-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Hi everyone! Winter is on the way and I have been known to have some trouble keeping my feet warm when it's really cold so I was thinking of trying out some heated insoles. Has anyone tried them or do you have any recommendations?

More guns...need more guns.
Loving Mozambique-and Africa!!!! Too bad I only have 2 months left!!
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Sold lots of them, most hated them. They will make your feet sweat, then be colder still.

Spray antiperspirant

wool or polypro liners

wool main socks of appropriate weight

dont over-insulate if you're going to be walking at all, again...sweat.

dry feet are warmer feet

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
^^^^^ This guy is correct.
For some weird reason my feet sweat in the winter and not summer, and I don't have different footwear between seasons but learned that a a little anti perspirent on the souls of your feet and wool socks goes a long ways in the winter.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I can’t keep my feet warm, the left one especially.

Texas winters helped.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I can't imagine. Gonna be in vikings state in a few weeks, looking forward to not having to wear flip flops.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ringneckhunter
Hi everyone! Winter is on the way and I have been known to have some trouble keeping my feet warm when it's really cold so I was thinking of trying out some heated insoles. Has anyone tried them or do you have any recommendations?
What is your current footwear?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They suck azz...

Best route for me has been the following;

Medium or heavy wool sock (temp based).

Don't go full retard with insulation in boot (i.e. 1500 gram thinsulate, soak your socks walking in you're done). I like 250 - 400 gram range.

Size up boots if you'll be walking in and sitting down all day.

Loosen laces up after walk in. Change socks if needed.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Wool socks are absolutely necessary for me. Good insulated boots that fit properly. Boots that are tight or constrictive in certain areas can decrease circulation and thereby warmth. Keeping your core warm is important for keeping your extremities warm.

I have not used heated socks but I’ve known guys that had. I don’t recall any of them having anything favorable to report. Depending on the manufacturer many of the heated socks had a battery that caused the socks to fall down and get bunched up. Like already mentioned…sweaty feet mean cold feet. I’ve had the best luck with good merino wool socks and insulated good fitting boots, USA made Danners until recently, now I’m trying a pair of lighter weight Red Wings (iirc) and they are performing well. I have a lightweight pair of Northface snowshoe “boots” that are more like high top tennis shoes, they’re very comfortable for hiking but they’re so warm, for being so lightweight and not bulky they surprised me with how warm they are, that I only use them in the snow or very cold weather <20* otherwise my feet get too warm and begin to sweat.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Sprinkle fine ground black pepper into your socks before putting on, feet will stay warmer!! Works!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
What has been said above plus: keep you legs warm. They’re the blood conduit to your feet. Slip on some arctic shield boot blankets once you get to your stand.

Hardin284
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The boot blankets are what I used.
Also loosen you boot laces, it will improve your blood flow to your feet.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I think I have a circulation/nerve issue stemming from 3 back surgeries.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
When I used to ice fish, almost nothing kept my feet warm. I did not use a tent or anything else, just stood or sat there on the open ice. What finally worked - inside my felt-lined boots with wool socks - were those little chemical heat pads. Don't get the kind that go under your feet like insoles; they get lumpy and uncomfortable to walk even a few steps on. The small ones that stick to the tops of your toes worked best for me. Not so hot that they induced sweat, but they kept my toes toasty.

They also worked great while wading in cold trout streams inside my waders.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I’m using pull-on Cabelas brand, 1200 gram. They work great for hunting but when it comes to ice fishing apparently it's not quite enough for me.

More guns...need more guns.
Loving Mozambique-and Africa!!!! Too bad I only have 2 months left!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (10Glocks, 160user, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 59 invisible), 2,587 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,375
Posts18,527,446
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.