Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Gents,

I just picked up this barreled action in 6.5x55. It's obviously been sporterized (new #3 barrel, Timney trigger, safety upgrade, drilled/tapped)... but I'm wondering what you can tell me about the action based on the proof stamps and #s? (My experience with is Huskies and Zastavas made in the 60s and 80s... so I'm a little out of my wheelhouse here.)

I'm trying to figure out if this would fit in a B&C Mod 98 stock. The measurements I'm getting with tape and digital caliper are VERY close (matching in some cases, off by a smidge in others) to what's on their spec sheet, but they also say no military actions and no Timney adjustables. For ring diameter I get 1 3/8" on the tape and 1.4" on the digital; screws center to center are 7 7/8". Overall length of bottom metal is 8 5/8".

If B&C ended up being a no go, where else should I be looking for a new stock?

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com][Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com][Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com][Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com][Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com][Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com][Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com][Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Thanks y'all.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
An early war 98. Pretty good metal on those I believe. Should work with a standard 98 stock.

The way life should be.
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks, bluefish. All the parts have matching #s, which is nice. Would you happen to know the proof markings?

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Contrary to matching numbers which don't appear to be similarly stamped, believe you have a considerable parts mix n' match rifle. Also 'appears' re your scope holes, 'for-screw' appears differing in size. You bought a milsurp sporter and if it works well, just to be satisfied perhaps. What fits what, likely as untimately, you'll have to determine for yourself. I'd not omit a headspace check somewhere on your 'preflight'!
Good luck with it & just my take.
Best!
John

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bluefish
An early war 98. Pretty good metal on those I believe. Should work with a standard 98 stock.

I would defer to Z1r here. He knows Mausers since he is a very qualified gunsmith. I see a Nazi Eagle. Not too much outlay and you could have a nice project gun on your hands. I'd personally replace the safety and think about a bolt handle and bottom metal or at least having that one converted to a floorplate latch in the triggerguard or the classy old swing feature plus perhaps fitted scope bases. Alaska Arms makes a neat scope base set which a gunsmith could specifically contour and fit to the action. Take your time with it and make it into something classic.

The way life should be.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by iskra
Contrary to matching numbers which don't appear to be similarly stamped, believe you have a considerable parts mix n' match rifle. Also 'appears' re your scope holes, 'for-screw' appears differing in size. You bought a milsurp sporter and if it works well, just to be satisfied perhaps. What fits what, likely as untimately, you'll have to determine for yourself. I'd not omit a headspace check somewhere on your 'preflight'!
Good luck with it & just my take.
Best!
John
Thanks, iskra. Scope taps are all the same size (I think it's the photo angle making the front, front hole look smaller.) Can you elaborate any on the stamping? I.e., the meaning of matching #s but not "similarly stamped?"

(I bought as a hunting rifle, knowing the barrel, trigger, safety, etc., weren't original.)

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The rifle was made by Erma Werke in Bavaria in 1939. Somewhat rare amoung German military rifles compared to Mausers for example. As a full military K98K it would have been considerably valuable in $4k to $5k range depending on condition. As It is it's probably worth what you paid.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
-Thomas Jefferson
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by oldfoneguy
The rifle was made by Erma Werke in Bavaria in 1939. Somewhat rare amoung German military rifles compared to Mausers for example. As a full military K98K it would have been considerably valuable in $4k to $5k range depending on condition. As It is it's probably worth what you paid.
Thanks for this info! Any recs on a new stock? B&C is telling me not to try it (though I'm trying to find out how much modification it would require to make it fit).

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Originally Posted by oldfoneguy
Thanks for this info! Any recs on a new stock? B&C is telling me not to try it (though I'm trying to find out how much modification it would require to make it fit).

Have you looked at the Boyd's website? boydsgunstocks.com You can have a stock made to your specs especially with that custom barrel profile. Wood, laminate or composite are on the menu there with any type of forend, butt pad, comb and cheekpiece you desire. They can be pricey when you pick a lot of options.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
-Thomas Jefferson
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I've got an email in to Boyd's with my specs. B&C says I'd have to modify the block and advises against. Hogue isn't sure, but thinks it might fit on their fully blocked model with the Timney.

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
I've got an email in to Boyd's with my specs. B&C says I'd have to modify the block and advises against. Hogue isn't sure, but thinks it might fit on their fully blocked model with the Timney.

I've found over the years getting the Timney trigger to fit into any standard stock is nothing that the dremel with an end mill, ball mill and a few minutes can't handle. Good luck I hope you get it together soon. Bedded properly it should be a tack driver. I love 6.5x55 it's a laser beam of a round.

-Thomas Jefferson
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Yea, I've used the dremel to make a Timney fit for a commercial action. B&C rep thought I'd need to significantly change the aluminum block itself, including where the front pillar would need to pass through. Maybe I'm just better off finding a laminate and sanding the inletting as needed.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If you want to use a B&C stock just replace the bottom metal with an alloy unit, every thing else will fit except for maybe a bit of file work or dremelling for the trigger
That is a great action you have there, make the most of it

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Excuse me but these questions come up often and I always end up with the same thought. Better to buy a milsurp rifle that you can live with or bit of 'tweaking' as perhaps $100-200. additional investment. Buliding back significntly such as stock inclusive is seldom a good investment. I realize 'nothing is cheap nowadays', but so the rebuilding a rifle with many parts investments or even a single substantial one.
If it's 'your thing', Ok of course. Otherwise if that 'bottom line' is hanging perilously... maybe better kick that project on down the road.

Sorry to be a spoilsport! But just my frank take!
Whatever, good luck!
John

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Excuse me but these questions come up often and I always end up with the same thought. Better to buy a milsurp rifle that you can live with or bit of 'tweaking' as perhaps $100-200. additional investment. Buliding back significntly such as stock inclusive is seldom a good investment. I realize 'nothing is cheap nowadays', but so the rebuilding a rifle with many parts investments or even a single substantial one.
If it's 'your thing', Ok of course. Otherwise if that 'bottom line' is hanging perilously... maybe better kick that project on down the road.

Whatever, good luck!
John
John -- I bought the barreled action without a stock, knowing full-well that it would take some additional coin to finish the project. That's why I was willing to put out for the B&C. But the price of the barreled action (very good deal) and a decent stock, at least to me, is still going to come in around the price of a modern budget rifle... but be of significantly higher quality. (I was just able to snag a NOS walnut Boyd's stock for $40 on another forum, so as far as I'm concerned, I'm sitting pretty when it comes to investment in the project.)

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
......Buliding back significntly such as stock inclusive is seldom a good investment........
Whatever, good luck!
John

Sure, if you just intend to leave it in the safe to gather dust. But a nice Mauser in 6.5x55 is meant to be used, taken afield, enjoyed. Not worth pinching pennies over when you amortize the cost over all the experiences..

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by z1r
......Buliding back significntly such as stock inclusive is seldom a good investment........
Whatever, good luck!
John

Sure, if you just intend to leave it in the safe to gather dust. But a nice Mauser in 6.5x55 is meant to be used, taken afield, enjoyed. Not worth pinching pennies over when you amortize the cost over all the experiences..
I tend to agree with this... most of the rifles I've "rehabbed" will never hold a collector's value equal to what I put into them. But I enjoy doing it and, frankly, I like having the old stuff around to use and eventually pass down.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Unless you just didn`t fit it, I would get a spacer for the rear action screw, or you may have fun properly bedding that action.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Clockwork, excuse the delay, 'life happening'! A "barreled action" may be great specimen and restoration worthy or... Crap! The rifle sub-genre itself as maker & era. The originality, perhaps the single most important factor from collector perspective and where "optimum value is closely linked", associated "all matching" where serial numbers are evident, the condition in general such as corrosion free in aesthetics and bore. Functonality as admittedly difficulty to assess from afar but important in "consequence", the overall 'presentaton' as the harmony of above factors. A 'uniform' finish even depreciated, in most contexts more desireable than a mixed old, new, borrowed and blue!

So saying a "barreled action" in vacuum of other factors, really saying little. While "learning experience a valid excuse for restoring, objective "perspective" provides the experience of others in offering up learned perspectives. No need to dive into an empty swimming pool for sake of "self experience" achievement.
I use the term "interesting" as something of a neutral assessment of 'dasterdly deed done' restoration offered up for commentary.
I have half dozen or so barreled actions my intent 'some day' to restore from half stock Bubbas, metal untouched, to original stocks. Nowadays, even those, the cost of stocks; original config only as instantly mismatch repros just that! Nowadays plan, eventually passing such torches to other hands who may well do just as me! Springfields, Enfield '17 and mauser AZ genre - and 'no' none for sale!
My definite take
Best!
John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Clockwork, excuse the delay, 'life happening'! A "barreled action" may be great specimen and restoration worthy or... Crap! The rifle sub-genre itself as maker & era. The originality, perhaps the single most important factor from collector perspective and where "optimum value is closely linked", associated "all matching" where serial numbers are evident, the condition in general such as corrosion free in aesthetics and bore. Functonality as admittedly difficulty to assess from afar but important in "consequence", the overall 'presentaton' as the harmony of above factors. A 'uniform' finish even depreciated, in most contexts more desireable than a mixed old, new, borrowed and blue!

So saying a "barreled action" in vacuum of other factors, really saying little. While "learning experience a valid excuse for restoring, objective "perspective" provides the experience of others in offering up learned perspectives. No need to dive into an empty swimming pool for sake of "self experience" achievement.
I use the term "interesting" as something of a neutral assessment of 'dasterdly deed done' restoration offered up for commentary.
I have half dozen or so barreled actions my intent 'some day' to restore from half stock Bubbas, metal untouched, to original stocks. Nowadays, even those, the cost of stocks; original config only as instantly mismatch repros just that! Nowadays plan, eventually passing such torches to other hands who may well do just as me! Springfields, Enfield '17 and mauser AZ genre - and 'no' none for sale!
My definite take
Best!
John

WTF is this word salad bullshit?
Put that fine Mauser action in a Boyds stock, hunt it, enjoy it.... beats a damn Ruger American by a mile in my book... resale be damned.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 99Ozarks, 673, 17 invisible), 1,489 guests, and 961 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,487
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.