Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I need to re-state my bit about rolling coal on bicyclists. I really didn't do that..unless they were going up a steep hill huffin' and puffin'.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Riding a bike on a trail is one thing. Riding on a road and acting like you are a car is another. Fugg any biker who thinks thats ok
Fuque any pussy that doesn't have the emotional IQ to safely and courteously negotiate a law abiding bicyclist on the road.

Pay for a license plate and accept a citation for impeding traffic then !

I can’t drive my fugging golf cart on the road

Why would I pay for a license plate? They aren't required or available. Are you advocating for more government and more tax?

I think the point is that you SHOULD be required, same as others using the road. Cyclist demand road improvements, DMV fees pay for those improvements, why should motorcyclists have to pay DMV fees and bicyclists don’t? There is much more money spent on accommodating bicyclists than motorcyclists, no?
But could be this is just a west coast thing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.bikelaw.com/2016/02/biker-obstructing-traffic-nope-roll-the-videotape/

Gimme a shout when you are in town. I'll buy you an oyster poboy!

Nice one!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
We can slug it out first then do the PoBoy

Gimme a shout when you are in town. I'll buy you an oyster poboy!

It's not like we need teeth to eat an oyster poboy.

Funny story. I have a few implants on my left side from a hit in the military, they take care of them “for life” on base. Supposedly they are tough as nails but I shattered two of the crowns biting pearls in the oysters and rolled into the base with the teeth in a zip-loc bag and my titanium studs still good to go. They couldn’t believe what an oyster pearl did to them.

I take it real easy with oysters now.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 10/25/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Just my 2 cents.

I understand what Paul is saying that they think that it's safer for them to be in the middle of the lane so that they're more visible and it helps prevent the squeeze play.

In a lot of cases, but not the majority of cases, people will move over to let the traffic pass. However, in most cases that I've seen around here, is that they don't move over and continue to hog the road. The other issue with this behavior is that on a road that has a 40 or 50 mph speed limit, they're riding in the middle of the road around a blind curve. Then you have a vehicle that could weigh up to 80K lbs. going 45 mph and can't simply stop to avoid hitting them. But the part that pisses people off is that when a vehicle does get behind them and it's clear to pass, the bicyclists continue to ride in the middle of the road.

The thing that I don't understand is that they ride in the middle of the road with no fear of getting killed or causing a wreck between two on coming vehicles with them in the mix. 99% of them also drive cars and they know full well that they're risking their lives every time they ride.

I do my level best not to ride on fast or busy roads. My strategy is to ride mid lane to be more visible, then as traffic comes up from behind I move over to give the appearance of being helpful and cooperative. Hang onto that word appearance as I share an anecdote.

I rode a charity ride this weekend. Toward the end of the ride, riders were spaced out pretty far on a very low traffic rural road. In one 5 mile stretch I encountered about 6 autos. As they came up from behind me, I moved over and waved politely. I watched a few other cyclists remain side by side in the middle of the lane as cars came up behind them. Who was being more helpful? To the motorists, it would appear that I was. In reality, it made no difference since there were no cars coming and it was a complete non-issue for the motorists to go around either of us.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just my 2 cents.

I understand what Paul is saying that they think that it's safer for them to be in the middle of the lane so that they're more visible and it helps prevent the squeeze play.

In a lot of cases, but not the majority of cases, people will move over to let the traffic pass. However, in most cases that I've seen around here, is that they don't move over and continue to hog the road. The other issue with this behavior is that on a road that has a 40 or 50 mph speed limit, they're riding in the middle of the road around a blind curve. Then you have a vehicle that could weigh up to 80K lbs. going 45 mph and can't simply stop to avoid hitting them. But the part that pisses people off is that when a vehicle does get behind them and it's clear to pass, the bicyclists continue to ride in the middle of the road.

The thing that I don't understand is that they ride in the middle of the road with no fear of getting killed or causing a wreck between two on coming vehicles with them in the mix. 99% of them also drive cars and they know full well that they're risking their lives every time they ride.

Ya BUT, it’s incumbent on any commercial driver to be driving his rig at the speed it can be stopped, no different than if your daughter’s car stalls out on a blind curve, rigs need to be going a speed that anticipates those types of scenarios.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Barkoff
I think the point is that you SHOULD be required, same as others using the road. Cyclist demand road improvements, DMV fees pay for those improvements, why should motorcyclists have to pay DMV fees and bicyclists don’t? There is much more money spent on accommodating bicyclists than motorcyclists, no?
But could be this is just a west coast thing.

Pedestrians don't pay any special road use tax and don't have to put license plates on their back. I get held up more by pedestrians than I do bicyclists.

Road and bike lane building and maintenance funding comes from a variety of sources. DMV fees and gas tax comes nowhere close to covering the cost of roads and bicycle infrastructure. Much of the money comes from the general fund (property taxes, sales taxes etc.)

Why should MOTORcyclists have to pay DMV fees, but not bicyclists? What does the M in DMV stand for?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Just my 2 cents.

Ya BUT, it’s incumbent on any commercial driver to be driving his rig at the speed it can be stopped, no different than if your daughter’s car stalls out on a blind curve, rigs need to be going a speed that anticipates those types of scenarios.

It's incumbent on ALL road users to operate at a safe speed.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
When I was younger I logged on the north calif coast. Hiway 1 along coast was narrow and had zero shoulder in most places. Summer san francisco cyclists thought it was a great scenic place to pedal. Our log truck drivers thought otherwise. One of the truckers bought a 10speed at a garage sale and then ran it over till it was crumpled up and then wired it to his front right bumper. Had alot of fun with this. He said when the cyclists would see it they would make a face like the first time they took one up the arse

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm all about being athletic and good health, doing it on a roadway, designed for automobiles is not the place. The road our house is on is a major bike challenge. It starts at 5500' and goes to 8500' in a matter of 15 miles or so. It's curvy, no shoulders, and full of blind curves. In the summer, it's a stream of bikers wanting a challenge. So many bikers that we have to wait to exit our driveway. Every year 1-4 of them die or get seriously hurt by cars. (Same with motorcycles hitting 100mph on the same road). It's never the bikers fault though, that's the sucky part. Always the driver. Right... Who has the insurance? The driver. I've done enough expert witness (on other types of cases) to know deep pockets get blamed for a lot of things that wasn't their fault.

When roads are designed for bikers, and bikers pay license plate fees, and are required to have insurance, have headlights/taillights like motorcycles, I'll be open to it. I have no issues with mountain bikers on designated trails, none.

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Another bicyclist thread. Where's my popcorn?

No chit, right?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tesoro
When I was younger I logged on the north calif coast. Hiway 1 along coast was narrow and had zero shoulder in most places. Summer san francisco cyclists thought it was a great scenic place to pedal. Our log truck drivers thought otherwise. One of the truckers bought a 10speed at a garage sale and then ran it over till it was crumpled up and then wired it to his front right bumper. Had alot of fun with this. He said when the cyclists would see it they would make a face like the first time they took one up the arse

When is a bully mentality ever not funny?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
I'm all about being athletic and good health, doing it on a roadway, designed for automobiles is not the place. The road our house is on is a major bike challenge. It starts at 5500' and goes to 8500' in a matter of 15 miles or so. It's curvy, no shoulders, and full of blind curves. In the summer, it's a stream of bikers wanting a challenge. So many bikers that we have to wait to exit our driveway. Every year 1-4 of them die or get seriously hurt by cars. (Same with motorcycles hitting 100mph on the same road). It's never the bikers fault though, that's the sucky part. Always the driver. Right... Who has the insurance? The driver. I've done enough expert witness (on other types of cases) to know deep pockets get blamed for a lot of things that wasn't their fault.

When roads are designed for bikers, and bikers pay license plate fees, and are required to have insurance, have headlights/taillights like motorcycles, I'll be open to it. I have no issues with mountain bikers on designated trails, none.

The law provides the framework for determining who is at fault. If a motorist is required to yield right of way, and doesn't, why would it not be their fault?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only cyclists that I have an issue with are those who ride like azzholes, blowing through stop signs and traffic lights, riding in groups taking up the entire lane, and generally displaying no courtesy. That is to say, most of them.

I pass one guy every morning on my way into work who cycles my route, rain or shine. He’s one of the good ones, and I go out my way to give him a lot more space than is needed.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Roads are there for people to GET SOMEWHERE. Usually, that’s work or the store, etc. People are driving somewhere for a PURPOSE.

OTOH, most bicyclists are riding around for RECREATION. Not only that, they are IMPEDING the flow of traffic (unlike someone in a car, out for “fun”). Add those two together, and most people get annoyed. Would you get annoyed if people were holding up traffic DANCING in the street? Playing football or basketball in the street??

I don’t fault folks in urban environments using bicycles for TRANSPORTATION. However, riding around, blocking traffic, using a bicycle as a RECREATIONAL device, or a piece of FITNESS equipment, while folks are trying to get to work and pay taxes that PAY FOR THE DANGED ROAD, is frustrating...

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

bulk black upholstery tacks are very affordable when u buy them by the case.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I just wish some of em would have some fuuuking common sense and stay the fuuuk out of traffic.

Not all of em ride in stooopid azz places with traffic thinking they are entitled to do it and everyone has awareness of them on the fuuuuking road.
Espeically in ever changing traffic conditions.

But for many of em Darwin happens hard to em.
And it is usually their fault for riding a bike in places it obviously fuuuked the fuuuked up to be doing so....

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've never understood why they aren't required to have insurance if driving on the road. They cause accidents too.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

The law provides the framework for determining who is at fault. If a motorist is required to yield right of way, and doesn't, why would it not be their fault?

IF ANYBODY was operating a car or a lawn tractor on the same road, at 7mph, it’d be an automatic ticket for “impeding the flow of traffic”.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Roads are there for people to GET SOMEWHERE. Usually, that’s work or the store, etc. People are driving somewhere for a PURPOSE.

OTOH, most bicyclists are riding around for RECREATION. Not only that, they are IMPEDING the flow of traffic (unlike someone in a car, out for “fun”). Add those two together, and most peopke get annoyed. Would you get annoyed if people were holding up traffic DANCING in the street? Playing football or basketball in the street??

I don’t fault folks in urban environments using bicycles for TRANSPORTATION. However, riding around, blocking traffic, using a bicycle as a RECREATIONAL device, or apiece of FITNESS equipment, while folks are tryto get to work and pay taxes that PAY FOR THE DANGED ROAD, is frustrating...

Bicyclists do pay for roads.

As I read your post I was trying to think of a way we could establish a hierarchy for road users. Everyone should have to get the hell out of the way of an 18 wheeler carrying food to a grocery store. People going to work should have priority over those driving to the gym. Those driving to the grocery store should have priority over those going out to eat. When there are traffic jams outside of the Super Dome on account of a sporting event and I need to get to a VA appointment, those people should have to get off of the road. Establishing a hierarchy base on necessity is a brilliant idea.

Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

253 members (2500HD, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1badf350, 01Foreman400, 28 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,652
Posts18,512,756
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.