Hop To
Page 108 of 300 1 2 106 107 108 109 110 299 300
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Best whitetail to date strapped into the Dead Sled, the truck is a half hour away.

[Linked Image]

Luv seeing pics of that buck.....it is seriously one of the better whitetails to ever grace the 'Fire.

It's kind of hard to tell in that particular photo, but it sure does look like a brute.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Terryk
DQ after Sunday hike.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

👍👍👍

Dogs love their pup cups of ice cream.
😁

R
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
smokepole;
Good afternoon sir, I hope the day down in your section of Colorado is going more than less to plan and you're well.

With apologies to those who've read the story before, I shot him thinking he was a different buck and was unaware of him or anything close to that big.

While we do have some whitetails here, it's not great habitat and the MoE isn't managing them particularly well in my opinion. They're not Dakota subspecies either so while we do hear stories of them being taken that go 175lb hanging carcass, I've never seen one that big, much less killed one that size. Most years I'll maybe see one whitetail buck all season. Some years like last season I saw more moose than whitetails in total, despite hunting for both enough to get a thankyou card at Christmas from Esso - for diesel consumed.... wink

This one in '87 was considered a pretty big body - went 138lb into the cooler - and was aged at 7½ when I sent a tooth in.

[Linked Image]

This one from '92 was taken less than a kilometer from where the one on the sled came from, was 139lb into the cooler and I didn't get it aged but would guess 4 or 5? It's interesting to note that the palmation and small kickers between tines was present then, which was 20 years previous to the one on the Dead Sled.

[Linked Image]

The one above I shot when I kicked it up in heavy brush, called to to a halt and then saw a brow tine in the binos. I thought it was a spike, so shot it in the neck which was the only clear spot.

With the bigger one, I'd had an unusual year in that I'd actually seen 2 different bucks, one first rack 3 point and a second rack 4 point. On the second last weekend of season I missed the first rack buck standing broadside at maybe 80 yards. What happened and how I pulled that off remains a mystery to me smoke, but I did....

I recall thinking as it was running off, "Man it's running good with no lungs?" As it turned out it's lungs were fine since there was no indication of a scratch in the snow that day.

On the last weekend of season then, I was sitting on a stump and had completed my second series of calls with a grunt tube, when I saw antler tips coming through the replanted Doug Fir. Quickly I figured out where it'd give me a clear shot, so I stood up and shot it freehand as it's head made it past the Doug Firs. I was using a different rifle that weekend, being somewhat superstitious that way I'd left the one I'd missed with in the safe and dragged out a rifle that's been a bit "lucky" for me over the years, a reworked 77 Liberty Model rebarreled to .308 Norma in a stock I did up from a Richards semi-inletted blank.

[Linked Image]

You can see the trickle of blood where the 168TSX went in.

Interestingly it was super skinny, having no fat on the internal organs, very little on the rump and the rib fat had turned that pink color that it does when the animal is stressed. It weighed 125lb into the cooler so 15lb lighter more or less than the other two of the same age class. It's teeth were really worn too and though I didn't get it aged - that's not available for us though the MoE anymore - cutbacks - I'd say the teeth were at least as worn as the 7½ year old if not more so. It still surprises me how it grew the rack it did with the teeth in such rough shape.

I did score it once and want to say that the way it is - there's a broken tine on the right side - it's 167" gross or that's the number I recall now?

For our part of the world I've seen and personally scored two that were just a tad over 185, so there are bigger racks sometimes killed here, but the top two photos represent what would be considered "decent" south Okanagan bucks.

Hope that made sense, all the best and good hunting.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Remsen
I was at my cabin a few weeks ago and caught some trespassers in the act.

Gave them a warning, they just looked at me.

I can't say what happened next, but trespasser ribeye is a damn fine dinner.

What-tha?.......That’s so racist, bro!

Remember no more than 6 minutes a side for ribeye on a grill.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dwayne,

You’ve had a storied hunting career and you’re not even close to hanging it up for many years.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
R
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Dwayne is a solid dude!!!

And I love the way he can write things on here without blowing a gasket but put someone in their place with those words.

👍👍👍

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Dwayne, thanks for the story and photos, great stuff and an entertaining read as I sit here with ice on my knee, recovering from minor surgery. Love the horns on that buck.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
54 LBS Lake Sturgeon on the North Saskatchewan in Alberta

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Beaver10;
Good afternoon my friend, I trust your section of Oregon is getting weather it needs and you're all healthy.

Thanks for the kind words, I am honestly touched by them. Very kind.

This fellow here is responsible for my love of the hunt for sure Beaver. I remember him taking me shooting Snowshoe hare - "bush rabbits" - in Dad's Saskatchewan farmer parlance, before I was in school.

When my wife and I moved out here in '84, he had given me his hunting rifle which was a Model 100 in .308 that didn't always function and frankly shot patterns most days. He'd had a pace maker installed and his doctor cleared him for shooting, but with less recoil than a .308.

To say we were on a budget then is a gross understatement, but my good wife agreed to the project so I picked up an "extra clean" surplus 96 from Century Arms in Montreal and reworked it into a sporter for him. I know, I know Beaver, I wrecked a classic, but it was 1985 by then too.

Here he is with the rifle I put together for him.

[Linked Image]

He and I hunted together for about a decade after that and we had some grand, grand times afield.

By about 2000 he was unable to go up in the mountains anymore with me and gave the Swede back to me, saying that he hoped one of his many grand kids might be able to use it sometime.

When our two daughters decided to take up hunting, the eldest saw it in the back of the safe, asked about it and when she found out it was once her Grandad's, well Beaver it was her rifle from that day forward.

This is her with it with their first bucks - taken about 20 yards and 15 seconds apart.

[Linked Image]

All that to say then Beaver, I have been blessed far, FAR beyond anything I could ever have done to deserve.

Having a father who encouraged me to hunt, then hunted with me, then a wife who also encouraged and hunted with me for years until the girls were born and finally having kids who spent time afield with me. The eldest still does Beaver and we were up in the fresh snow yesterday morning looking for mulies and whitetail bucks, finding none but having a wonderful visit as usual. It was her 6th anniversary yesterday too - again a reminder of how fast this trip is. wink

Thanks again sir, you're kindness is appreciated.

All the best and good hunting.

Dwayne

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Spent 20 bucks at the high pressure wand car wash place.
Got wet as hell nuking the clutch housing, under carriage, wheels, wheel wells, hosed down the engine when it cooled off after washing the exterior with the brush.
Just knocked the major crud of the drivers side floor mat.
Be emptying that out thru out deer season anyways.

Spent about 2.5 hours on the almost 18 yr POS Colorado.
Hit it again in January after deer season.
Cleans up better than a sockpuppets ole lady after a weekend of "work" at the Bunny Ranch.👍👍😄😄

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dwayne, it doesn't get much better than your last post, well done!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by renegade50
Dwayne is a solid dude!!!

And I love the way he can write things on here without blowing a gasket but put someone in their place with those words.

👍👍👍

Agreed Dwayne is "The Salt of the Earth" kind of guy :o)

KB

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Been checking stands for deadfall, anything strange.

ZERO acorns.

Bastards will be on their feet for a change come Novembré.

Quien sabe baby!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
renegade50;
Again sir, I'll say thanks kindly to you too for the kind words, I am both touched by them and appreciate them - truly.

The thread you've started is a grand one and I'm happy and honored to be able to contribute.

I think we all need a little rest from the turmoil which presently surrounds us all.

This was us on Oahu on a very relaxing family vacation back in the day. Somehow as a family we took very few photos of ourselves over the years, but this was us then.

[Linked Image]

Speaking of turmoil and skin in the game, as of Friday here are a couple that now go to the Feds to be ground up when I cross over. I'm sure and certain the entirety of the Dominion of Canada is a safer place because of it....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm sure you all must wonder - as do we who are here - just exactly what sort of a rodeo with no pay window we're having up here on our side of the medicine line.

Anyways sir, this is a thread for those of us who both have done a few things and have chosen to share a wee bit of our respective lives. For me it's always fun to put a face and a place to the otherwise anonymous interwebs names. wink

Thanks to one and all who've contributed to renegade's thread here, I for one very much enjoy and appreciate seeing a slice of your respective worlds.

All the best and good hunting renegade.

Dwayne

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got wet as hell nuking the clutch housing, under carriage, wheels, wheel wells, hosed down the engine when it cooled off after washing the exterior with the brush.

Cleans up better than a sockpuppets ole lady after a weekend of "work" at the Bunny Ranch.👍👍😄😄

WAY too clean........... And where's the rust ???

If my truck was ever THAT clean, it'd think somebody else bought it.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Oh yeah, like anybody gives a fk.

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by akasparky

Somebody's little pussy is moist
LOL

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Raferman

Somebody's little pussy is moist
LOL

Chevys do that to the "I'm trying to decide on my pronouns" crowd. grin

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Oh......
You wanta see a almost 18 yr old engine compartment in the POS Colorado!

👍👍👍

Stink bait is just too irresistible to sockpuppets and d bags in this
"pics or it never happened" thread.
I love making them react!!!

🤣🤣🤣

Page 108 of 300 1 2 106 107 108 109 110 299 300

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,785 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,315
Posts18,487,306
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.