Hop To
Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
Originally Posted by badger
The only cyclists that I have an issue with are those who ride like azzholes, blowing through stop signs and traffic lights,

If I was on my bicycle in my car in front of you on a narrow busy 30 MPH road and we came up to a red light and ran it, how would that negatively affect you?

It is entirely possible that by running the red light I not only enhance my safety by not having potentially impatient and aggravated motorists trying to pass me after the light turns green, but it would also make it better for you in that you wouldn't be stuck behind me.
Would that make any difference?

Am I the car at the front or the one coming up behind?

Answer honestly, in your opinion, what percentage of bicyclists come up a complete stop at a stop sign? Maybe 5%?
Do YOU come to complete stops at stop signs?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sure, they cross the streets, but they are not traveling in the streets.

In other words, do pedestrians complain about potholes in the streets?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only cyclists that I have an issue with are those who ride like azzholes, blowing through stop signs and traffic lights,

If I was on my bicycle in my car in front of you on a narrow busy 30 MPH road and we came up to a red light and ran it, how would that negatively affect you?

It is entirely possible that by running the red light I not only enhance my safety by not having potentially impatient and aggravated motorists trying to pass me after the light turns green, but it would also make it better for you in that you wouldn't be stuck behind me.

You stipulated that you were in front… come on, get with it.
Why even have traffic laws?

I am less likely to run the red light in the car than I am on the bike. If I run the red light while operating either it is illegal, BUT. I am more likely to run the light on a bicycle for two reasons. I prefer not to have potentially impatient or unsafe motorists behind me when the light turns green. It is possible that by running the light I make life easier on them in that they don't have to be caught up behind me. There are more reasons. If I run it in my auto and make a mistake I am much more likely to hurt someone else than I would if I made a mistake on the bicycle. I am also much more likely to get a ticket if a cop sees me do it in the auto.

Think about the times you break the law while driving. You do it because you think you can safely do it, and you don't think you'll get a ticket, right?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Barkoff

Answer honestly, in your opinion, what percentage of bicyclists come up a complete stop at a stop sign? Maybe 5%?
Do YOU come to complete stops at stop signs?

I am the same irrespective of my mode of transportation. I rarely come to a complete stop when there is no cross traffic coming.

This is very normal behavior for motorists based on my observations.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I used to ride the roads in rural coastal MS very regularly. The roads are low traffic density 35-40MPH roads. I generally got treated pretty well with few exceptions. I bought this American flag T-shirt and wore it on a 50 mile ride. I had never been treated better in my life. Cars slowing way down. Cars passing slowly. Cars giving widest possible berth. No engines moaning under the strain of acceleration. People waving as they passed. At the time, I opined that the American flag T-shirt resonated with the good ole boys and girls in the rural south in a way that "humanized" the encounter. No longer was I an annoyance in spandex, but a patriotic human and someone they could relate with. I continued wearing that shirt and continued getting treated remarkably well.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Agree. I usually wore my USMC cycling jersey. Folks seemed to like that and I didn't get harassed. Oh, also learned that my tiny 9mm Kahr in a pocket holster, would fit nicely in my jersey pocket. Just in case.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A neck injury is keeping me from my road bike these days, but I'm still enjoying the mountain bike and hiking.

Regards, Guy

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cascade
I used to ride the roads in rural coastal MS very regularly. The roads are low traffic density 35-40MPH roads. I generally got treated pretty well with few exceptions. I bought this American flag T-shirt and wore it on a 50 mile ride. I had never been treated better in my life. Cars slowing way down. Cars passing slowly. Cars giving widest possible berth. No engines moaning under the strain of acceleration. People waving as they passed. At the time, I opined that the American flag T-shirt resonated with the good ole boys and girls in the rural south in a way that "humanized" the encounter. No longer was I an annoyance in spandex, but a patriotic human and someone they could relate with. I continued wearing that shirt and continued getting treated remarkably well.

Agree. I usually wore my USMC cycling jersey. Folks seemed to like that and I didn't get harassed. Oh, also learned that my tiny 9mm Kahr in a pocket holster, would fit nicely in my jersey pocket. Just in case.

A neck injury is keeping me from my road bike these days, but I'm still enjoying the mountain bike and hiking.

Regards, Guy

Thanks for your service Guy. You look like a pretty good sized man, that may have something to do with it as well.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
… in before Paul invites Cascade to a Viking bar! laugh

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
When I was in the second or third grade, we were taught that bicycles were vehicles and subject to the same rules as any other vehicle on the road. We were taught to use hand signals and taught to watch out for other vehicles. Seemed pretty civilized, to me. This was 65 years ago, mind you, and we wore denim instead of Lycra.
I did once have a cyclist deliberately block me on a rural highway. I went around him, stopped, got out of my truck, yanked his bicycle out from under him, spun around once and threw it over the fence and into the field. The guy sputtered indignantly but that was about it.
This guy was not a dedicated cyclist, mind you; he was just an a--hole on a bicycle. His personality would have been the same regardless of his mode of transportation.
This was close to thirty years ago, when I was a young man in my forties. I was a different person then. Today, my behaviour has modified with age. Today I would simply clip him behind the ear with my cane and not risk injury by throwing the bike. GD

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Saw some lads from russia I think, video, a Karen came along and started harrassing them. She was going to hit one of the lads, he rode out of camera view and his bike came flying thru the air like a frisbee and smashed her backwards to the ground. Poor karen ,, that was mean

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

restaurant

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The article is correct regarding the number of people (not motorists, people) that despise bicyclists but their reasoning is well off the mark.

People hate bicyclists because people (in general) have little to no patience for rude behavior. Recreational bicycling is an inherently rude activity. So everyone naturally hates the people doing it.

It’s only slightly less rude than roller blading the wrong way through traffic. To despise the person doing something like that is natural.

It’s no more complicated than that.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Riding a bike on a trail is one thing. Riding on a road and acting like you are a car is another. Fugg any biker who thinks thats ok
Fuque any pussy that doesn't have the emotional IQ to safely and courteously negotiate a law abiding bicyclist on the road.

LOL.

If I talk over you, I apologize. I'm afraid I will lose my train-of-thought.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

restaurant
grin grin

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Regards, Guy

The back of your eyes just checked in and advised there’s nothing to report.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

Regards, Guy

LOL

Hey, that was rude.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The article is correct regarding the number of people (not motorists, people) that despise bicyclists but their reasoning is well off the mark.

People hate bicyclists because people (in general) have little to no patience for rude behavior. Recreational bicycling is an inherently rude activity. So everyone naturally hates the people doing it.

It’s only slightly less rude than roller blading the wrong way through traffic. To despise the person doing something like that is natural.

It’s no more complicated than that.
I agree, I put them right down there with pro bass fishermen.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
I'm all about being athletic and good health, doing it on a roadway, designed for automobiles is not the place. The road our house is on is a major bike challenge. It starts at 5500' and goes to 8500' in a matter of 15 miles or so. It's curvy, no shoulders, and full of blind curves. In the summer, it's a stream of bikers wanting a challenge. So many bikers that we have to wait to exit our driveway. Every year 1-4 of them die or get seriously hurt by cars. (Same with motorcycles hitting 100mph on the same road). It's never the bikers fault though, that's the sucky part. Always the driver. Right... Who has the insurance? The driver. I've done enough expert witness (on other types of cases) to know deep pockets get blamed for a lot of things that wasn't their fault.

When roads are designed for bikers, and bikers pay license plate fees, and are required to have insurance, have headlights/taillights like motorcycles, I'll be open to it. I have no issues with mountain bikers on designated trails, none.

The law provides the framework for determining who is at fault. If a motorist is required to yield right of way, and doesn't, why would it not be their fault?

IF ANYBODY was operating a car or a lawn tractor on the same road, at 7mph, it’d be an automatic ticket for “impeding the flow of traffic”.

Would it be a ticket for a hunter pulling a horse trailer at 5 MPH below the speed limit?

“An operator may not drive so slowly as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.”

5 mph UNDER the speed limit?? No. 5mph??? Yes.

But then again, you already knew that...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Regards, Guy

LOL

Hey, that was rude.

What were you expecting, "The News from Lake Wabigoon?"

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
I'm all about being athletic and good health, doing it on a roadway, designed for automobiles is not the place. The road our house is on is a major bike challenge. It starts at 5500' and goes to 8500' in a matter of 15 miles or so. It's curvy, no shoulders, and full of blind curves. In the summer, it's a stream of bikers wanting a challenge. So many bikers that we have to wait to exit our driveway. Every year 1-4 of them die or get seriously hurt by cars. (Same with motorcycles hitting 100mph on the same road). It's never the bikers fault though, that's the sucky part. Always the driver. Right... Who has the insurance? The driver. I've done enough expert witness (on other types of cases) to know deep pockets get blamed for a lot of things that wasn't their fault.

When roads are designed for bikers, and bikers pay license plate fees, and are required to have insurance, have headlights/taillights like motorcycles, I'll be open to it. I have no issues with mountain bikers on designated trails, none.

The law provides the framework for determining who is at fault. If a motorist is required to yield right of way, and doesn't, why would it not be their fault?

IF ANYBODY was operating a car or a lawn tractor on the same road, at 7mph, it’d be an automatic ticket for “impeding the flow of traffic”.

Would it be a ticket for a hunter pulling a horse trailer at 5 MPH below the speed limit?

“An operator may not drive so slowly as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.”

5 mph UNDER the speed limit?? No. 5mph??? Yes.

But then again, you already knew that...

What is the magic speed under the limit at which it becomes impeding?

Operative words "in compliance with the law."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think the point is that you SHOULD be required, same as others using the road. Cyclist demand road improvements, DMV fees pay for those improvements, why should motorcyclists have to pay DMV fees and bicyclists don’t? There is much more money spent on accommodating bicyclists than motorcyclists, no?
But could be this is just a west coast thing.

Pedestrians don't pay any special road use tax and don't have to put license plates on their back. I get held up more by pedestrians than I do bicyclists.

Road and bike lane building and maintenance funding comes from a variety of sources. DMV fees and gas tax comes nowhere close to covering the cost of roads and bicycle infrastructure. Much of the money comes from the general fund (property taxes, sales taxes etc.)

Why should MOTORcyclists have to pay DMV fees, but not bicyclists? What does the M in DMV stand for?

Pedestrians use the sidewalks, not roadways, just like bicyclists used to.

We don't have any sidewalks for the 12 miles or so to town. Folks out here walk in the roadway all the time. I don't know if they complain about potholes.

I hate bicyclists on the sideWALK in town. It's not called a sideRIDE, is it? Rather have a skateboarded on the sidewalk, I can usually hear them coming............but I hate them too. Want to stick out an arm and clothesline them.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (Anaconda, Amos63, akrange, 7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,562 guests, and 775 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,627
Posts18,492,920
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.