Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
SLM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
NM’, what’s your guess on what it will do for odds?

My guess it will have little to no affect on the Northern units? Not sure what to think about the Central/Southern units where long range was more in play? Seems the guys I’ve talked to around here are split on it.

GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I think it’ll be just like the flip flop on Q/hd vs Std hunts. Everyone chasing odds from the year before. It might be tough for a year or two because everyone thinks it’s gonna makes odds better and in turn make them worse. I’m really not sure if it’ll affect anything in the long run with total number of applicants the way they are.

I absolutely hate muzzleloaders, but, I love good dates, early or late and certain units and big critters so it won’t affect me, I’ll keep applying. If they change it to atl atl only, I guess I’ll be a spear chucker.

One thing I noticed was that they claimed wound loss would go down which I believe is totally false. Guys will still continue to push their limits.

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
S
SLM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I think you’re right on the next couple years. I laughed on the wound statements as well.

ML’s are a love hate relationship for me as well. Mostly in it for 1 unit.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by MikeS
Originally Posted by Bill_N
Saw this on FB this morning -

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

How does that little guy hold up that rifle??

Nothing primitive about that rifle for a primitive hunt. Most of the hunters I know couldn't take that shot with a CF Rifle, which is sad.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Bill_N
Saw this on FB this morning -

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Pretty sure that’s mike Jahnke from down Medford, buddy guided him to a dandy Roosevelt in Oregon this year. Good hunter, kills alotta nice critters. 👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by NMpistolero
I think it’ll be just like the flip flop on Q/hd vs Std hunts. Everyone chasing odds from the year before. It might be tough for a year or two because everyone thinks it’s gonna makes odds better and in turn make them worse. I’m really not sure if it’ll affect anything in the long run with total number of applicants the way they are.

I absolutely hate muzzleloaders, but, I love good dates, early or late and certain units and big critters so it won’t affect me, I’ll keep applying. If they change it to atl atl only, I guess I’ll be a spear chucker.

One thing I noticed was that they claimed wound loss would go down which I believe is totally false. Guys will still continue to push their limits.

Don't believe it either. Have seen those 100 yard bow shots and 800 yard rifle shots by those nuts and the "lost" animals. Helped a guy track a wounded bull, he gave up after 5 minutes or so and I carried on for another 2 hrs by myself and the guy was a complete stranger. Found the bull the next day about a mile away at least what the bear left. Nice 100 yard archery shot he bragged.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by SLM
NM’, what’s your guess on what it will do for odds?

My guess it will have little to no affect on the Northern units? Not sure what to think about the Central/Southern units where long range was more in play? Seems the guys I’ve talked to around here are split on it.

Know you didn't ask me but I think it will affect little. Maybe the crappy poverty units which I hunt in the central areas might be a bit more available but with today's tag demands, it won't be a game changer on odds IMO. I'd love to be wrong....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
S
SLM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I don’t think you’ll be wrong.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by SLM
Question for the masses that is coming up a bunch around here now.

If you’re against ML’s shooting past say 200, are you also against 100 yard bow shots and 6/700 yard rifle shots?

It seems like the commission is just trying get the success ratio for muzzy back to historical levels. There's always going to be people pushing the range with any weapon. I just hope they've practiced at that range beforehand and acquired the skills to make a long range shot.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Gotcha. Much like a Lyman 21 on a muzzleloader instead.
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Or a garden variety Williams Peep.
[Linked Image from gohunt.com]

That'd be a bit harder to legislate than just banning "telescoping sights" I'd think as they'd have to define the difference between a "sliding" sight and an "elevation adjustable" sight.

Tinman! Wanna sell that #21????

Ok, ok, I know. Aint yours!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Oh yeah????? What do you got for metaphorical trade?

I did pass on an old Win 1897 in .30-40 a while back that had a Lyman 21 on it.....still kicking myself.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
“Where this has a bunch of people scratching their head is in the NM units that are strictly archery and ML elk. In the same meeting (actually minutes before introducing the ban) the NMDGF said the herds in those units were on the rise”

To me that is where this change can really shine. They should be able to substantially increase tags in those units.

Venor ergo sum
S
SLM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
That is a possibility and could be a good thing, but you factor in E-Plus and then does it become a crowding issue? One of the units has ~200 unit wide authorizations.

Originally Posted by txhunter58
“Where this has a bunch of people scratching their head is in the NM units that are strictly archery and ML elk. In the same meeting (actually minutes before introducing the ban) the NMDGF said the herds in those units were on the rise”

To me that is where this change can really shine. They should be able to substantially increase tags in those units.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm all for their decision, MZL seasons were originally set up as primitive seasons to use the weapons our forefathers used to harvest game. As far as I'm concerned it could go back to patched round balls also. A modern MZL rifle is not very far different than if I pushed the bullet down the barrel of a Ruger #1.

I hear the statement that the modern MLZ is a progression in the advancement of the MZL rifle, we did that 150 yrs ago it is called the Centerfire rifle. The modern compound bow is actual a progression of the equipment. I started bow hunting with a long bow in the 1950's and actually saw the introduction of mass-produced recurves and then compounds, I do feel that crossbows being allowed in archery seasons is not right as they are far closer to a rifle than a handheld bow.

Last edited by erich; 10/25/22.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
S
SLM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Like I’ve said, I think the ban will have some positive affects, but comments like this have me scratching my head. It makes no sense to me how people can gloss over the advancements in center fire and archery equipment in the conversation but want ML’s to be what they were 50 years ago.

It is a good conversation.

Originally Posted by erich
I'm all for their decision, MZL seasons were originally set up as primitive seasons to use the weapons our forefathers used to harvest game. As far as I'm concerned it could go back to patched round balls also. A modern MZL rifle is not very far different than if I pushed the bullet down the barrel of a Ruger #1.

I hear the statement that the modern MLZ is a progression in the advancement of the MZL rifle, we did that 150 yrs ago it is called the Centerfire rifle. The modern compound bow is actual a progression of the equipment. I started bow hunting with a long bow in the 1950's and actually saw the introduction of mass-produced recurves and then compounds, I do feel that crossbows being allowed in archery seasons is not right as they are far closer to a rifle than a handheld bow.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like a good idea. It will be interesting if success rates decrease.

It can be difficult to regulate technological advancements but if you're like me and think that getting to go hunting is more important than shooting something then these regulations make sense.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (160user, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,674
Posts18,493,813
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.