Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by martinstrummer
Well, you can add a couple of 90's and simply run it through the wall.
....or you can run it through the roof.
I believe I'd run it through the wall before I'd go straight up two stories to go through the roof.
An 8×8, 2 story shed?
Kind of an odd configuration, but whatever.

I'd go up 1 full length of stove pipe, 90° back to the wall.
I think standard stove pipe is 36".
I'd set the stove 24" from the wall and carry the stove pipe 18" from any exterior wall.
That will keep you from having to work off a ladder or climb something to go through the roof.
Through the wall may cause some draft problems, but nothing that can't be overcome.
It is generally considered a stove pipe should clear the ridgeline of a home by 2 feet.

Good luck!
the 90 thru the wall should increse the aount of heat retained inside too. especially if you make the 90 on the second floor.

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 10/25/22.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
GB4

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I made mine for my workshop - got some ceramic fiber insulation and a couple of stove collars

dissipates heat really well. I didn't want to go thru the attic floor and out the roof. Probably $70 worth of material.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by KFWA; 10/25/22.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by KFWA
I made mine for my workshop - got some ceramic fiber insulation and a couple of stove collars

dissipates heat really well. I didn't want to go thru the attic floor and out the roof. Probably $70 worth of material.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I see some of that Ceramic Blanket in the hole.

Good stuff right there

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I went thru Northline Express. DuraVent pipe and kits. Little to a lot. They have everything and ship quick.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
M
Malcolm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I discovered today that creosote build up happens to an outside pipe whether it is single double or tripple walled.The double wall pipe allows for closer clearances to combustibles ,especially if the inter air space is filled with a fire clay or wool.
There is a gye on utube who makes his own with a 1 in. air space. He puts 6 inch pipe inside 8 inch held apart with metal tabs pop riveted.
Yes it is 8x8 square and @ 15 feet high for a look out in the loft which doubles as a second floor. 4 4x6 14 foot poles 2 feet in the ground mortice and tenon construction also called post and beam.
Ther is a place outside of town that ,in the late 19th Century , was located a clay deposit that,when assayed in Seattle was found to be fire clay which doesn't burn and which supplied bricks all over the world when things were steam and they needed to line their boilers..I think I'll go out there and see if I can locate it so as to custom make any shapes I need for the project. I recon I could ontact some excavation companies in the area who are digging or inquire at the City Hall Museum about the former operation and just where the deposit was.

Last edited by Malcolm; 10/26/22.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You get hugely more creosote buildup in single wall flue

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Malcolm
Thanx for the info. Tin roof no insulation, want to use single wall stove pipe , will look at stove store ideas ,

Two story single wall pipe out an non insulated tin roof spells creosote chimney fire for sure.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
You get hugely more creosote buildup in single wall flue

This.

Yes, you can get creosote in single/double/triple. The double/triple will maintain their internal (high) temp better/get less condensation/develop MUCH less creosote. Also, if you DO get a chimney fire, the extra walls should help in that respect as well (keep the outer wall from getting hot as quickly).

Do as you wish, but chimney fires are REAL and can be disastrous.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ducted propane would work well for such a small volume. No fuss, no chimney fires.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I discovered today that creosote build up happens to an outside pipe whether it is single double or tripple walled.The double wall pipe allows for closer clearances to combustibles ,especially if the inter air space is filled with a fire clay or wool.
There is a gye on utube who makes his own with a 1 in. air space. He puts 6 inch pipe inside 8 inch held apart with metal tabs pop riveted.
Yes it is 8x8 square and @ 15 feet high for a look out in the loft which doubles as a second floor. 4 4x6 14 foot poles 2 feet in the ground mortice and tenon construction also called post and beam.
Ther is a place outside of town that ,in the late 19th Century , was located a clay deposit that,when assayed in Seattle was found to be fire clay which doesn't burn and which supplied bricks all over the world when things were steam and they needed to line their boilers..I think I'll go out there and see if I can locate it so as to custom make any shapes I need for the project. I recon I could ontact some excavation companies in the area who are digging or inquire at the City Hall Museum about the former operation and just where the deposit was.

you should have said you wanted to do this the hardest way possible when you first posted.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Funny, but too true

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Less than 2 minutes.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by KFWA

you should have said you wanted to do this the hardest way possible when you first posted.

Don’t go raining on his parade. He wants to take a field trip to the clay pits.....create some shapes..fire them in the kiln...You know—re-invent the wheel...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The official redneck way is to use a 22 rifle to get the hole where you want it

Campfire Ranger
Online Shocked
Campfire Ranger
90's store chit over time straight an a damper sheet metal and some distance from Framing....leather rip

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Less than 2 minutes.

Excellent description of the process but you need to have the top of your flue at least at ridge height for it to draw properly
Also DO NOT silicone internal flue

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
He also has his flue sections upside down, the female joint should be at the top otherwise condensation and creosote will run down the outside of the flue leading to manky stains

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

261 members (14idaho, 2500HD, 16penny, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 42 invisible), 2,078 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,992
Posts18,481,109
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.