Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
so I ended up buying a Vestal insert, 80's era. Heavy duty but its a "slammer".

I toyed with the idea of just installing it as is but after reading up on it, there was no shortage of "you'll burn your house down" experts out there so I went ahead and ordered a liner with insulation and a flue adapter. I need to retain the damper so I'm going to have to work with it a bit. There goes my AR money for awhile.

The hard part is going to be getting the existing flue out and chiseling out a 6" hole.

But doing it right means I can burn anytime I want and still sleep at night. Whether I bought a new one or a used one, I'm going to have to do all that to get it right.

At the end of the day I'm saving over $1K buying an older used one, and since its not going to be my primary form of heat, just emergency, I'm not really too wrapped around the axles about how efficient it is.

I'm going to get started on trying to take that flue out today.

Last edited by KFWA; 10/23/22.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
GB1

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Lopi pretty good Insert ..

Mine is Two Years Old ..

Blower takes awhile to come on..

Had to replace Catalytic Insert but it was covered under the Warranty..

I believe it was a result of the Installer ..
No Problem Since

These are Heavy Inserts

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KFWA
so I ended up buying a Vestal insert, 80's era. Heavy duty but its a "slammer".

I toyed with the idea of just installing it as is but after reading up on it, there was no shortage of "you'll burn your house down" experts out there so I went ahead and ordered a liner with insulation and a flue adapter. I need to retain the damper so I'm going to have to work with it a bit. There goes my AR money for awhile.

The hard part is going to be getting the existing flue out and chiseling out a 6" hole.

But doing it right means I can burn anytime I want and still sleep at night. Whether I bought a new one or a used one, I'm going to have to do all that to get it right.

At the end of the day I'm saving over $1K buying an older used one, and since its not going to be my primary form of heat, just emergency, I'm not really too wrapped around the axles about how efficient it is.

I'm going to get started on trying to take that flue out today.
What type of flue are you going to take out?

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
no idea, the house was built in 74

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 1,627 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,991
Posts18,520,231
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.