Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Does this press cam over center?

I am in the market for a new single stage and I want one that has the ability to go past top dead center or cam over.

The problem is, most of the descriptions of these single stages do not mention if they cam over center or not. They go on and on about their history instead of the abilities of the actual press.

If you have a recommendation for a new single stage that has this ability please let me know your thoughts.

Best
HeavyD.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Phone (607) 753-3331, ask for Technical assistance. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thank you Al.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
May I ask why the desire for cam over?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I prefer a press that cams over for heavy duty work, I like the Rockchucker

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The Redding Ultramag press is described as being suited to heavy work, but I haven't tried one.

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
I've used a pair of Redding UltraMag presses for many, many years. Goodness only knows how many rounds I've loaded with them.

They replaced a pair of RCBS A2s that I literally wore out. I swear that the Reddings have lasted waaaay longer.

Blessings,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Mathman, Dogzapper,
I appreciate any help you gentlemen can offer.

I have a very old Rcbs rockchucker that cams over. I love that press. I also have a lee classic cast and it, by design has mechanical stops left in the linkage to prevent cam over. A feature I wish was not there. Its a good press but is it not for all applications. I do reload for 50 BMG (another subject)...the Lee works and was designed for that cartridge but it should have had the cam over feature.

Many, many times I have needed the cam over feature and it has done what is needed when the lee would not. And NO, I am not pushing the limits of my reloads. Most if not all are mid to just above mid loads. My examples have been in resizing different cartridges, that lack of an extra push was needed. The cam over of the rockchucker would always complete the task of bringing down the rear of the case just a bit more for it to chamber. Yes, I know I can grind down a shell holder but I prefer not to mess with my equipment like that.

I agree it sounds like personal preference but it has worked (cam over) when mechanical stops would not. I want the press to do the work, not me, or a hacked shell holder that is a one off of all the rest.

RCBS has been making the rockchucker with mechanical stops for a while now. I want to avoid the "its familiar so it should work the same way" mistake.

Best
HeavyD.

Last edited by HeavyDove; 10/25/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HeavyDove
I also have a lee classic cast and it, by design has mechanical stops left in the linkage to prevent cam over. A feature I wish was not there.

The cam over stops on the Lee Classic cast press are easily removed. It's pretty simple to make the cam over adjustable, too.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dogzapper
They replaced a pair of RCBS A2s that I literally wore out. I swear that the Reddings have lasted waaaay longer. Blessings, Steve

Steve, you've whiplashed me back to my youth, buddy! grin As a youngster, the first press I ever used was my Dad's RCBS A2....complete with the 'shovel handle'! crazy And it was old even then.

All my best to you. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
IC B3

J
JD7 Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Yes it does. The Redding is a nice press I love mine

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Does the current RC not cam over now?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have no idea. Have never tried to make it cam over, since it's easily sized even the toughest cases--and have also used it to swage down jacketed bullets to a smaller diameter, no problem.

Last edited by Mule Deer; 10/25/22.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The problem is, most of the descriptions of these single stages do not mention if they cam over center or not. .

Maybe because it doesn’t matter?

I can’t see what is possibly gained by “camming over” top dead center if you’ve already got your case going into the die as far as it will go with the shell holder you’re using. It would seem that all you’d be accomplishing would be to repeatedly spring the frame or some other component of the press. Am I missing something here?

Mathew 22: 37-39

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The camover provides significant mechanical advantage, I prefer the feel compared to a press that doesn’t

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Castle Rock nailed it.

It is NOT just a personal thing but the mechanical advantage gained. The geometry of the press design to do the work for you.

What is gained is by this? For the press to go over top dead center and you not relying on " did I press enough" and then going on guess work for lack of a better term.

The old Rockchuckers did this very well, the press I have does this. But newer versions have a stop placed in them now. Why? Cheaper materials used, lack of good engineers working for RCBS,.....I dont know, but the stops are there now.

Watch the GAVINTOOBE 14 Single stage press comparison on Youtube and see for yourselves. The one press that has a cam over I saw that I "might"....heavy on the might.....consider is the Hornady LNL single stage classic.
I would much prefer very much prefer to get the Redding.

I like RCBS's products as I use their 3 way case trimmers alot and their X-DIE'S for numerous calibers to eliminate trimming. So its not a witch hunt on that company, not in the least.

Best
HeavyDove.

Last edited by HeavyDove; 10/25/22.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Called Redding.

ALL of their single stages have the cam over ability. The tech I spoke to said they are engineered that way from the start for full positive to past positive contact.

I know which company is going to get my money now.

Thanks to all who helped out with this thread.

Best
HeavyDove.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Called Redding
I know which company is going to get my money now.

Best
HeavyDove.

I’m with you on that. Redding is my default setting when buying reloading equipment. When I set myself back up after moving down here I started with a Redding turret press and all the support equipment. For the most part, their stuff still looks like it came from a tool room rather than a Chinese big box supplier.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My RCBS Rock Chucker IV cams over. So does my Area 419 Zero, but that is a turret press.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I just bought a big boss 2 over this past summer. It’s a great single stage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (anothergun, 6MMWASP, BB3, ar33c9, 7mm_Loco, 10Glocks, 8 invisible), 1,342 guests, and 748 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,522
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.