-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
54. 1963 Studebaker R/2 Super Hawk. But I'm not an old fart... yet.

Last edited by High_Noon; 10/19/22.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I've been driving the GTO for over 51 years and the 2000 GMC 3500 with a 454 and a 5 speed manual. I always thought the manual transmissions were better, but not anymore. These newer automatics are damned good. 68
Yeah they’re good, but can you fix it in your garage? Repair costs? The great thing about my 71 GMC is that I don’t have much guessing to do if it starts acting up.

Working on it in your garage is what you have to do with those old cars and trucks. They wouldn’t ever last 100,000 miles without an overhaul.

Working on them easily isn’t better than not working on them…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Dang, don't miss rowing in a truck but sure do miss a tight shifting car and throwing it thru the gears... 65 here...

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I hear you there - wouldn't buy a manual truck today, but a sportier car is another story. I'm currently debating on a smaller truck, probably a Tacoma. I could like a manual in something like that...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not old, but I still get a little surge of nostalgia the few times a year I hop in something with a clutch.

Wouldn't go out of my way to purchase one new anymore, especially in a pickup.

...Raise your hand if you can still hear the rage in your old mans voice the first time you were pressed into service pulling the boat out of some sh*thole, scum covered landing in an F150 with a straight 6 and a 5 speed.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
When I was at racing school in Nevada a few years ago I ran some new corvettes and some had manuals and some had autos. I demanded a manual at first but an instructor said you should really try these new dual clutch autos with paddle shifters. Isn't better lap times in the autos every time.

Before that I thought it couldn't be a sports car with an auto. But, the new autos do really well. I loved the 8 speed auto in my 2019 ram. It seemed perfect with the hemi. The 10 speed ato in my f150 is pretty good too but a little funky at times. The 4 speed in my 94 yukon just doesn't feel like it has enough gears after driving the new ones.

Back when the choice was a 5 or 6 speed standard or a 4 speed auto the standard held more appeal. In the 2016 vettes it was a 6 or 7 speed standard or 8 speed auto. I learned to like the auto better. I think they even dropped the standard soon after because that 8 speed auto was so good.

Bb

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
No one can claim to be a real man if he drives anything else - if he can't convert an automatic to standard with nothing more than a Vice Grip and a socket set, he is just a waste of protoplasm.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
84 here.
Diving a total of 9 different trucks with manual shifters, 8 of them are the Muncie SM 465 and one the 6 speed whatever in the big 2001 Dodge - and the 4speed in the old Corvette. I appreciate a manual trans.

One 72 Chev with a T400 (only 32k miles) and a Chev Duramax that runs with the Allison automatic - great auto trans.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
A couple of tractors and a retired fire truck. I'm in the process of building a home-brewed tractor with a 4 cylinder Mercruiser Marine engine, a 3 speed automatic main transmission, a 4 speed manual auxiliary trans, and a 2 speed vacuum shift rear axle. 24 forward speeds and 8 in reverse.

sounds like a fun build, friend of mine had a 13 speed with a 4 speed aux making 56gears . about an 88 Ford Louieville used as a lowbed tractor mostly on steep logging roads on Vancouver Island,

Myself 76 years Gravel truck 18 speed manual

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I've been driving the GTO for over 51 years and the 2000 GMC 3500 with a 454 and a 5 speed manual. I always thought the manual transmissions were better, but not anymore. These newer automatics are damned good. 68

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
damn you’re rich 🤑

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This one I still drive

This one I wish I still had

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
In 1975 i taught myself to drive stick at 12 yrs old (in a salvage yard) in a 57 Chevy 3/4 ton, Straight 6, 4 speed with Granny low... Put it in low gear, Clutch out, Key on, Hit the floor mounted starter button and it would start and walk away by itself, Step on the gas and start rowing gears... Great fun till i had to Stop... (no brakes) I would jam it in low & shut the key off, Engine braking to a stop... Eventually i got very good at it and could almost stop on a dime (as long as i wasnt' going to fast)... Next up was a 70 F250, 360 4 speed (again no brakes)... After the exhaust fell off, That sumbitch would backrap on a shift just like Mcqeens Mustang... Have liked Sticks ever since!...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m 57, my daily ride is a 2010 Ranger with a 5 speed stick.
Wifey is 3 years older and has a 14 Crosstrek which is also a 5 speed. We hunted pretty hard to find something with a standard transmission, but that’s what she wanted.
I read somewhere that stick shift vehicles make up less than 2% of the vehicles sold yearly, and most automakers no longer offer a standard transmission, even as an option, and many are switching over to the CVT transmission only.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
67 currently a 95 tacoma with 2.7 5spd manual. Had std transmission in vehicles all my life. When they started phasing out manuals in snow plow trucks for autos I stayed with the manuals so the worthless millennial fugs they were hiring could use the autos . Long live those old Internationals and Sterlings with Road Rangers...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Old enough to know better, young enough not to care.
2021 Bronco, 7 speed manual just because I could. Less computer integration.
Too bad you can’t get a manual transfer case with real levers.
Today’s automatics are adaptive to your driving style, the computer is constantly monitoring and adapting, great technology but a lot to go wrong. What will hold up better in the long run?
I don’t think there is any real advantage to a manual over an automatic anymore, just personal preference.
My first manual was in a ‘44 Willy’s jeep, top speed 40 and no brakes, that thing was a climbing machine. If you are familiar with push-up field terraces, it would climb right up the steepest ones I could find. Drive it through culverts and up creeks.

Last edited by ruffcutt; 10/20/22. Reason: .

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
'05 Dodge W2500 Diesel 6spd... "Trusty Rusty"...

sll Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AZmark
This one I still drive

]
Sweet!!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Up until last november. 05 with the six speed.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com][/url]

Kid ran a red and clobbered me.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by sll
Originally Posted by AZmark
This one I still drive

]
Sweet!!

Very Nice. I would love to have that one sitting in my garage.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I got tickled at my wife when she drove my new 88 GMC pickup. She grew up in a rural area and drove, pretty much out of necessity, from the time she was 12. The GMC had a floor shift and a light on the dash that came on as the motor was winding up. It was triggered by a vacuum system somehow to give you a hint when to change gears. Well, she was drivingalong and asked me why that light kept coming on. When I told her, she literally yelled at it," I've been driving for 30 yeaars and you've been driving for two weeks, and you're going to tell ME how to drive!".

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (1Longbow, 257Bob, 12344mag, 260Remguy, 25classic, 2500HD, 55 invisible), 2,702 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,294
Posts18,486,992
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.