B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Not enough muzzle energy and stuff.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The 10mm crowd is extra super hilarious.

Half of them have never chronograph'd what they're spending money on.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave

Half of them half never even chronograph'd what they're spending money on.

any data or comparison?

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
The answer is yes 9mm will work. No different than hunting, bullet placement!

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
If you fail to train frequently in a realistic manner, do not use a shot timer and do not always carry your weapon of choice you revert to "stopping power" discussions.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
As to caliber ,I was not one to force anyone one way or the other. My criteria was just carry what you can shoot/handle well and hit with. Our policy was limiting enough. I have worked with some range staff who have had and voiced opinions on caliber as the end all, be all choice. Shooter confidence in what you carry is a big factor in effectiveness.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by persiandog
Originally Posted by deflave

Half of them half never even chronograph'd what they're spending money on.

any data or comparison?

Yes.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well, I'm a firm believer in the 1911 in .45 ACP. However, I have never felt poorly armed when carrying a 9MM. In certain neighborhoods, the larger magazine capacity of a 9MM can be a comforting factor. Just never saw a 9MM that really tripped my trigger although the S&W 6906 came close. Twelve plus one up the spout. Could use the 15 round magazines from the S&W 59 IIRC. I even had a Star in .40 cal. for a while. A very short while. I shot it and it was decently accurate, smaller than a 1911 but a lot heavier. I sold it at a slight profit and wished the new owner well.

I usually carry a Colt Combat Commander .45 ACP concealed with an S&W M60 .38 Spl. as a back up. Spare magazines are two Wilson 10 rounders and 2 speed loaders for the .38. Sometimes it's only the .38 which is easier to hide in my vehicle when going to the doctor's office or other medical facility. State law doesn't allow weapons of any kind in doctor's offices or medical facilities.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Frankly, any firearm is better than no firearm.

Clothing limitations, social limitations, and location visiting usually have more influence on what I'm carrying (and I carry wherever and whenever I can) than academic arguments about "stopping power", caliber, 15 shots vs. 8 shots, striker vs. hammer vs. revolver, etc...

A Colt pocket pistol .25acp in your hand trumps a 10mm Glock G40 back home in the safe.

Every. Single. Time.

All that being said, my vehicle guns are all either .45 acp or 10mm full-sized semi autos.

I tend to carry my Colt Detective Special with Hornady Critical Defense .38 +P more than anything else, becasue it fits in my little pocket holster in my jeans pocket, so never an issue of concealment in any weather, any social condition, any location.

I'd prefer to be carrying a 5" barreled 10mm, but that is often not a practical option.

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Teal
Long live the 38 Super and 9x23

.357 Sig round does about the same as a .38 super.
I’ve got two Glocks in that caliber. It works well on feral hogs.
Wish some MFG would chamber a 1911 in that caliber.
Springfield Armory claimed they were going to chamber their EMP 1911in .357 Sig. But they never did.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...form=IQFRBA&first=1&disoverlay=1

Sig used to offer the nightmare carry in .357 Sig. You may find one on the used market.

I have both a p229 and a p226 in .357 sig .... great cartridge. BTW, the upper on a p226 and p229 work with either a .357 sig or a .40 S&W barrel. I've got both barrels for my p226 and p229.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Well, I'm a firm believer in the 1911 in .45 ACP. However, I have never felt poorly armed when carrying a 9MM. In certain neighborhoods, the larger magazine capacity of a 9MM can be a comforting factor. Just never saw a 9MM that really tripped my trigger although the S&W 6906 came close. Twelve plus one up the spout. Could use the 15 round magazines from the S&W 59 IIRC. I even had a Star in .40 cal. for a while. A very short while. I shot it and it was decently accurate, smaller than a 1911 but a lot heavier. I sold it at a slight profit and wished the new owner well.

I usually carry a Colt Combat Commander .45 ACP concealed with an S&W M60 .38 Spl. as a back up. Spare magazines are two Wilson 10 rounders and 2 speed loaders for the .38. Sometimes it's only the .38 which is easier to hide in my vehicle when going to the doctor's office or other medical facility. State law doesn't allow weapons of any kind in doctor's offices or medical facilities.
PJ

Dear God…

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Full size auto and revolver for decades.

Am thrilled w my P365

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I carry a G19, G17 or G34 quite frequently.

More often than not with a single spare magazine, often a 24 round Glock factory mag, though in the hottest part of summer I tend to carry the standard capacity 17 round mags more.

In my vehicle I keep some Glock factory 24 round versions.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I carry my own 148 grain +P hard cast flat point that clocks 1,100 FPS out of a G17, and is a very good load for deep penetration. (thats what she said! :D)

JWP475 picked some up from me and shot some into 20% gel (10% is normally the standard for handgun testing).

They did very well, to say the least.

I switched over to these for an all-around load back when the whole country was having issues with people rioting, flipping over cars, dragging innocent people out of cars, etc, all because they felt like it. I figured if I need to defend my family, I want something that will shoot through barriers, car doors, intermediate objects, etc.

Plus due to being in an area with large predators I wanted something that could be a dual purpose load. Something that would serve my needs for the trail/hunting/hiking and home/urban defense.

The punchline is that I have ZERO issue carrying a 9mm with the proper ammo, and do carry one. I carry a 9mm, .40, .45, 44 mag and .45 Colt as well. It simply depends on my needs at that time, and what I feel like carrying.

That said, I would certainly not put down the 9mm, as it has shown that it is extremely effective with the proper projectile, and skilled application.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
40 cal ammo is now cheaper then 9mm. The one hold up to our switch over to 9mm was buying the ammo to do it. 9mm was so in demand that we waited 10 months to get our ammo.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
In my pocket now.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
[Linked Image from i.gifer.com]

Get some!
I wish I'd had his job.

I'd prolly still be working.

Jerry and his wife Kay use to own a small gun shop In Louisiana.
Sold them quite a few guns when I worked in the Wholesale Firearms Industry.
His wife, Kay, the daughter of famed gunsmith Jim Clark, is a very accomplished Competition Shooter also, as is their daughter. Good folks all.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Funny how a 9mm is never enough to shoot a human, but a 223 is more than adequate to shoot big game. When did humans become so bullet proof?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MPat70
Originally Posted by martinstrummer
Rather have a 9mm than a sharp stick!
Rather have my .40 than a 9mm!
+1
Rather have one of my .45s than a 9mm in Murderapolis... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Funny how a 9mm is never enough to shoot a human, but a 223 is more than adequate to shoot big game. When did humans become so bullet proof?
When some perps began wearin' bullet-proof vests??

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1Longbow, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 2500HD, 1936M71, 01Foreman400, 51 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,662
Posts18,474,682
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.