Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Six o'clock hold...

[Linked Image from i2.wp.com]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
That's not the desired effect in the present conversation.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It depends on what one wants to do.

Practice,practice,practice…….

Just braying.

Last edited by Angus1895; 10/26/22.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Out west we call it sighting in for 300 yards.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Boy Howdy!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B2

Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Very helpful, thank you gentlemen.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by Barkoff
OK So I want to sight in at 100 yds, so I set the bead for the bottom of the bullseye at 100yds, but still want the shot to hit the center of the bullseye?

No. If you are sighting in for 100 yards put your target at 100 yards, put your bead at 6 o'clock, adjust rear sight until your shots land at 6 o'clock on the bullseye not center of bullseye. Hits on the paper higher than that will coincide with being zero'ed for longer distances.

This was done with a scoped rifle at 200 yards, but the principle is the same. The point of aim is the bottom of the bullseye, and the point of impact is just above the point of aim. Comme ça:

[Linked Image]

That may be a six o'clock hold on a black dot type target, but when guys talk about using a 6 o'clock hold, they are generally talking about a target with an X ring in the center of the target. What you are showing is a poa/poi sight in. With irons it is much easier to hold at the edge of the black, where it meets the white at the bottom of the black bullseye. Some guys will leave a sliver of white between the front post and the black too, which is sometimes easier for me to do it that way. Target shooters came up with the term and they generally want to hit the center of the black bull. This is how my 6.5x55 swedish mauser does with a 6 o'clock hold:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

AR15 A2 with six o'clock hold:

Other forms of irons, such as what I run on one of my AR's does not require a 6 o'clock hold. They have an aperture on both the front and rear, much like a target 22 does. Center hold on target, POA matches POI just like your target posted above:

Since you are showing a scoped rifle at 200 yards, this works too, but there's no reference for an aiming point:

When I was taught to shoot irons, I was taught to hold dead on if you are shooting game. That is what you are doing as well, but you are using the bottom of the black circle as your aiming point. I grew up shooting flies with iron sights.

Originally Posted by Calhoun
Six o'clock hold...

Please don't tell me you are a democrap. You are trying to change the meaning of 6 o'clock hold to further your agenda. Calhoun is spot on with the true definition of 6 o'clock hold. No need to try to confuse anyone here..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
OK So I want to sight in at 100 yds, so I set the bead for the bottom of the bullseye at 100yds, but still want the shot to hit the center of the bullseye?

No. If you are sighting in for 100 yards put your target at 100 yards, put your bead at 6 o'clock, adjust rear sight until your shots land at 6 o'clock on the bullseye not center of bullseye. Hits on the paper higher than that will coincide with being zero'ed for longer distances.

This was done with a scoped rifle at 200 yards, but the principle is the same. The point of aim is the bottom of the bullseye, and the point of impact is just above the point of aim. Comme ça:

[Linked Image]

That may be a six o'clock hold on a black dot type target, but when guys talk about using a 6 o'clock hold, they are generally talking about a target with an X ring in the center of the target. What you are showing is a poa/poi sight in. With irons it is much easier to hold at the edge of the black, where it meets the white at the bottom of the black bullseye. Some guys will leave a sliver of white between the front post and the black too, which is sometimes easier for me to do it that way. Target shooters came up with the term and they generally want to hit the center of the black bull. This is how my 6.5x55 swedish mauser does with a 6 o'clock hold:

Other forms of irons, such as what I run on one of my AR's does not require a 6 o'clock hold. They have an aperture on both the front and rear, much like a target 22 does. Center hold on target, POA matches POI just like your target posted above:

Since you are showing a scoped rifle at 200 yards, this works too, but there's no reference for an aiming point:

When I was taught to shoot irons, I was taught to hold dead on if you are shooting game. That is what you are doing as well, but you are using the bottom of the black circle as your aiming point. I grew up shooting flies with iron sights.

Six o'clock hold...

Please don't tell me you are a democrap. You are trying to change the meaning of 6 o'clock hold to further your agenda. Calhoun is spot on with the true definition of 6 o'clock hold. No need to try to confuse anyone here..

You are wrong, concerning this conversation. It's a shame you have to go to name calling.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

[Linked Image]

Six o'clock hold...

C'mon you guys, don't confuse the OP. What you're showing is absolutely true when the goal is scoring points in a competition, not when the goal is putting one's shots exactly where the front sight is indicating. Do you really want to have to consider bullet impact above point of aim when drawing down on a deer 80 yards away on opening day morning? Especially if precision shot placement is critical?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by Angus1895
It depends on what one wants to do.

Practice,practice,practice…….

Just braying.

That's the real nuts and bolts of it right there. Practice and find out where you like your POI, then practice some more once you have it dialed in.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Damn, who pissed in your beer? If anybody should be guilty of pedantry it should be the PhD in math, but you took the cake here.

If you read through the whole conversation you'll see the great assault on God's own right and proper definition of the six o'clock hold occurred well before I got involved. Barkoff seems a little green when it comes to this stuff, so I thought an illustration of the sight-in prior posters were describing could be useful. That was my agenda, no more, no less.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Damn, who pissed in your beer? If anybody should be guilty of pedantry it should be the PhD in math, but you took the cake here.

If you read through the whole conversation you'll see the great assault on God's own right and proper definition of the six o'clock hold occurred well before I got involved. Barkoff seems a little green when it comes to this stuff, so I thought an illustration of the sight-in prior posters were describing could be useful. That was my agenda, no more, no less.

And you perfectly illustrated what I was trying to say.

I rarely, if ever, take pics of my targets/groups. The cogent info pertaining to accuracy results are notated in my loading journal - targets are discarded, and why clutter up my files with pics that nobody, including myself, will care to look at? Once a target is fired upon it becomes ancient history.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 10/27/22.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I usually take pictures of targets when I'm working up loads for comparisons, and so I don't forget what I was doing since I'm prone to losing stuff, but pitch most of them once I'm done.

I generally keep a picture of the best loads for future reference, since I just write the load and not the group sizes in my notes. Easier to look at a picture than try decipher my chicken scratch sometimes, or occasionally I'll get sidetracked before I'm done dialing in a load and go back to it much later to finish.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Good protocol. I'm a Luddite at heart and don't care to keep pics of hundreds/thousands of targets in files, nor the means to instantly access a particular target/group I shot on June 11, 2012 - if I can even remember I shot that target. And please don't tell me how to do it! I'm a Luddite, remember?! grin

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
My Sharpie chicken scratch on targets is just a lot easier to read than my pen chicken scratch on paper. Doctors don't have squat on me 🤣

My old man is a target hoarder... he has stuff laying around he shot clear back in the 70s, and a lot of it is groups of the same loads from the same rifles 🤨

Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Not a little green, a lot green! 😂😂

I’ll re-read it all and process it, and be back if I’m still not sure. I’m 90% saltwater fisherman and 10% shooter/hunter. If anyone wants opinions on setting up a boat, I’m your guy!! 😂😂

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I’m pretty sure I get it, one is explaining the 6:00 hold on game in the field, the other, the same principle off the bench at known paper targets.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I’m pretty sure I get it, one is explaining the 6:00 hold on game in the field, the other, the same principle off the bench at known paper targets.

There you have it. Lord forgive us for abusing the anointed definition in the process of bringing you to this state. grin

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Jimho it's better to be a bit high than low. I have a bad habit of underestimating the hell out of distances though, so ymmv. 🤷‍♂️

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G

Not a little green, a lot green! 😂😂

I’ll tell-read it all and process it, and be back if I’m still not sure. I’m 90% saltwater fisherman Ann 10% shooter/hunter. If anyone wants opinions on setting up a boat, I’m your guy!! 😂😂

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Hah! Something in common. I did a second career later in life as a yacht carpenter - remodeling existing boats and building them from scratch. Now I've re-invented myself again as a constructor/repairer of lab equipment here at the college that thinks I know what I'm doing!! The one constant in my topsy-turvy life has been gunnery, and flyfishing, and British cars, and pretty girls, and good beer, and..... whistle grin

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,030 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,468
Posts18,508,501
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.