-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I bought a green mountain 18" rifle length gas tube barrel to try for tight groups at 200 yds. While it is more accurate, I think I prefer the 16" pencil profile. The factory chrome lined bushmaster barrel is plenty accurate for anything I'd use it for. It does get hot faster, but cools faster. Not even trying to chase tight groups anymore. If I swap it back what should I sell the GM barrel for? Should I just keep it as an extra? GM52. 223 wylde.

Romans 5:1
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have a bcm 14.5 lwt midlength and love it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
I bought a green mountain 18" rifle length gas tube barrel to try for tight groups at 200 yds. While it is more accurate, I think I prefer the 16" pencil profile. The factory chrome lined bushmaster barrel is plenty accurate for anything I'd use it for. It does get hot faster, but cools faster. Not even trying to chase tight groups anymore. If I swap it back what should I sell the GM barrel for? Should I just keep it as an extra? GM52. 223 wylde.

A lot of guys running AR's stopped chasing tight groups. Get a 20", if you decide you want to start chasing again. HBAR preferably. If you are just plinking, screwing around or want something for self defense, anything will work. I'd go light in that case.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That's what I'm thinking, and just keep the GM barrel in case things become scarce.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My fave is an 18" lightweight/pencil contour. I have not seen many AR barrels that would not shoot MOA with ammo they liked, but ammo preference from barrel to barrel can vary hugely.

If you are seeing a big difference between your 16" and 18" my first suggestion is to try different ammo in the 16". If you feel sufficiently motivated, drop the scratch on some 68/69gr stuff or some 75/77 gr stuff. Maybe you've already done that.

As BSA said the most accurate ones I've seen were all medium to heavy contours but the differences (vs a quality lightweight contoured barrel) didn't become glaringly apparent until you were shooting longer strings.

IC B2

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Did someone say pencil barrel?

I started with a 16” Colt HBAR and while it shot great, I hated it the first time I picked up an SP-1 carbine. I wound up with a Bushmaster super light and it was my GP carbine. I still had the HBAR and added a couple of SPR’s and a few other heavier barrels but soon realized every time I was headed out to hunt or just kick around, I grabbed the light weight.

Fast forward 20 something years and I now have all pencil barrels save 1, 18” Criterion Hybrid barrel. While not a true light weight, it’s not heavy. None of mine are gonna win any high power matches but they all do 1.5 moa or dang close to it. (The Criterion is just under moa and seems to be getting better.)

But unless you’re shooting groups, a good pencil barrel will not let you down.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I swapped it back, and put GM barrel in classifieds if anyone is interested

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ballistic Advantage make a stainless fluted 16 & 18" barrel that are not quite "pencil" barrels but still light & the fluting on a heavier barrel adds some rigidity compared to a pure non-fluted version.

BA can be a little hit & miss in the accuracy department, but most are decent so long as you're not looking for Bartlien type results & they are priced modestly; AR15discounts.com usually has them for right around 2 bills, sometimes a little less.

I have a 16" & after some dicking around with it, it's actually pretty decent.

I like my heavier, longer barrels, but I really appreciate a light(er) 16 or 14.5" lightweight gun a lot.

MM

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I needed room in safe, to many scoped rifles. I'm not trying to shoot tiny groups anymore. By swapping to factory barrel, and replacing scope with a fastfire 3 it's lighter and frees up some room. I do think GM are good barrels though

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Next time Colt does a run of 6720s I'm in for one. My 6520 went to a relative in a "ban" state. Have a bunch of 20" A1 and A2 takeoffs. A1s hit a sweet spot for me. As if I care they won't stabilize 77s.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My main AR is a 14.5" mid-length pencil barrel. Its a sub-MOA shooter. I've consistently made hits out to 700 yards with it and disposed of dozens of critters. Its far more fun to carry around than the SOCOM profile barrels. Long strings of fire, there is some opening of groups, but not really shift. It also doesn't like suppressors all that much. If I gotta carry it, I like the pencil.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

223 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 14idaho, 2500HD, 16penny, 37 invisible), 1,976 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,993
Posts18,481,115
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.