Print Thread
Hop To
L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
I got a deal on a few boxes of 73 ELDM’s from a friend and my 22-250 NULA really likes them. Anyone tried this specific bullet on deer and such? I’m betting it’ll work fine.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
GB1

D
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
D
Curious myself.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If you asked again but included the 75 gr ELDM I’d raise my hand with a positive review from a 1-8” .223 Rem.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by LBP
I got a deal on a few boxes of 73 ELDM’s from a friend and my 22-250 NULA really likes them. Anyone tried this specific bullet on deer and such? I’m betting it’ll work fine.

Les, as you may know, the FBI did some penetration tests with this bullet, and it did not pass their requirements. It's a bullet you don't hear much about. I love them for shooting paper and steel, but don't know how much I'd trust them on deer..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd use it for deer if I was toting a bolt 223. In my 223 rifles, the 73 ELD is much more accurate than the 75 gr ELD.
This is in rifles with 1 in 9 and 1 in 8 twists. Slow the ELD down, instead of rocketing its MV, and it will do quite well.

Same principal I noticed with many plastic tip varmint bullets. Run them fast they are explosive , slow them down and they will act just like a regular big game bullet. Just make sure before you pull the trigger, your game is within the parameters or envelope in which the bullet will work at those speeds.l

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
D
I saw a gel test on YouTube for this bullet done by AR.com and he was shooting from 10 yards away and still got 10” of penetration. I would think that at 223 speeds at a farther distance, penetration would improve. There are several individuals who are doing gel tests who shoot at 100 yards, and in my opinion this is a better approach. I would like to know what distance the FBI tested at.

Edit:

The FBI shoots into the gel from 10ft for their test. I do not think that this test translates into a failure as a hunting bullet. This ballistic tip style, be it SST or TTSX, is known to promote more rapid expansion. At 10ft and doing essentially the muzzle velocity, of course it’s going to come apart and penetrate less.

https://www.hornadyle.com/resources/fbi-test-protocol

Last edited by Deere_Man; 03/31/24.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Deere_Man
I saw a gel test on YouTube for this bullet done by AR.com and he was shooting from 10 yards away and still got 10” of penetration. I would think that at 223 speeds at a farther distance, penetration would improve. There are several individuals who are doing gel tests who shoot at 100 yards, and in my opinion this is a better approach. I would like to know what distance the FBI tested at.

Edit:

The FBI shoots into the gel from 10ft for their test. I do not think that this test translates into a failure as a hunting bullet. This ballistic tip style, be it SST or TTSX, is known to promote more rapid expansion. At 10ft and doing essentially the muzzle velocity, of course it’s going to come apart and penetrate less.

As a comparison, check out how the 77 TMK did. It may surprise you.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yup- killed several whitetails and some blackbuck with 73gr ELDM factory ammo in an AR platform. Terminal performance was good, biggest buck to date was 1 and done at 200 yards. Don't expect pass throughs but they will expand fine and shred everything between both sides of the rib cage.

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Deere_Man

Edit:

As a comparison, check out how the 77 TMK did. It may surprise you.

I can’t find a link to the 73 eldm and 77 tmk buddy, can you help me out?

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

227 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 20 invisible), 1,654 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,120
Posts18,483,627
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.