Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Been there since May and is having trouble finding a decent place to stay.
The stories he tells of landlords not returning emails, or returning calls are amazing

Anybody have any connections ?

I know it’s a long shot, just trying to help

Thanks

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can't stay on base? Or doesn't want to?

Coyotes shot no waiting.
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Doesn’t want to

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
is your son an adult? does he have internet access and legs?

sheesh helicopter parent

Last edited by ribka; 10/26/22.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
If he has a “white” name he’s fighting an uphill battle. If his last name is Fulopuhhuu or similar it would be much easier. 😁

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Are they still dealing with the water supply issues?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
One of my hunting partners was in the Marines and station in Hawaii in the 60's. newspaper ads for apartment all said HBJ only. (Hawaiian Born Japanese) Supposedly that came to an end but I think it's Still the rule. It's just that they no longer put that in their ads.The Japanese population in Hawaii has an awful lot of power.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Haoles.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A lot of military stay at Moanalua Hillsides Apartments in Honolulu. They should be responsive. Worked for the owner / management company for almost 30 years until recently due to a relocation.

They've got two new buildings at that site (6-8 years or so) and then the "classic" buildings (older). I'd imagine something there would suit his price range, whatever it may be.

Also Villas at Royal Kunia in Waipahu. A bit further of a drive out from Honolulu. A lot of military there as well.

And then there's Waena apartments as well.

Douglas Emmett Incorporated (L.A. based) is owner / management of the three places. I'd be shocked if they weren't quite responsive.

There is also the Residences at Bishop Place. But that is going to be on the higher end price wise I believe for the size of what you get. Was a commercial office building recently converted to residential use in downtown Honolulu.

DEI HI Residential

Last edited by DaveR; 10/26/22.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ribka

sheesh helicopter parent

Come on ribka surely you're better than your ridiculous comment. You should apologize to the OP.

His son volunteers to serve his country and by extension us.

The OP being an involved father tells his son who has already been looking for a place on their own, Hey I'll ask around and see if I can come up with any ideas and reaches out on this forum which is surprisingly a plethora of varied knowledge. And lo and behold some posters give him some possibilities.

A helicopter parent would have flown up there, found their kid a place, moved them in, and paid for it. Why disparage a parent for being involved with their kid? The world would be a better place if more parents were like the OP.

-tnscouter

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife has a lot of family there. If I can figure out who's currently on parole I'll inquire...

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No haoles allowed... It's all part of that 'Aloha sprit'...

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just a question. We have the world's most expensive military and its not even close. On base housing sucks so bad that our guys are looking off base to live? Where does all that money go? Inquiring minds and all.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Shirley you jest.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DaveR
A lot of military stay at Moanalua Hillsides Apartments in Honolulu. They should be responsive. Worked for the owner / management company for almost 30 years until recently due to a relocation.

They've got two new buildings at that site (6-8 years or so) and then the "classic" buildings (older). I'd imagine something there would suit his price range, whatever it may be.

Also Villas at Royal Kunia in Waipahu. A bit further of a drive out from Honolulu. A lot of military there as well.

Douglas Emmett Incorporated (L.A. based) is owner / management of the three places. I'd be shocked if they weren't quite responsive.

There is also the Residences at Bishop Place. But that is going to be on the higher end price wise I believe for the size of what you get. Was a commercial office building recently converted to residential use in downtown Honolulu.

DEI HI Residential

Dave, posts like this are what make this forum an incredible resource.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by DaveR

DEI HI Residential

Dave, posts like this are what make this forum an incredible resource.

Yes!

Retired cat herder.

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
Doesn’t want to

Want has ZERO to do with it. I was stationed in Pearl Harbor for 38 months. Most single servicemembers lived on base because Hawaii is very expensive and many landlords simply do not want to engage long term rental agreements so the units are available during tourist season. They can make more on a 3 month tourist lease on a place than they can a full year lease from a servicemember. Nature of the beast when you take orders to the islands.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
Doesn’t want to

Want has ZERO to do with it. I was stationed in Pearl Harbor for 38 months. Most single servicemembers lived on base because Hawaii is very expensive and many landlords simply do not want to engage long term rental agreements so the units are available during tourist season. They can make more on a 3 month tourist lease on a place than they can a full year lease from a servicemember. Nature of the beast when you take orders to the islands.

And that's what I've encountered while searching rentals over the last dozen years or so in Hawaii.

I've been tasked with securing a rental unit for a couple of past employees that travel each winter to Hawaii for contract work.

They stay about 4 to 5 months every year.

Their English sucks, it sucks so bad it's better described as Spinglish, so I have a easier time negotiating a rental for them.

I've shopped it out every possible way, they're not all that picky, they work 6/12's so they aren't even around much.

They need to park a company truck, it costs extra above most advertised prices.
They want AC, and they don't like to share their rental with cockroachs, this automatically raises the bar.

If it's a monthly rental where the tenant is responsible for utilities beware, electric alone will run $350-$450 a month in Hawaii.

A quick check of what's been recommended in this thread reveals base rents between $1800-$2800, parking upwards of $200 extra, utilities around $400 extra.

So that's $2500 to $3500 a month before food and commute expenses.

And that's in locations that the reviews indicate you're lucky if you don't get your car stolen on a regular basis, no AC but plenty of cockroaches.

The guys I book for receive a $500.00+ a day per diem between the two of them.

This allows me to put them in a short term rental home or a vacation rental for around $4500.00 to $5000.00 a month and they are able to save a good bit of their per diem for food and miscellaneous expenses.

I'm curious, what's the military pay their men on the average while stationed in Hawaii?

It must be pretty strong or this guy's son is on a ridiculous search or fishing for pop's to help with the off-base tab.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by ribka

sheesh helicopter parent
Kudos to you sir!
Your ability to take a small amount of info and accurately assess the situation is amazing !
Thanks for your input!👍

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,436
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.