Print Thread
Hop To
B
bobinpa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Does anyone make a fiberglass or composite stock that replicates a featherweight stock with a schnabel forend?

I'd like to find one for a short action if possible but my searches are coming up empty. I thought McMillan made one but I can't find it now....
Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by bobinpa; 10/30/22.

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Only two I’m aware of may be unobtainium; the discontinued McMillan you mention above; and the wildcat composite out of Alberta which - last I heard - still wasn’t coming across the border.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Only two I’m aware of may be unobtainium; the discontinued McMillan you mention above; and the wildcat composite out of Alberta which - last I heard - still wasn’t coming across the border.

So, mcmillan made the winlite with a schnabel and also the featherweight pattern I believe. Those are pretty much the same shape, except the fwt pattern had checkering? Is this correct AK? Did they make a winilite in a short action? Another one that some may not think about is the factory tupperware fwt stock with schnabel.. Those really are not bad stocks, after proper glass bedding and freefloat.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The schnabel winlite *is* the McMillan featherweight, except that once McMillan started offering it as an aftermarket they added the short action and the checkering as an option. No short action winlites.

The all-terrains were all long action also, but you may be right about some tupperware short actions with the schnabel - I feel like CDNN may have had some at one point.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good info..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
bobinpa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the info . Looks like I am out of luck on the schnabel forend .... Can you guys make a suggestion on a good fiberglass stock that closely replicates the grip area of a factory featherweight stock?

TRUMP 2020
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I use alot of the Hunters Compact EDGE. At least that is what I believe it is called.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
I use alot of the Hunters Compact EDGE. At least that is what I believe it is called.

I never know what the real name is anymore, but I know exaclty which one you are talking about. That is my favorite for a fwt as well. I think when you are referring to the one with edge fill it is just compact edge. When you have one with standard fill, it is a "hunters compact"..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It used to be called the Winchester compact (glass) and the Winchester hunters edge.

https://mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-rifle-stocks/hunting-stocks-winchester-compact-gunstock/

Under Bob Beck, the already simple and straightforward McMillan naming classification has become even more straightforward, and they are now simply known as the Hunter edge sporter - also available in fiberglass! laugh

https://mcmillanusa.com/stock/hunters-edge-2/

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
It used to be called the Winchester compact (glass) and the Winchester hunters edge.

https://mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-rifle-stocks/hunting-stocks-winchester-compact-gunstock/

Under Bob Beck, the already simple and straightforward McMillan naming classification has become even more straightforward, and they are now simply known as the Hunter edge sporter - also available in fiberglass! laugh

https://mcmillanusa.com/stock/hunters-edge-2/

I don't know why they keep re-naming it??

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Same boat, I always forget what model it is myself.

Either way, I like it alot.

Semper Fi
B
bobinpa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it! I am trying to find a stock to put on a short action.... I really want a McMillan but I hate the wait time. Does anybody know of a company that does molded in colors other than McMillan? OR does anybody know of a company that may have McMillans in stock??? Try not to laugh at that last question....

Last edited by bobinpa; 11/02/22.

TRUMP 2020
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
None that I am aware of. I'd put the order in Bob, they have been good in getting me a stock in less than 3 months.

Semper Fi
B
bobinpa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
None that I am aware of. I'd put the order in Bob, they have been good in getting me a stock in less than 3 months.

Thanks again. 3 months isn't bad so I probably will.... I just have to pick one.

TRUMP 2020
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Seems Mcmillan isn't inletting many of the Winchester stocks, which limits the options. Also can't order through the campfire anymore.

How do the Pendleton classic stocks compare? Price is about the same.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by greenomics
Seems Mcmillan isn't inletting many of the Winchester stocks, which limits the options. Also can't order through the campfire anymore.

How do the Pendleton classic stocks compare? Price is about the same.

A while back guys were complaining about that. I don't know how bad it is now? If they are still not inletting many stocks for the winchester model 70, those of you that bought stocks "stupid cheap", like some have said, you better hang on to those sob's because they are worth far more than what you paid. This is another reason I search out used stocks like Mcmillan, Brown PoundR's and Pacific Research. If you luck in to one of these for a good deal, you know you better go and buy a lottery ticket. As for your question about the Pendleton stock? I don't hear anything here about them. Good luck with your search. AKWolverine is the stock expert here and he has not chimed in, so that tells you something..

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Enthusiast perhaps! 😬

Didn’t chime in because I have no experience with them. I’ve heard good things and Wayne seems to have a solid reputation.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bobinpa
I am trying to find a stock to put on a short action.... I really want a McMillan but I hate the wait time. Does anybody know of a company that does molded in colors other than McMillan? OR does anybody know of a company that may have McMillans in stock??? Try not to laugh at that last question....

There's a NIB McMillan Schnable fore end stock of some sort here....will check and see what it is. If it will work for you, it'll be stupid cheap.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have a Pendelton stock. Had Wayne do a rebore job and bought one of his stocks all same time. P re 64 FW rifle shoots 1-hole groups at 100. To sum it up I like the stock rifle shoots great Wanye was and is good to deal with. Give Wayne a call sees if what he has will work for you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Finally had some time to check out the Schnable McMillan here. It's a 'flat top' (no inletting or barrel channel) and was part of a group that Kelly and Dick would offer to dealers if you bought a 'lot' (10-20 at a time) of the odd-ball and over run stocks they would end up with.

By my measuring, a Model 70 (even a short or a FWT barrel shank) wouldn't end up fitting very well after the inletting was done.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

181 members (12344mag, 44mc, 7887mm08, 160user, 1936M71, 22 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 999 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,645
Posts18,533,734
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.