Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
The tractor I'm in the process of building has a Mercruiser 4 cylinder engine, a 3 speed automatic trans backed up by a 4 speed manual and a 2 speed vacuum shift rear end. 24 forward speeds and 8 in reverse. It should be able to climb trees if it can get any traction.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
How about a 9 speed ? Or 13, 15 ,18, 21 ???
Most youngsters can not that's why the trucking industry got automatic .. youngsters can not cut it ...

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Nothing can compare with the thrill and adrenaline rush of switching from brake to clutch coming off a stop sign on an uphill slope with the street covered with packed snow/ice and another vehicle right behind you. How can anyone not love it!
Heel & Toe Baby, Heel & Toe... Heel on the brake, Toe on the gas... Forgive me Lord how i Love (d) it so...

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by JGray
I'm 61 and have driven manual transmissions on and off most of my life. Some as toys but most as daily drivers. This K10 is my only manual and probably my last. I don't mind them on the highway but wouldn't want one as a daily driver running around town.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][
Nice truck!

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by AZmark
This one I still drive
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This one I wish I still had
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Man that F100 is nice!

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

IC B2

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by CCCC
Here are a couple other 4speed Muncie and 4wd items I like to drive.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here are a couple other 4speed Muncie and 4wd items I like to drive.

Both are very nice!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Guilty.....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Got my CDL driver's license in 1976 in a 1962 Mack B-73 with a 262 Cummins engine and a 5 X 3 Triplex transmission. Non-synchronized gears and two shifters.
In the early '80's, I drove in "the patch" - most of our trucks had 5X4 Brownie set-ups.
Learned to shift gears so young, I had to duck under the dashboard, stab the clutch, and get a gear - before bouncing back to where I could see through the windshield - '57 Chevy 4X4 - original.
Now keep an '09 Dodge Cummins w/ a 6 speed manual for ranch work & pulling trailers.
Beating the damn door down on 70! smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cummins has what's called a ZTL, zero throttle launch, in their stick shift Rams. Maybe it was found in other brands, too, I don't know. It's used for getting a manual pickup moving up a hill with a load. You let off the brake until it's barely holding. Then slowly let out the clutch. Don't touch the throttle (hence the ZERO Throttle). When it starts to stall, the computer takes over and handles the throttle for you, getting it moving easily. It will continue to drive it slowly until you touch the throttle, then you're in control again.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ldholton
Most youngsters can not that's why the trucking industry got automatic .. youngsters can not cut it ...

Actually - trucking moved to autos because they were recruiting drivers from older people looking for second careers. They found that people of advanced age had a harder time with the heavy clutch and double clutching on bad knees.

Anyway - that was the reasoning at the carrier I was working at when the autos started taking hold and we were buying 3800 new trucks every year to keep the fleet average at 3yrs.

NOW - I would state it's not because someone can't drive stick - as in unable to learn. It's because they never had to and training programs aren't revenue generating for carriers. Put them in an auto and not need to teach someone from zero how to drive a manual saves time and gets that trainee on the road, pulling loads sooner. Autos in class 8 have gotten a lot better but I still prefer to float a 10 or 13 speed if given the option.

Me

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Cummins has what's called a ZTL, zero throttle launch, in their stick shift Rams. Maybe it was found in other brands, too, I don't know. It's used for getting a manual pickup moving up a hill with a load. You let off the brake until it's barely holding. Then slowly let out the clutch. Don't touch the throttle (hence the ZERO Throttle). When it starts to stall, the computer takes over and handles the throttle for you, getting it moving easily. It will continue to drive it slowly until you touch the throttle, then you're in control again.

My Tacoma has a "Clutch Start Cancel" button. Lets you start rolling without it. I've never tried it.

Me

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by ldholton

Actually - trucking moved to autos because they were recruiting drivers from older people looking for second careers. They found that people of advanced age had a harder time with the heavy clutch and double clutching on bad knees.

Anyway - that was the reasoning at the carrier I was working at when the autos started taking hold and we were buying 3800 new trucks every year to keep the fleet average at 3yrs.

NOW - I would state it's not because someone can't drive stick - as in unable to learn. It's because they never had to and training programs aren't revenue generating for carriers. Put them in an auto and not need to teach someone from zero how to drive a manual saves time and gets that trainee on the road, pulling loads sooner. Autos in class 8 have gotten a lot better but I still prefer to float a 10 or 13 speed if given the option.
Yes autos and class 8 have gotten better. Where did it this way for the original talking about old farts.. but who double clutches who has ever double clutch that really drives a truck? Yes I know the driver's test...
I find it interesting nowadays that a CDL test you can take it in an automatic truck but you will have a license restricted to automatic only.. we have a few youngsters that work for us that are this way on a CDL..

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Then, this 4 speed gives me some fun too.

Very nice. Bet you do have some fun with that one. My brother had one with the split rear window. I think it was 1967. Fun car. It would put you back in the seat when you banged second gear.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I picked up this 2001 Ford Ranger yesterday. I wanted a small 4x4 truck for a run around vehicle and all around hunting/fishing/trapping truck and didn't want payments. My old F350 is a great truck but only one vehicle makes me nervous. And diesel is a dollar or more a gallon higher than gas locally.

Pretty clean and it has been well cared for. 130,000 miles and very clean interior. Five speed. It's been a few years but it came right back to me. I splurged for a personalized plates for both trucks. The F350 is 400WHLN.

Idaho driver's licenses and plates now. It's official. We ain't Alaskans any longer.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Mart looks like you did better than most..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I think I did okay on it. Came with a second set of tires on nice rims. The tires weren’t much but I plan to have a set of studs put on for the winter. Drove it from Craigmont to Walla Walla yesterday. It handled well and seems to run great. The guy was pretty meticulous about maintenance. Just need to add a canoe rack to the canopy.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Those Danger Rangers are tough trucks. Always liked them.

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Drive this 66 Fairlane every so often. 4 speed.
Was driving my dads 56 Chevy 3 speed on the column when I was 14. Am 73 now

.com/gp/132359712N06/b03MKAXhF1][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Live action!

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
70 and still driving a 1985 Chevy C-10.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 06hunter59, 204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 66 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,302
Posts18,487,100
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.