Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Pardon wares that exist...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

I love when you post pics Stumpy. I am especially impressed how neat and organized your rifles and reloading area always are.

you are quite the organized housekeeper... Kudoes.

you'll make some Gay Guy a great house husband some day....

Suzy HomeMaker?

Since you are crossed eyed there Stumpy, I thought I'd post it twice, then you can read it twice...
once with each eyeball....especially if its 9 AM and you're already Sloshed....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

HR IC

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just picked up another one, an older stainless 308 compact that walmart had from like 2015. I have a 7mm-08 GoWild as well, which I got because it has the faster 8.5" twist.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
To me they’re a niche rifle for somebody just getting into hunting rifles or maybe a backup in your preferred caliber.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Bought one in 30-06 several years ago when Wal-Mart was closing them out for $200. Liked the weight, hated the gritty action and flimsy stock. Replaced the stock with a laminate giving it a much more solid feel, but then it became a heavy SOB. Also, with 2 stocks, 2 scopes, and multiple bullet/powder combos, I never found a load that was consistently better than 1.5 MOA. I started out on M77s and I decided I'll just stick with them. As for budget rifles, I've got 3 Marlin X rifles in the safe to cover all scenarios. If the need ever arises for another budget rifle, I'd probably go with a Howa.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry for the poor picture. American Ranch in 300 BLK with 16.5" barrel in a Boyd's Spike Camp stock. Not mine anymore (new owner replaced the stock). I really liked it in both configurations. Accurate lil cuss.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Igloo; 10/18/22.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife hunted with a Thompson Center Encore in 7mm-08 for several years. What could be better. Single shot, break open, hammer gun? The answer? Almost anything. NOTHING but troubles with that gun. Converted it into a pro-hunter. Even WORSE. My son and I were in a LGS and he saw a Ruger American in 7MM-08. I grabbed it immediately. I was happy as a clam to find it. NOT SO with my wife. She HATED the trigger. I bought her a Timney trigger and installed it. She went from a single shot, to a bolt gun repeater. The gun is lightweight, compact, and fits her perfectly. She has had it now for over 5 years and killed over a dozen whitetails with it. NEVER ANY ISSUES WHATSOEVER.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
My wife hunted with a Thompson Center Encore in 7mm-08 for several years. What could be better. Single shot, break open, hammer gun? The answer? Almost anything. NOTHING but troubles with that gun. Converted it into a pro-hunter. Even WORSE. My son and I were in a LGS and he saw a Ruger American in 7MM-08. I grabbed it immediately. I was happy as a clam to find it. NOT SO with my wife. She HATED the trigger. I bought her a Timney trigger and installed it. She went from a single shot, to a bolt gun repeater. The gun is lightweight, compact, and fits her perfectly. She has had it now for over 5 years and killed over a dozen whitetails with it. NEVER ANY ISSUES WHATSOEVER.

I've also had good luck with RARs, but I have a friend who bought a 243 for a ranch rifle and says that he has sent the rifle back to Ruger twice for warranty work. Any manufacturing process is likely to have a small percentage of imbedded errors, often at a rate of less than 1%.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I've also had good luck with RARs, but I have a friend who bought a 243 for a ranch rifle and says that he has sent the rifle back to Ruger twice for warranty work. Any manufacturing process is likely to have a small percentage of imbedded errors, often at a rate of less than 1%.

I have 4.

Ranch in 5.56
Predator in 308 with 18" bbl
and two of the Predator in 358(not rebores-the Grice special of a few years back.)

All work just fine with no issues and very accurate.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I am not a huge Timney fan but Timney nailed it perfectly with the trigger they made for the RAR, I hated the factory glock style trigger......a spring kit helped, taking off the blade helped but was still a POS trigger. The Timney trigger transformed my RAR's to great rifles. best money you could ever spend

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Ranch in 6.5 Grendel & .223 that are ridiculously accurate for their price - which others have shared. I like the unique configurations that Ruger offers. I’m not sure how much punch & accuracy a sportsman can pack into a full size rifle with a 16” +/- bbl. in 6.5 Grendel

I like them. I’ll be ordering more.

Last edited by PintsofCraft; 10/19/22.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boatanchor

I am not a huge Timney fan but Timney nailed it perfectly with the trigger they made for the RAR, I hated the factory glock style trigger......a spring kit helped, taking off the blade helped but was still a POS trigger. The Timney trigger transformed my RAR's to great rifles. best money you could ever spend

It made my wife happy. She got her confidence back. Happy wife, happy life. She has killed oved a dozen deer with it.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have the same rifle in 7.62x39. I wanted a 7.26x39 bolt action to get some trigger time and use up the excessive amount of chinese 7.62x39 that I have had laying around for the last 20 plus years. There are basically 3 bolt actions on the market in 7.62x39. They are Ruger, CZ, and Howa. I wanted the Howa but the Ruger was the only one available. My nephew has the CZ. The CZ is much better than the Ruger but it retails for $200 more. The action on the Ruger isn't the smoothest especially with Russian ammo. Luckily, the chinese I have is allot better. It is smoother in the action and seems to be more accurate. I have been wanting to try some brass PPU but I am cheap and the PPU is twice the price if not more than the Russian and I have allot of Chinese. I would trade the Ruger for the Howa in a heartbeat.

2 Kings 2:23-24
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Igloo
Sorry for the poor picture. American Ranch in 300 BLK with 16.5" barrel in a Boyd's Spike Camp stock. Not mine anymore (new owner replaced the stock). I really liked it in both configurations. Accurate lil cuss.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Thats a pretty stock. The new owner replaced it? If so, is it for sale?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by geedubya
I've owned several. Stiil have my 22WMR. For what they are they shoot well.

ya!

GWB
Agree.

Not that pretty, plastic parts, but they do shoot.

For what they cost, strictly on a utilitarian basis, they're hard to beat.

DF

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I've got the 22" standard model in 308.

Groups are 1-1.5 MOA with cheap factory ammo and a 4x Leupold in Weaver rings. It's light and it balances well. I have very little confidence in the rotary magazine.

It would be a good starter or loaner but once you learn anything about rifles, you'll want something else.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Bubba,

I bought the Ranch 7.62x39 for cheap ammo practice and a compact lite recoiling deer rifle. If you want to try brass cased ammo, the best deal I've found was Norma 124gr. FMJ Tactical. I was able to get a 500 ct. case of it for $9.25 box. You can easily find it for less the $11.00 box.

My Ranch rifle shoots the factory fmj into about 1.5 inch groups and loading the once fired brass with 123gr. Hornady SP and RL 7 I've been able to get 1 inch groups.

As, you said, it's not the smoothest or well finished rifle out there. For what it is, I'm happy with it.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have one in 22 magnum and it is the most accurate 22 magnum I have ever owned. I had some feeding issues at first, but disassembly the magazine and putting a few more turns on the spring to tighten fixed the problem.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by aboltfan
Bubba,

I bought the Ranch 7.62x39 for cheap ammo practice and a compact lite recoiling deer rifle. If you want to try brass cased ammo, the best deal I've found was Norma 124gr. FMJ Tactical. I was able to get a 500 ct. case of it for $9.25 box. You can easily find it for less the $11.00 box.

My Ranch rifle shoots the factory fmj into about 1.5 inch groups and loading the once fired brass with 123gr. Hornady SP and RL 7 I've been able to get 1 inch groups.

As, you said, it's not the smoothest or well finished rifle out there. For what it is, I'm happy with it.

They do at least slick up with use!

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by aboltfan
Bubba,

The russian is the worst. I would bash it against a tree if I were deer hunting and it cycled that poorly on a followup shot. Like I said, the chinese isn't as bad. I need to break down and get some Norma and maybe some PPU. They don't allow fmj where I hunt but I would still like to try the Norma. One thing I did do to improve it was I installed the ruger american trigger spring kit from mcarbo. It has made a difference and is well worth the $12.95 it costs. Pretty easy to install. It works on all ruger americans.

https://www.mcarbo.com/ruger-american-rifle-trigger-spring-kit.aspx

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,089 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,773
Posts18,495,725
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.