Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A Howa Mini would be on my short list if it came in left hand. But since they obviously don't want my business, I'd choose Tikka.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
HR IC

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Trystan
Howa you ask this question? I tikka you know the answer!

πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have both, Tikka is a bit lighter, both are good choices.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
IMO, the stocks on the basic Howa 1500s are terrible, so you'd probably want to factor the cost of a replacement stock if you choose the Howa.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No wrong answer in this scenario. Enjoy whatever you choose.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

β€œOwning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've owned several Weatherby Vanguard II's in various cals made by Howa as well as several Tikka T3, T3x and Ctr rifles in various cals.

In my experience both brands can be outstanding in accuracy (1/2" or less groups with handloads). The Tikka's are lighter in weight and have better factory triggers. The Howa's/Vanguards have a better bedding system & recoil lug and have more metal vs plastic on the Tikka's.

Both are pretty good factory rifles and I'd choose either brand over a Remington 700, Savage Axis, Ruger American etc.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My Tikka 308 T3 topped with S&B Polar 4-16x56. Shoot very tiny little groups with just about everything I feed it. Mine is setup for low light hunting, thus the big optic, however it is still the lightest rifle I own.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
A Howa Mini would be on my short list if it came in left hand. But since they obviously don't want my business, I'd choose Tikka.

Funny. I’m a righty, but had to shoot my deer left-handed because she came in on the wrong side. My son has a weak right eye and has been shooting RH rifles left-handed all his life. He can find LH bows, but usually has to special order.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Both are good, but Tikka has a detachable mag and the howa one will never fall out. Both shoot well. A Tikka weighs about 75% percent of a comparable howa.....mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
J
JD7 Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Definitely the howa/vanguard. The tikkas are accurate and light but cheaply built. The howa is a superior built rifle. One piece bolt, heavier receiver with integral recoil lug, better extractor none of which you will find on a tikka.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have never owned either but I know people who do. They all have accurate rifles with factory ammo and I have heard nothing about any of them having issues. After handling both brands I would go with Tikka as the just fit my hands better. Both get good reviews from owners that for sure.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have both howa and tikka rifles. In my opinion the tikka is the better rifle. One thing I dont like about the new howa is the three way safety, mine are all the older two way saftey rifles. My tikka is the hunter with the wood stock in 300 winchester. It has more felt recoil then the synthetic stock howa I have in 338 Winchester.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Can only attest to the Howa 1500 and Weatherby Vanguard. Accurate and well made rifles IMO.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Have a T3X in 30-06. Very accurate and sub 8lbs with a fairly heft scope and rings on board. Love it and see no reason to ever sell.

That said, I checked out a Howa super light at a local tow emporium and really liked it. Too bad they don't come left-handed. I'd be on one of those like a fat kid on a ho-ho.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a case of that Norma 308 ammo that was on sale a while back ($15/box IIRC), and didn't even have a rifle that was chambered in 308... it was just too good of a deal to pass on.

Just last week I decided I should have something to shoot that ammo in, so I picked up the Tikka Superlite from Cabela's. Mounted a Burris 4.5-14, and headed to the range.

Shot 1 - 2" right and 4" low (Adjust scope)
Shot 2 - Bullseye
Shots 3, 4, and 5 - .75" group right on the bullseye

Pretty darned simple. I like simple.

No experience with Howa. No need to change.

Last edited by ELKiller; 10/24/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Scheels at The Colony will have both on the floor for you to fondle.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Have both. Liked the Howa better when the Hogue stock was replaced. With the stock change, it is still portly. The action feels more solid. With that that, the Tikka just feel better in all the right places; weight, trigger and stock. My vote is the Tikka.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mohawk
Both are great rifles. I prefer the Tikka as it is lighter and it handles better for ME. You cant go wrong with either. You really need to handle them both.
This

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ELKiller
I bought a case of that Norma 308 ammo that was on sale a while back ($15/box IIRC), and didn't even have a rifle that was chambered in 308... it was just too good of a deal to pass on.

Just last week I decided I should have something to shoot that ammo in, so I picked up the Tikka Superlite from Cabela's. Mounted a Burris 4.5-14, and headed to the range.

Shot 1 - 2" right and 4" low (Adjust scope)
Shot 2 - Bullseye
Shots 3, 4, and 5 - .75" group right on the bullseye

Pretty darned simple. I like simple.

No experience with Howa. No need to change.

Like I said in my first post. This is a "rhetorical" question. Tikka is the way to go, especially over a Howa. Speaking of 308, my buddy wanted me to go with him the other day and check out his dads Tikka 308. I said sure and went to the range. When he pulled it out, I noticed it was an older T3 stainless varmint model. He asked if I would check his scope and mounts etc, so I checked everything, tightened up a few screws and he dialed it in. He wanted me to see how it shot to verify it was good:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

5 shots into the same hole^^^, even though it doesn't look like it. His phone app (Ballistic X, I believe) said it was a .100" center to center group. I told him it was probably closer to 1/4" (.250"). After that, we went to the 400 yard range and fired off some 1" groups there. My personal Tikka 308 is a T3 stainless lite model and I wished it shot that well, but it is quite a bit lighter than the varmint model. Mine only shoots this well:

That was one of the first groups fired with that rifle. I recently put it in a new stock, as I never use it and it may go on the chopping block:
It's actually a T3 model that I put in a T3X stock, switched out the aluminum recoil lug with a stainless one, and replaced the plastic bolt shroud with an aluminum one. The T3's were great, but the T3x is an upgrade with those parts. I've had Weatherby vanguards and those shot well, but had extraction issues. Kind of like Savage, they shoot great most times, but tend to have miniscule issues that Tikka does not. For me, it's a no brainer: Tikka 100%, when comparing it to a Howa or Vanguard.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I've owned both Howa and Weatherby Vanguards.
All of them shot very well.

Have had 3 Tikkas as well.
For me, Tikka wins hands down.

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

197 members (17CalFan, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 10ring1, 24 invisible), 2,066 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,503
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.