Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
The frequency of questions regarding the Weber Kettle has been increasing. Fortunately for those that have questions, Flave learned to cook all formerly living things on a Weber Kettle at a young age. And, he is willing to type out some helpful hints. These hints are not based on some butt-fugk looking for a new way to rake in some dough on his monetized videos. These are just simple ways to address the pros and cons of the system, and an advisement of what works and what is a waste of your time.

First and foremost, if you do not have a grill or BBQ, and you do not want to take the plunge on a quality steel charcoal/wood grill, or a full ceramic like the BGE, or Kamado, you cannot go wrong with a Weber Kettle. They are relatively inexpensive, easily transported and/or stored, and they afford you the opportunity to truly learn how to grill, smoke, and BBQ in general. You could also go with a pellet, gas, or electric type but then you'd be using an oven outside and that's not what we are here to discuss.

So, how do we cook with a Weber Kettle? Here you go:

First thing you'll need beside a Weber Kettle, is two big bags of Kingsford Charcoal, two charcoal chimneys, a bottle of lighter fluid, and a box of Tumbleweed (or similar) firestarters. No you do not need lump charcoal made from Amazonian Redwood that was aged in the cellar of an Italian winery. You just need some fugkin' Kingsford. No, lighter fluid will not make your food taste like lighter fluid. People that say this don't know WTF they're talking about.

If you have an old Weber Kettle, you need to install a thermometer. It should be centered and on the opposite side of the vent on your lid. If you are unsure of the placement, google the image of a newer style and use that as your guide. This will require about $20, and a drill. It's not optional. It's essential for using a Weber Kettle to its full potential.

The first type of cooking is very straight forward but will end up being your least commonly used. This method is for what I refer to as Nebraska Style cooking. You're going to fill one of your charcoal chimneys about 10% full and pour lighter fluid on them. Then fill your charcoal chimney. Light the bottom. When the entire thing is gray, orange, and terrifying, pour it into the Weber Kettle, spread them around evenly with the implement of your choice, add the cooking grate, and start burning your hot dogs or whatever bullschit your wife got you "cooking" for the special occasion nobody gives a schit about.

This is also a great way to cook a frozen pizza. Note dispersion of the charcoal. Simple.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Now for the method you're going to use on 90% of your Weber Kettle needs. Some people call this the "indirect" method but that is a misnomer. It should be called the "how to use your Weber Kettle because the way your dad did it was fugking stupid" method.

Grab two charcoal chimneys. Fill to roughly 10%. Douse with lighter fluid. Fill to the top with charcoal. Put two Tumbleweeds on the charcoal grate of your Weber. Light them. Place one charcoal chimney over one Tumbleweed.

Now, after approximately 10-15 minutes, that Tumbleweed will be the vanished remains of its former self, and those bottom few coals will be good and orange/grey. Pick up the charcoal chimneys and dump one on each side of the charcoal grate. One on the left, one on the right. Leave a gap between them:

Now, put the cooking grate on, and keep your lower vent to an open position. Give it air:

Keep your top vent barely open, give it little to no air:

Now, figure out what temp you want your Weber at. If we are smoking a bird, brisket, or ribs our target is going to be 250ish. The temp is going to quickly climb to 200. Now bump your top vent just a smidge and watch it. It shouldn't take too long to get to your target temperature. If it's climbing too fast, close the vents on the bottom, it's getting too much air. If your target temp is 350, simply give it more air and monitor until it plateaus on the temp you want. This is where the Weber Kettle gets a "finicky" reputation but it's largely unwarranted. It is a little less than ideal, but with a bit of time and effort you'll see that you can get it to the temp you want (and keep it there) quickly. Your Weber can and will get to 450 or higher in short order. You have to watch it and bump incrementally at this stage.

If you have questions about the use of your Weber Kettle, it's important to stop and understand what we are doing here. You now have a small quantity of lit/hot briquettes butted up against a large quantity of unlit briquettes. All you need to do from here is establish the proper amount of airflow. The briquettes will take care of themselves. Give it all the air you can, and it will go full throttle in short order and burn through what you have in the Weber. Give it very little throttle and your gas tank is going to last a lot longer than you thought it could. You do not need to perform any special arrangement of the charcoal or count the fugking briquettes. The air is going to allow them to catch and use the amount needed for the temp you're after. The thermometer is your speedometer and the vents are your brake/throttle. This system is no different than a big ceramic. I do not need to measure the amount of lump charcoal I'm putting in the bowels of my Big Green Egg. I fill it, light it, and monitor air flow. The rest takes care of itself. Your Weber will do the exact same thing albeit not as efficiently as a ceramic because it does not have the capacity or insulating properties a ceramic does. Again, it is important you understand this if you want to learn to grill/BBQ, and if you can grill BBQ on a Weber Kettle, you will be able to grill/BBQ on anything.

Here is one example of using this method as efficiently as possible. We have water soaked corn directly over the heat. Pork tenderloin "baking" and being seared on one side as they are rotated, bratwurst getting direct heat and being seared, while the bake potatoes bake. Temp is being maintained around 350 and the temp stays there. Lid is on at all times. No flare ups. Lid is only removed for turning meat or taking it off when it's done.

Here's another example:

Ribs staying in the middle and cooking at 300. Wings stay over the direct portion and will be done for halftime. Ribs and baked potatoes will be for the Sunday Night Game. Get the idea?

That's your primer and this will be the basis for all your cooks. I will get into specifics regarding legit BBQ (ribs, shoulders, and brisket) tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
How generous of you...you old [bleep]!

Hahahaha!

I am MAGA.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
News paper works fine with chimneys. Weber also makes the best chimneys.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Flave is right however........fluid is fine.

I am MAGA.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I want pneumatic tires on my kettle.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Of all the kettles I own....the Jumbo Joe is probably the most useful.

You can cook dinner for 10 people on a thimble of charcoal.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is what I use to light my charcoal, works good.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Just put your charcoal chimney on one of the burners of your gas stove. It'll light up pretty quick.

No gas stove? Get that fixed right away.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by FishinHank
This is what I use to light my charcoal, works good.

Thats a good deal Hank.

I am MAGA.
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Nothing works faster than the method I described. None of this is open for debate. I am a better cook than any of you.

Ribs:

If you are doing two racks, get your Weber Kettle to 250. Keep the coals pushed back to allow for an empty space that can accommodate both slabs of ribs. You do not need to add wood here. The Kingsord briquettes have plenty. They will provide a good smoke ring. Do not add a pan filled with water. We are not putting moisture into this cook, we're getting moisture out of this cook. you're at 250, place both ribs face down and in the middle. Let them cook for two hours.

You should be walking out and checking temp every 30 minutes for the first hour, once it is set you can check temp every hour or 90 minutes.

At the 90 minute mark, rotate your ribs. This will help ensure an even cook if the coals are not perfectly distributed. And they probably aren't.

At the three hour mark, flip them meat side up and add sauce if you're adding sauce. Let them go for another hour. Our temp is staying at 250.

At the four hour mark, pull them off one at a time and wrap them in foil. Before wrapping they're going to look like this:

When they're wrapped, put them meat side up and back on the cooking grate.

As you can see in the above pic, there is plenty of hellfire left in the bottom of the Weber, and we are already in the final hour of the cook. Leave the wrapped ribs for another 45-60 minutes. Pull and let set for at least an hour.

These ribs will be falling the eff apart and have a perfect amount of black, sticky char to them.

If you only want to do one rack of ribs, you can follow an abbreviated form the above procedure and run the Weber @ 300 for the entire cook. The bones will come clean but will not fall apart like they will on a slower cook and many people prefer this. There will also be more of what many consider to be a "perfect" smoke ring formed around the edge of each rib. Either type is incredible and you won't be disappointed. But you need to try them both for a few different cooks before you decide which you prefer.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Looks good, I love a grilled rib, I did some awhile back, didn't wrap them, when they hit 160, I started basting them with Wickers, 170 squeeze butter, 180 more wickers, 190 more squeeze butter, finished them up with some sauce at the end around 195. I like a light char and dont like them too wet. I did buy the side charcoal holders for the webber to help keep the coals to the side. I find myself cooking on my weber way more than my bge.

Last edited by killerv; 10/24/22.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I’m amazed how versatile a Weber kettle is. Most of my grilling is on a little jumbo Joe or 26” depending on how many are eating. I use the vortex cone for holding the charcoal now and just hit the charcoal in it with a propane weed burner. Pretty simple and fast. Hit it for 30 seconds or so with the weed burner and another 30 seconds with a leaf blower. Both things I keep setting by the grills anyway so it’s not going out of the way.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Seems pretty straight forward !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
This is very thoughtful of you. Do you think Kenneth can comprende?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The kettle can make some good grub

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Thank you for educating me. One question, though....does this work for meat that doesn't come from a pig?

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
3 bone beef plate ribs above…

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I steal my neighbors' newspapers.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice meat.

Weber Kettles kick azz. The original 22” can get a bit tight on space though. Particularly when cooking indirect.

I want to put together an UDS.
Built a barrel cooker out of a wine barrel and it was pretty sweet. Drafty SOB, especially when it was dried out and had gaps in the staves. Was awesome for cool smoking with an Amzn pellet burner.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Tag.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 51 invisible), 2,707 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,195
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.