. This must have been the cause of such poor running ,and I can't fix it until tomorrow, to test ,but how would this cause such a problem. I was wondering if anyone had a theory.
Thanx Malcolm.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Carb sucking air, causing lean condition.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I would guess that after you fix that problem, another will arise shortly. It sounds like its an older saw, perhaps its time for a new one.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
McCulloch chainsaws…..pssshaww my friend. This is the campfire and very obviously.. Stihl country.

Lemme guess…..you probably even use Leupold scopes and push feed actions.

I can’t help you with anything mechanical whatsoever but I am sure if there’s an answer to your question you’ll find it here. 👍….one of them might even be the right answer. 😂

Good luck with your search for a new saw.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Malcolm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
McCulloch chainsaws…..pssshaww my friend. This is the campfire and very obviously.. Stihl country.

I can’t help you with anything mechanical whatsoever but I am sure if there’s an answer to your question you’ll find it here. 👍….one of them might even be the right answer. 😂

Gas gets to the carb one way ,through the bulb.. I didn't know that until I figured it out about 4 1/2 seconds ago , then I read it for real 2 posts above. What a relief to have fixed another broken tool that will last a lifetime and was sucking air into the gas line before it was reaching the carb. Thanx +. Malcolm.

Hey I don't use a scope at all but I have a hard time focusing on the front and rear sights . I like a Weaver scope though and have a couple of them in 3 power (K3).

Last edited by Malcolm; 10/19/22.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How long did you run it acting like that?

Air leaks are the death of many 2-strokes.

Sucking air means lean, mean means less oil,
lean burn causes things to get hot, not a good combination.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
First saw I had was a Mc. A hand saw would have been better. I was usually to tired to use it after I got it started. Saw shops couldn't get it to work any better.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
If you can find an original McCulloch, keep it, they were the best on the market. I helped close down some of their shops in 74-75 when Black & Decker bought them out. Story was they just wanted them out of production. I guess over the years they were sold a couple more times and today they are owned by the Husqvarna company. I haven't seen one in years and didn't even know they were being made again. If you all have the time read up on the man and his history, the whole family were mechanical geniuses.

Phil

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Two here, one is a top handle.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Malcolm
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Gas gets to the carb one way ,through the bulb.. I didn't know that until I figured it out about 4 1/2 seconds ago , then I read it for real 2 posts above. What a relief to have fixed another broken tool that will last a lifetime and was sucking air into the gas line before it was reaching the carb. Thanx +. Malcolm.

Hey I don't use a scope at all but I have a hard time focusing on the front and rear sights . I like a Weaver scope though and have a couple of them in 3 power (K3).

Malcom, the campfire seem to own Stihl more than other brands, but don't despair a McCulloch can still get the job done. This Super Pro 125C has been in my family since the 1970s. My Grandfather bought it new to help supplement his farm income by cutting whiskey bolts. My Dad used it on side logging jobs, I keep it running and use it occasionally.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nothing wrong with the older McCullochs. I have a Pro Mac 610 that my grandfather bought new and used, sold it to my Dad, who also used it, and I bought it from him. I'm still using it when I need a big saw. That thing cut a forest full of wood when I heated with wood.
I bought a small MS170 Stihl when Hurricane Florence came thru and wreaked havoc at our beach house. That Pro Mac ain't no limb saw LOL laugh
Also have a Mini mac 6 but it has about shot its wad.

Last edited by Featherweight6555; 10/20/22.

" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Why would anyone own a lemon colored saw when you can buy orange ones or better yet orange and white ones?

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The made GREAT go-kart engines in the 60's ! grin

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a McCulloch I bought in 1980.It was an OK saw,but my Brother had a Poulan and it would kick it's butt hands down.The reason?The oiler on the McCulloch didn't put out enough oil.Once the bar and chain started getting dry,it would not cut worth a damn.Since then I bought a 20" Poulan.The Poulan puts out plenty of oil that makes a huge difference in how well a saw cuts.The saw cuts the hell out of hard seasoned live oak and mesquite with no problem.It's not a Stihl,but it doesn't cost as much as one either.If I can't fix anything that may go wrong with it,I can trash it and buy another.So far I've only had to replace the chain and a fuel line in 20yrs and still runs and cuts good,so I can't complain.We had Stihls at work that had to be taken in for repairs.They are great saws,but they aren't bulletproof either.Those repair cost add up too.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
M
Malcolm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I didn't run it more than 1 minute after it started because it wasn't running properly and wouldn't even turn the chain. U tube showed me how to access the fuel line at the gas tank where the hose was broken. I just use the saw for camping . I bought it from Princess Auto ,a Canadian car supply warehouse ,as refurbished new for $110. It's not easy to start but may be the cause of my problem. I like the McCulloch D44 and another older small one that has the gas tank mounted externally on top of the motor with 2 caps one for chain oil the other for gas. They both start good and cut well.
When I get this one fixed today I'll let you know if it starts better and works properly.

Last edited by Malcolm; 10/20/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by baldhunter
I had a McCulloch I bought in 1980.It was an OK saw,but my Brother had a Poulan and it would kick it's butt hands down.The reason?The oiler on the McCulloch didn't put out enough oil.Once the bar and chain started getting dry,it would not cut worth a damn.Since then I bought a 20" Poulan.The Poulan puts out plenty of oil that makes a huge difference in how well a saw cuts.The saw cuts the hell out of hard seasoned live oak and mesquite with no problem.It's not a Stihl,but it doesn't cost as much as one either.If I can't fix anything that may go wrong with it,I can trash it and buy another.So far I've only had to replace the chain and a fuel line in 20yrs and still runs and cuts good,so I can't complain.We had Stihls at work that had to be taken in for repairs.They are great saws,but they aren't bulletproof either.Those repair cost add up too.

That auto oiler on the Mac was adjustable. One screw under breather cover....just saying.

NRA Life, GOA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Haven't seen one in years. Last I had of that brand was a weed Wacker that I bought from a pawn shop. Didn't last a year before it went to the county dump

Romans 5:1
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Why would anyone own a lemon colored saw when you can buy orange ones or better yet orange and white ones?
Lemon to lemonade, just saying.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I own a Little Beaver Mac that must be 25 or 30 years old. The case is cracked on it but the last time I used it, it ran and worked. I'd give it away for anyone who wants to swing by the house and pick it up.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
M
Malcolm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Saw is fixed. Broken hardened gas line from bulb to tank replaced. Now no gas leak. Poor sluggish performance with clutch unable to turn chain was due to safety stop bar engaged. Time for a beer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

357 members (29aholic, 260Remguy, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 280ACKIMP, 42 invisible), 2,510 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,754
Posts18,476,328
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.