Print Thread
Hop To
T
TrapEd Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
My son and I crossed into Ontario on Saturday for our annual Canadian deer hunt. The border guard informed us of a new rule regarding bringing corn into Canada, it can not be mixed with anything period. It's an agricultural rule. At this point they turn you around to dispose of it. If you try and sneak it it it could cost up to 1300.00.

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thank you.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hi TrapEd, just out of curiosity, why would you bring corn into Canada, we do have metric tons of it here?

KB

T
TrapEd Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
In the past we mix it with minerals and some commercial products Like Big and J this year we planned on just corn and apples. Another group that stays at the same hotel was turned back yesterday for open corn. They were forced to dump a lot of corn and oats that they just mixed before the left.

Last edited by TrapEd; 10/29/22. Reason: Spelling
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In Alberta baiting is prohibited, I personally think this is stupid because I bow hunt Whitetail and baiting gives you a better opportunity at a more ethical shot.

Baiting is allowed in Saskatchewan, not sure about BC?

Last edited by KillerBee; 10/29/22.

KB

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Why not wait until you are ready to put out the corn before mixing it?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KillerBee
In Alberta baiting is prohibited, I personally think this is stupid because I bow hunt Whitetail and baiting gives you a better opportunity at a more ethical shot.

As much as it would be easier to hunt over bait can you imagine the bait sites that would be out all over here in Alberta if that was allowed. Our hunter numbers are too high I think. Besides not much skill required to hunt a bait. Sit, shut up and shoot

Rob
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good evening harv3589,

Of course, it's way easier, no disagreement there!

I do not see the deer populations tanking in SK or ON because of it. Again I mentioned that while bow hunting it is more ethical when you can position your quarry for the perfect kill shot.

I hunt with both a bow and rifle, and I have been for many years, so I understand both sides of the argument.

The only thing that I have seen that tanked our deer populations in Alberta is the government with their overzealous CWD culling program and our sometimes harsh winter conditions.

Cheers ~

KB

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
They sell grain in Canada.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Hi TrapEd, just out of curiosity, why would you bring corn into Canada, we do have metric tons of it here?

Our feeders are usually attached to a 5 gallon (US) can. I’m not sure they’d function with metric corn. 🤔

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WMR

Our feeders are usually attached to a 5 gallon (US) can. I’m not sure they’d function with metric corn. 🤔

LOL Good luck man I hope you slam a Booner!

Last edited by KillerBee; 10/30/22.

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by harv3589

As much as it would be easier to hunt over bait can you imagine the bait sites that would be out all over here in Alberta if that was allowed. Our hunter numbers are too high I think. Besides not much skill required to hunt a bait. Sit, shut up and shoot
That was Michigan when bait was legal. It turned into guy’s dropping front loader buckets of bait😂

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

KillerBee;
Good afternoon my friend, I trust this last weekend of October has been going smoothly for you all on your side of the big hills.

Somehow I'd thought that you all could bait bears there?

Here in BC we can't bait bears or hunt migratory waterfowl near lure crops or bait stations. It does appear we can bait deer, well moose, elk, mountain sheep, etc too, though I've got to admit I've not cogitated how one would bait mountain goats.

We hunted mountain goats up in the Stikine country back in '87 and came back alive, which afterward we considered to be a VERY successful mountain goat hunt! wink

Way back when I lived in Saskatchewan nearly 40 years ago now, I "think" bear baiting was legal, but don't recall at all about deer. They'd sure come in droves to our barley piles in the yard which were waiting to be run through the grain dryer, that I recall, but we weren't baiting them with it and never hunted off the yard piles.

All the best and good hunting.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good evening, Dawayne how are you this fine evening?

In my part of our blue planet, it is more like early fall, warm beautiful with zero ice on our lake last when year there was 1 foot of ice on it, I was shoveling daily, really loving it! Now there are geese and Mergansers on it still, picture below :o)

I think you can bait bears here, but to be honest I have never hunted bears in AB, got my fill in Manitoba around Riding Mountain National Park, will not kill another unless I am forced to. I moved here in 2000 and have been focusing on Moose, Elk, Whitetail and Mullies and enjoying the heck out of that.

We cannot bait ungulates during the hunting season in AB, however you can bait them preseason, most people use mineral concoctions, I personally have not baited them preseason.

I never have hunted Goats or Rams, looks like fun, just never had the opportunity and with my knees now at my age and after 15 years of football followed by decades of running 10k 4 times a week, my knees are pretty much shot, when I see a big hill, it looks like Mount Everest more than a foothill now haha.

How are you making our hunting with your beautiful daughters and exceptional rifles?

This is a picture of our little lake today, the deer are not moving and typically the Big Deer only really start moving the last week of November, so I will most likely only hunt then.

Cheers ~ Darren

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
KillerBee;
Good morning to you my cyber friend, I trust the weekend was a good one for you folks and you're all ready for whatever Halloween brings on your side of the big hills.

Thanks for the reply and wishes for good hunts, I appreciate it.

While I've been blessed to hunt both mountain goats and mountain sheep, as mentioned we didn't get a goat but did come back out of that steep but gorgeous country in the Grand Canyon of the Stikine alive.

On the sheep hunting front while I have friends who live in the Yukon now and chase Dahl and Stone sheep, I've only chased the local California Bighorns which are similar to the Rocky Mountain Bighorns you all have, but I'd say 20% smaller? We'll hunt the very same areas that they live for mule deer, elk and whitetails at certain times of the season, so even though it's been LEH since '96, I'm always looking for sheep when I'm in their area.

It was such a privilege and blessing to help out my old friend and hunting partner fill his LEH tag this fall with a very nice ram - as mentioned it was less than a kilometer from where I'd taken one 31 years and 2 days previous.

Regarding hunting with our daughters, our eldest is the one who still hunts with me as she and her husband live 5 minutes away which again does spoil me as a Dad. Our youngest is a high school teacher down in the Lower Mainland and hasn't hunted since a couple years before she left for university.

I'm not sure she'll ever hunt again, but then she was out here a couple summers back and we were driving in the mountains when a ruffed grouse wandered out on the road. Her first response was, "Oooh tasty chicken, come to me!" laugh

She did like to shoot grouse Darren and she was good at it too.

We used chickens for rifle practice for the girls and they always tried for either a head or neck shot with one of the too many .22's that live here. One of my many vices is an addiction to acquiring and modifying too many .22 rifles...

Some of these are no longer in the safe as they went down the road to pay for projects.

[Linked Image]

And more

[Linked Image]

And some ancient deactivated ones in the shop.

[Linked Image]

My name is Dwayne and I have an addiction to .22's.... apparently.

Thanks again and all the best.

Dwayne

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"My name is Dwayne and I have an addiction to .22's.... apparently." lmao

What kind of Grouse do you hunt in your area Dwayne?

Huning in BC for sheep is an entirely different than hunting them in Alberta, really tough here. I lived in Radium Hot Springs for about 6 months 5 years ago. There are Giant Bighorn Rams right in the city!

Cheers ~ Darren

Last edited by KillerBee; 10/31/22.

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Darren;
Good afternoon, I trust the last day of October is only spooky because it's Halloween and everything else is lined out and running straight.

We have Ruffed, Spruce and Blue grouse here, as well as a very few pheasants, California Quail and again very few Chukar and Hungarian Partridge.

I'll note that I've not seen a Hun in maybe 30 years here and it's been at least 15 years since I've seen a Chukar.

Sheep hunting here in the valley is LEH now and there's no point system, so one can put in for the rest of your life and not get any closer to being drawn for one of two tags on the mountain behind our place. I want to say it was 330:1 odds this year?

Also it's a tough hunt now because if you don't know the area, there's not lots of sheep, much less rams, so one night buddy with the draw ran into the other tag holder who was from 5 hours away!! We didn't hear if she got a ram or not.

The ones in Radium and on the highway by Golden sort of give one a false impression of what it'd be like to hunt them. I think it's a draw there too now come to think of it.

All the best.

Dwayne

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Over in the Lake Chelan area which is south of Dwayne on this side of the medicine line I’m forever dodging bighorn sheep in the roadway (97A) while up lake is more goat country.

As to the topic of baiting Mtn goats I know of a few sourdoughs, including my father in law, that had great luck using their urine as “bait”. The minerals or lack of minerals might be behind the behavior but after setting up a spike camp they’d immediately find some rocks and dirt to pee on, put on a white sheet and wait for the goats. According to a couple of old timers they never had to wait long before the goats were furiously licking the rocks they pee’d on. I don’t have any firsthand knowledge, just relaying what I’ve been told through the years.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Darren;
Good afternoon, I trust the last day of October is only spooky because it's Halloween and everything else is lined out and running straight.

We have Ruffed, Spruce and Blue grouse here, as well as a very few pheasants, California Quail and again very few Chukar and Hungarian Partridge.

I'll note that I've not seen a Hun in maybe 30 years here and it's been at least 15 years since I've seen a Chukar.

Sheep hunting here in the valley is LEH now and there's no point system, so one can put in for the rest of your life and not get any closer to being drawn for one of two tags on the mountain behind our place. I want to say it was 330:1 odds this year?

Also it's a tough hunt now because if you don't know the area, there's not lots of sheep, much less rams, so one night buddy with the draw ran into the other tag holder who was from 5 hours away!! We didn't hear if she got a ram or not.

The ones in Radium and on the highway by Golden sort of give one a false impression of what it'd be like to hunt them. I think it's a draw there too now come to think of it.

All the best.

Dwayne

Hi Dwayne, you sure do get the wrong impression, when I was in Radium, I got the impression that BC was crawling with sheep. When I went out of my house more often than not, they were bedded on my front lawn. They were also all over town, pretty neat to see actually. Here are a few pictures of Sheep in Radium I found on the internet.

When it comes to Ruffed Grouse, I think they are the best eating of any game bird. I grew up hunting them as well as Woodcock over world class bird dogs. My favorite way to eat them is by Fondue in Peanut Oil, have you ever tried them that way?

The last time I personally saw sheep in AB was when I was hinting Elk in the Wilmore Area, and that was an 8-hour horseback ride into the mountains, and to get at them you would have had to hike up some very large Mountains!

Last edited by KillerBee; 11/01/22.

KB

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 204guy, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 56 invisible), 2,412 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,306
Posts18,487,165
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.