Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
macrabbit,
I'm an older hunter, schooled concerning austere camp life by elder hunters before me..as well as military combat experience 'camping' far from ameneties even as basic as camp latrines with 55 gallong cans beneath the shack floor..:)

Deuteronomy 23:13 ( NIV) describes how the Israelite warriors-travelers were to deal with such matters when camped:

"As part of your equipment have something to dig with, and when you relieve yourself, dig a hole and cover up your excrement."

This was I am thinking primarily for reduction of disease among soldiers-campers centuries ago when hygiene had to be done best they could.

I am assuming the 'vestibule' you speak of is like a tent fly outside the entrance to the tent, offering some shelter?

Much of what folks do or accept is what they are used to..sometimes regardless of innovation-new practicality..

Old story about native americanms observing the living habits of the white settlers went something like this:

"White man strange..Go poop inside house and cook ouside..:)"

I'm pretty particular about the camp area, whether it is I alone in a very basic bivvy camp, or camped with others..
Don't like putting any trash into the camp fire as if it was an incenerator..no more than I would burn household trash in the fireplace at home.
Our campfire is usually small, no more than a fire pit perhaps screened with rocks where one can warm himself, perhaps cook on a stick, bake a foil wrapped pototo or fish..and so no trash goes into the fire and no plastic..can lids etc.

In areas where others may camp later, fire pits with scrap can lids , foil, melted plastic are a nuisance and generally the shovel comes out and the pit is cleaned up before we will use it..with the remnants of trash disposed of, packed out or buried properly.

Again, different folks will have varying views on what they consider sanitary camp habits..
If your technique works for you and family, by all means use it.
Camping with small children and or women poses different challenges than gruwn men-hunters camping in proximity to one another..Jim

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yes, that sort of vestibule.

I burn every burnable. Paper goods at almost any time, misc. plastics if the smoke and residue will not interfere with cooking or camaraderie; otherwise during a late night session alone. If garbage has piled up, I set aside a time when I can get up a good bed of coals in the bottom of the pit, I fill the pit with crossing long and gnarly sticks so that I can have lots of flame and maximum air all through, and I put on the trash a few pieces at a time, spread to avoid smotherance. Metals don't make it, aluminum-backed paper powders to nothing, and plastic is not allowed to clump. Our last few days saw weather that prevented enjoying a campfire, so we generated a fair amount, plus there was quite a bit of stuff no longer needed at the end of the trip. My final pyre incineration took over an hour, with another hour of enjoyment/further heat to be sure to leave only ashes.
(Bivy packages dry, burn, ash up.)
This year I made a good effort to burn our hunting camp's trash - so whereas last year we generated at least five bulging garbage bags, and had trouble fitting them into our gear-stuffed vehicles for the 50-mile drive to town, this year's trip, with an average of 2 1/2 people for three weeks saw one wimpy bag (taken in early), one full (that included much burnable from my buddy's clean-up the day he packed up his tent halfway through the trip), and one handily partial (representing the last eleven days of the trip, two people).

I hope none of you other sensitives is reduced to using a bedpan! grin

BTW, I'm having fun with this. No need to, and not gonna, get argumentative.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Mac

In bad weather, I'm with ya. I don't understand all the others either. It's poo, whats the deal? I spent 1 year wiping my Dad's butt as he died, though I've never had kids...

AND our master bath is smaller than my tent by far...

Though I had not thought of the poncho bit, I have been thinking poncho, lightweight, as a solution to a top big enough for the pack on etc.... when it starts pouring and I'm out, mix with rain pants and the poncho could be a good deal all around too.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
macrabbit..Maybe I got into the habits I still use when a jungle combat soldier..:)??

We did our best to leave little-no trace of our 'camps' nor create much scent from anything which might give away our location at night..Many, many times a cold camp..

We must camp-hunt a bit lighter than you do..:)
I can't recall we ever generated over a half hefty garbage bag of 'refuse' to pack out between the three or four of us in over a week..:)
As I said, IF your tactics work for you and those with you and you feel like your imprint on the land is acceptable, certainly don't need to change on my account..:)Jim

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yes, this hunt is full-service car-camping. Some of our guys go through single-serving water bottles like I can't fathom. We use paper plates and plastic utensils to cut down on dish duties. Some accoutrements use those little propane canisters. Add canned or bottled food, beer and soda cans, paper towels up the wazoo, bakery clamshells, ...

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thank you for some level of support.

Ponchos sound good to me, at least in theory.
I haven't tried one because I hate restriction, like my arms free.
I occasionally use a poncho at home, usually when barbecuing in the winter, and find it uncomfortable.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 160user, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 3,030 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,482
Posts18,490,236
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.