Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the eating part. I have eaten a slab of wild boar only once. It was an escapee from a preserve in New Hampshire. many moons ago. It was almost 300 pounds and rather on the chewy side,

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

GB1

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by hanco
I think
Originally Posted by zcm82
Just out of curiosity, what was the 32-40 load, and were they through and throughs on the pigs?

Still sort of contemplating trying to track one down of some model someday, moreso now that it's a kosher deer cartridge here.

I think 22 gr of H 4895. 165 Hornady. Will double check when I get home, went through them!

22 grains of H 4895 is correct, 1865 fps

My 308 subsonic load is a 170gr partition, goes through pigs at 1100 fps. That 32-40 load should be effective at a hundred yards.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Thanks for the eating part. I have eaten a slab of wild boar only once. It was an escapee from a preserve in New Hampshire. many moons ago. It was almost 300 pounds and rather on the chewy side,

The young pigs are good to eat. I never eat them because some carry swine brucellosis

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I actually didn't realize 32-40 was that fast. That's plenty of juice for me.

I've potted a couple coyotes with the old 303 from 50-75yds, and that punches through them with a 110gr HP only going about 2115fps through the chrono.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Hanco: I am glad you had "fun" - I realize those creatures are destructive "pests" but I would have passed on that shooting situation/opportunity.
Free range and I would have been right there with ya.
Cool Rifle to.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Feral hogs are an invasive species, not a game animal, to be shot on sight whenever and wherever. They breed so rapidly that once they are established they are very hard to get rid of and can only be managed if they are in a fenced property. There was a population of them in the Loess Hills around Pisgah, IA, that took several years to eliminate. They are quick learners and will go nocturnal if they are hunting during daylight hours, making it even harder to get rid of them.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Feral hogs are an invasive species, not a game animal, to be shot on sight whenever and wherever.
Except in Nebraska.. Invasive species are protected here until regulations are created.

None here yet, but between KS/MO they'll get here. There was actually a group that got loose and went feral a few years back, but locals couldn't do anything. Fortunately Game & Parks managed to wipe them out. Or there was a lot of SSS.. maybe S&BBQ in this case.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Feral hogs are an invasive species, not a game animal, to be shot on sight whenever and wherever.
Except in Nebraska.. Invasive species are protected here until regulations are created.

None here yet, but between KS/MO they'll get here. There was actually a group that got loose and went feral a few years back, but locals couldn't do anything. Fortunately Game & Parks managed to wipe them out. Or there was a lot of SSS.. maybe S&BBQ in this case.

There were feral hogs around Harlan County Lake a few years back.

I think that most of the farmers who I know would shoot any unconfined hogs without ear tags that they came across of their property.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Someone turned a bunch of hogs loose around Clinton Lake which is federal/state property. All was fine with having and hunting until they decided that the adjoining farm field were part of their playgrounds. Then the national guard in helicopter's were called in...no more hogs.

Last edited by Rick99; 10/27/22.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I’ve only shot two. A 220 pound boar that was a bit dry and chewy, but taste was the same as supermarket. Second was a 150 pounds with an inch of fat all around. Tender, juicy, great. Ribs had smaller bones than domestic, with LOTS of meat between ribs. Made crock pot BarBQ, slow cooked with Sweet Baby Rays till it pulled apart, then put the chops on top of BarBQ, continued to slow cook till they were done. Major hit at WV camp. Gary may have been at camp that weekend? It was just a guys getaway, shooting and such. Not hunting.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (160user, 222Sako, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 13,999 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,137
Posts18,542,437
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.