-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Even if paid for, we are renting from the bastards that make us pay school, property taxes. You quit paying, you won’t be in it long!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
Even if paid for, we are renting from the bastards that make us pay school, property taxes. You quit paying, you won’t be in it long!

This from the guy that worked for a school district and bragged about how much he made? really?

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by hardway
Ramsey recommends living like a peasant for your whole working life so you can be wealthy for the last 10 years of your life when you are all crippled up lol. I didn't buy until I was about 35.... payed 180k for a junk house on a couple acres in a really nice area..… spent all my spare cash and did all the work myself but when I refinanced last year it appraised for 550k.... I got a 15 year mortgage for 2.1%. I also have a boat payment and we have one truck payment...ohhhh the HORROR 🤣🤣🤣 I put good down payments on both and can dump em quick if ever need to but I'm gonna enjoy life now while my kids are young..... we can eat out whenever we feel like it, still put a little in the savings account every week and I have enough guns, trailers, and other chit I could liquidate if I ever need to. My house will be payed for by the time I retire at 55 and I will have a really good pension and annuity to pay my taxes and utilities.

That's my rub with him as well. It's great I guess for folks with no discipline in their spending habits. Also, his plan does not work for rural folk, especially in northern climes. I'd rather carry a little debt and enjoy my life and and my family as long as I can make the payments AND have a light in the tunnel where it'll all be paid off before I die.

I could be free and clear on my house in the prairie. Or I could by carry a heavy note and live where I promised my wife we'd come back to. If money is all a guy cared about I could sell my place now for 3X what I paid and walk away with a pretty good chunk of change and pay off my tractor and truck loans to boot. But I couldn't buy what I have with what I'd get selling it. So I guess to many I'm a sucker. lol

MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
There’s good debt, and there’s bad debt.

My wife and I decided to pay off our house early, despite the advantages of cheap money. The dynamics of our industry drove the decision. Pharmaceutical sales is a fickle business, full of retractions and expansions, so knowing that we held the paper free and clear made operating in the sector much easier.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Me and the missus are thinkin pretty hard of downgrading the driveway from $8 to $3. Thataway we can spend a little more on new tarps for the roof. Thankfully we can still get the old tires we need to hold it down down at Chuck's Spin and Grin Tire Shop. Lookin forward to the day the T1-11 gives out an we can go straight tarpaper. Tough and looks good too.

We gotta good thing goin here.
The best siding is sawmill slab over tarpaper. Put the sawdust in the walls for insulation, held in by red rosin paper.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by Beaver10
All my guns and optics are paid for.

🦫

I just bought a new 6.5 Creedmoor with a Leupy 3x9.... Mastercard says if I make a $50 month payment in 12 years it will be paid off....
I think that was a smart move... a CREEDMOOR... now I can shoot to 1500yds... that's worth something.. smile

Oh and the house.... rotated the roof tires recently, they last forever... wink

Here’s another ‘Pro Tip’

Retread tires are the best for roofs.

Lol

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All my guns and optics are paid for.

🦫

I just bought a new 6.5 Creedmoor with a Leupy 3x9.... Mastercard says if I make a $50 month payment in 12 years it will be paid off....
I think that was a smart move... a CREEDMOOR... now I can shoot to 1500yds... that's worth something.. smile

Oh and the house.... rotated the roof tires recently, they last forever... wink

Here’s another ‘Pro Tip’

Retread tires are the best for roofs.

Lol

🦫

This^^ is why I love the campfire... pro tips that will help you excel in life!

As soon as I get my 6.5 dialed, expect me to flood the campfire with hero pic's of trophy critters! smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In all seriousness though guys.

To properly address this issue would require a book of info. It's not as simple as paying your house off and staying married to become wealthy.

Do the math you cannot save enough on an average or even good wage to become wealthy.

You need to learn to invest and in doing so use financial "tools" such as loans etc.....

Now if you just want to live a comfortable but relatively simple life, get a good job, a good wife with a good job, buy a house within your means, pay it off, invest in your 401K
and do this for years and chances are good you will meet your goal.

Pharmseller mentioned good debt and bad debt and he is spot on!

A 15/30 fixed home loan @2.5 percent on an appreciating asset would be considered good debt.

A business loan @4.5% that enables a business that cash flows you a very comfortable living is a good debt also.

Also when interest rates are running as hot as they are now, these interest rates are like free money I.E. , Would you want to be a lender getting 2.5% when the inflation is 9%?

The devil is in the details though, you can take both of the examples I pointed out above and turn them into bad debt. For example, you over pay on a house that is above your price range.... you borrow for a business that becomes insolvent etc....

My rule of thumb is no more than 30% debt to value ratio. I prefer 25% and that is where I am at currently (thanks to inflating asset values)

If I was to disclose my debt many of you would laugh at me... but if I disclosed the value of my assets you wouldn't..... so it's not so simple.

Dave Ramsey is full of schit, yet he is more right than wrong. For the average guy that is consumed with his job and keeping the lights on he is spot on.

For others, willing to put in the work, research etc... then act on that with saved money and leveraged money , the world can be your oyster... if you have the balls, risk reward thing.
To declare your way is the best and only way is just foolish.... but it is fun to "flex" on these threads and they never disappoint to entertain..... wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
SO, if the car dealer offers me 0% interest on a new car I should borrow against my retirement account to buy the car outright instead of going into debt???

Jeebus.

Yeah, fuby. Sometimes debt is good.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
SO, if the car dealer offers me 0% interest on a new car I should borrow against my retirement account to buy the car outright instead of going into debt???

Jeebus.

Dave Ramsey would scold you for such foolishness.....

I, on the other hand think that's pretty darn smart... wink

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Ramsey uses a one size fits all , cookie cutter approach . That’s why I quit listening to him fifteen years ago. You’re either a dumb ass or you’re not.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Jeebus.

Good thing I was taught by nuns

They showed me how to figger that kinda stuff out by 4th grade

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Jeebus.

Yes Geno, it's a good thing those virtuous nuns made an upstanding citizen out of you.... I would hate to think how things would have turned out if you had been left to your own devices....... wink

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Yes, but by the person that I rent from:)

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Mines paid off. I was tempted to borrow against it a year ago when they had 15 year loans about 2.1%. Sometimes I wish I had borrowed at that rate now that it's tripled but I would have probably built spec homes or new rentals with it and paid too much for them. If I'd have borrowed it and kept it in the bank until prices come down it could have been ok.

They were going to loan me 1.1 million without an appraisal id be sick if I'd done it and invested it and lost. But you can't make money without risk. I think the wife was right though when she said you worked too hard to pay it off to borrow against it now. But 2.1% money was incredibly tempting.

Bb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In all seriousness though guys.

To properly address this issue would require a book of info. It's not as simple as paying your house off and staying married to become wealthy.

Do the math you cannot save enough on an average or even good wage to become wealthy.

You need to learn to invest and in doing so use financial "tools" such as loans etc.....

Now if you just want to live a comfortable but relatively simple life, get a good job, a good wife with a good job, buy a house within your means, pay it off, invest in your 401K
and do this for years and chances are good you will meet your goal.

Pharmseller mentioned good debt and bad debt and he is spot on!

A 15/30 fixed home loan @2.5 percent on an appreciating asset would be considered good debt.

A business loan @4.5% that enables a business that cash flows you a very comfortable living is a good debt also.

Also when interest rates are running as hot as they are now, these interest rates are like free money I.E. , Would you want to be a lender getting 2.5% when the inflation is 9%?

The devil is in the details though, you can take both of the examples I pointed out above and turn them into bad debt. For example, you over pay on a house that is above your price range.... you borrow for a business that becomes insolvent etc....

My rule of thumb is no more than 30% debt to value ratio. I prefer 25% and that is where I am at currently (thanks to inflating asset values)

If I was to disclose my debt many of you would laugh at me... but if I disclosed the value of my assets you wouldn't..... so it's not so simple.

Dave Ramsey is full of schit, yet he is more right than wrong. For the average guy that is consumed with his job and keeping the lights on he is spot on.

For others, willing to put in the work, research etc... then act on that with saved money and leveraged money , the world can be your oyster... if you have the balls, risk reward thing.
To declare your way is the best and only way is just foolish.... but it is fun to "flex" on these threads and they never disappoint to entertain..... wink

Good post. If I could start life again I'd definitely use other folks money more than I did and I'd would have for sure not married the evil #2.

I don't owe anything for anything I have other than the property tax grift. But I'm old enough that should be the case.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Jeebus.

Yes Geno, it's a good thing those virtuous nuns made an upstanding citizen out of you.... I would hate to think how things would have turned out if you had been left to your own devices....... wink

Most of them would be amazed I'm still alive. And not in the hoosegow.

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Jeebus.

Most of them would be amazed I'm still alive. And not in the hoosegow.

Young boys are suppose to be hellions..... today very few understand that

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
We paid ours off 8 or 10 years ago when we were in our early 50's.

Unfortunately, .gov charges me $8000.00 per year to live in my own house.

That's the reason we NEVER own our home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
We paid ours off 8 or 10 years ago when we were in our early 50's.

Unfortunately, .gov charges me $8000.00 per year to live in my own house.

That's the reason we NEVER own our home.

Not all places have outrageous property tax... although I do buy the argument all property tax is outrageous...
I hear about the tax rates back east and think wtf, why would anyone live there?

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, 8 invisible), 1,479 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,324
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.