Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I put Nitto Ridge Grabblers on my RAM last spring. They are much better than the OEM Firestone HTs, but for when hauling a load. They get squirmy even at max air pressure. So, I am looking to replace them with something as aggressive, but also handles a load better. Basically, something that I can haul my camp trailer to camp and then go hunting and be confident is snow, ice and mud and be strong enough to haul hay or other heavy loads. Any suggestions.

Nitto Exo Grappler. They've got an extra ply in the sidewall, entirely different ride and stability vs. any of the 2-ply sidewall Nittos. I've used Trail Grapplers, Terra Grapplers, and I'm half-way through my 2nd set of Exo Grapplers on my '11 F250 diesel.

I just checked them out on the Nitto website. With that tight tread pattern how are they in mud and deep snow? They look like they would be good on light snow and shallow mud, but deep stuff is what I can expect while hunting.

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I put Nitto Ridge Grabblers on my RAM last spring. They are much better than the OEM Firestone HTs, but for when hauling a load. They get squirmy even at max air pressure. So, I am looking to replace them with something as aggressive, but also handles a load better. Basically, something that I can haul my camp trailer to camp and then go hunting and be confident is snow, ice and mud and be strong enough to haul hay or other heavy loads. Any suggestions.

Nitto Exo Grappler. They've got an extra ply in the sidewall, entirely different ride and stability vs. any of the 2-ply sidewall Nittos. I've used Trail Grapplers, Terra Grapplers, and I'm half-way through my 2nd set of Exo Grapplers on my '11 F250 diesel.

+1 on the exo grapplers. Probably my favorite towing tire.

I don't really use mine in deep mud. They are not an aggressive tire, but they do work well in snow. I have been switching to a studded tire for winter due to all the ice we get, but the exos handle snow quite well.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I see the Exo Grapplers can be studded also.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I've used Coopers and been satisfied pulling up to 14K.

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
I like Hankook ATM10s. They are 10 ply and used to be tough tires. I havent bought any in a few years but they were nice tires when i did.

Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member Safari Club International
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I see Toyo has a new tire called the Open Country R/T Trail. If it has a stiffer sidewall than the Nitto it might be the ticket.

That tire is a Les Schwab exclusive... they are touting that they designed it and are having Toyo make it for them...

you see over here in Oregon, they are selling quite a few of them. May be the fact that they are a little cheaper, than Toyo name on the side wall.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Chance615
I like Hankook ATM10s. They are 10 ply and used to be tough tires. I havent bought any in a few years but they were nice tires when i did.

This is what I run, and I've been floored by how many miles I have gotten out of them...

If you can believe it ( as I can't!), but I've got a pair on these on the rear end of my Honda Pilot, that I've put over 100K on these darn tires and I still have good tread depth. They come off when winter comes, and I put the Hankook winter tires on the vehicle, which are mounted on extra rims from the bone yard. Their winter tires provide more traction on wet rounds than the AT 10s do come Oregon Monsoon season...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Seafire
I see Toyo has a new tire called the Open Country R/T Trail. If it has a stiffer sidewall than the Nitto it might be the ticket.

That tire is a Les Schwab exclusive... they are touting that they designed it and are having Toyo make it for them...

you see over here in Oregon, they are selling quite a few of them. May be the fact that they are a little cheaper, than Toyo name on the side wall.

OK. No wonder I can't find them anywhere.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H

I just checked them out on the Nitto website. With that tight tread pattern how are they in mud and deep snow? They look like they would be good on light snow and shallow mud, but deep stuff is what I can expect while hunting.

I avoid deep mud like the plague, however, I did once drop all but the passenger's side rear into a mucky springtime field. Driver's front was up to the hub, passenger's front about half-way to the hub, passenger's rear was still on gravel. They self-cleaned pretty well while spinning fast and we drove out of the issue with a lot less drama than I was expecting.

In deep snow they work quite well. I ice-fish here in ND a fair amount and I have yet to be stuck out on a lake. I have been stuck on a couple of blown-in hard-packed section line prairie trails that were harder than I anticipated.

The Exo's are the best AT tire I've used on either of my 2 F-250 diesels ('06 6.0, '11 6.7) on packed snow/ice. No, they're not as good as studded or the super-soft "snow-tires" like Blizzak. That said, they were better for me than BFG AT KO/KO II, Nitto Trail/Terra Grappler, or Goodyear DuraTrac.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J

I avoid deep mud like the plague, however, I did once drop all but the passenger's side rear into a mucky springtime field. Driver's front was up to the hub, passenger's front about half-way to the hub, passenger's rear was still on gravel. They self-cleaned pretty well while spinning fast and we drove out of the issue with a lot less drama than I was expecting.

In deep snow they work quite well. I ice-fish here in ND a fair amount and I have yet to be stuck out on a lake. I have been stuck on a couple of blown-in hard-packed section line prairie trails that were harder than I anticipated.

The Exo's are the best AT tire I've used on either of my 2 F-250 diesels ('06 6.0, '11 6.7) on packed snow/ice. No, they're not as good as studded or the super-soft "snow-tires" like Blizzak. That said, they were better for me than BFG AT KO/KO II, Nitto Trail/Terra Grappler, or Goodyear DuraTrac.

I'm thinking of east central MT and eastern MT where gravel is a foreign idea. It rained opening day of rifle season and from past experience we would just be hanging around camp since the roads would be almost impassable. But sometimes this happens when you are already 'Back There", and it is good to have good tires to get you out. I bought into the hype of the DuraTrac and found them wanting on my 1-ton diesel.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Just talked to a friend who knows people who went back into where we had planned before the rains hit. They got their elk on Saturday and are still there because they can't get out due to the mud. This is the type of thing I want a tire to handle while still being able to haul a load.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Chains are nice to have in that scenario. Anything by Michelin is probably good to avoid.

The old bfg mt's were pretty good in mud and decent for towing. They had to be death on ice although I haven't used them in that scenario. A buddy of mine ran them a lot, but he had them studded. His weather checked really bad eventually. The newer design doesn't look like it would work nearly as well in mud.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good grief!

Get the Toyo Open Country M/T's

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'm thinking of east central MT and eastern MT where gravel is a foreign idea. It rained opening day of rifle season and from past experience we would just be hanging around camp since the roads would be almost impassable. But sometimes this happens when you are already 'Back There", and it is good to have good tires to get you out. I bought into the hype of the DuraTrac and found them wanting on my 1-ton diesel.

I hunt some of that country as well. IME, there isn't any tire one could really depend on in "Gumbo", especially if you're towing and/or driving a diesel, they're just too heavy over the front axel. That's what chains are for.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Reba
Good grief!

Get the Toyo Open Country M/T's

I had the MTs on a 3/4 ton for a while. Loved them for mud and deep snow. Scary on packed snow and ice. They were also surprisingly good on the highway, and I didn't lose any milage. I would switch to a different tire for winter as I do now. What really frustrated me about them was if I was stopped on gravel with a slight incline I would just sit there and spin. Had to put it in 4 WD to get going. Maybe if I got them siped like I did the Firestone MTs I had they would be better.

I hauled hay and what not with them with no problem. Seemed to have a much stronger sidewall than these Nittos. The Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT looks interesting, but I have never used them.

Last edited by Just a Hunter; 10/28/22.
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J

I hunt some of that country as well. IME, there isn't any tire one could really depend on in "Gumbo", especially if you're towing and/or driving a diesel, they're just too heavy over the front axel. That's what chains are for.

Yep, have used chains quite a bit. One time I went across a semi dried reservoir and sunk up to the axles getting stuck. Put chains on and pulled right out.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I have wild peaks on a few vehicles.

One is a drw f350 that packs a heavy load as a service truck and we do pull decently heavy trailers too. They have been pretty decent tires.

Might consider toyos also if you can get one with an open tread and some lug to it.

Last edited by Tarkio; 11/16/22.

Montana MOFO
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Trying to find tires remotely here, and not doing so hot. I bought a truck from Dave Smith and am planning to drive it back up here shortly.

Tried to locate a set of exo grapplers, and I have been striking out. Last guy I talked to made it sound like nitto may be rebranding/renumbering that tire. Even hackas are sold out lots of places. I had sort of resigned myself to buying blizzaks at Costco, because that seemed like a can't miss kinda deal, but I can't get any of the 3 Costco stores I called down south to answer their phone. I know I am getting to be an old fart, but not answering your phone is a really quick way to lose my business. So, I will probably have a report for folks shortly on how studded Hankook ipikes do towing with a diesel. smile

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by cwh2
Trying to find tires remotely here, and not doing so hot. I bought a truck from Dave Smith and am planning to drive it back up here shortly.

Tried to locate a set of exo grapplers, and I have been striking out. Last guy I talked to made it sound like nitto may be rebranding/renumbering that tire. Even hackas are sold out lots of places. I had sort of resigned myself to buying blizzaks at Costco, because that seemed like a can't miss kinda deal, but I can't get any of the 3 Costco stores I called down south to answer their phone. I know I am getting to be an old fart, but not answering your phone is a really quick way to lose my business. So, I will probably have a report for folks shortly on how studded Hankook ipikes do towing with a diesel. smile

What size do you need? Capt'n obvious question but, did you check Amazon? Also Capt'n obvious, but, did you try to have the dealer order them for you?

Looks like Discount Tire in Hayden ID can have them in a few days.

Last edited by horse1; 11/18/22.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Both obvious answers were too obvious for me I guess. I got the last set on amazon, but last time I looked they didn't want to ship them to me anymore. Ill see how the Ipikes do and then I have a while to find summer tires.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 163bc, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 71 invisible), 2,601 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,647
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.