Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 117LBS
The best use case for a QD system that I’ve seen is the ability to pin and weld a muzzle device on a sub 16” barrel to achieve a shorter overall length with the can attached without paying the tax on an sbr or welding the suppressor.

I did that with my scorpion to avoid having to pay the SBR tax to be able to use a stock. To be perfectly honest that was my best sounding combo and is where the can spent 99.9% of its' time anyway.

I did pin/weld the rear mount and the tube though. Had to do that to bring it to legal length, but I can still remove the front cap and pull the baffles and spacers out the front for cleaning and stuff. No big deal there.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can’t bring myself to want one.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lastround

It's an acquired taste.
And I wish I'd done it years sooner.

WWP53D
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SKane

It's an acquired taste.

You and me both.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In our yearly spring clean up and meeting at deer camp a motion was made and carried that no suppressors allowed. Yes, Robert's Rules of Order were in place.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Then why are you commenting here?

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by JGRaider

It's an acquired taste.

You and me both.

Same here.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by roundoak
In our yearly spring clean up and meeting at deer camp a motion was made and carried that no suppressors allowed. Yes, Robert's Rules of Order were in place.

None of my business but why?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got into them during the “pandemic” guns were in short supply and prices crazy. I spent my gun budget getting into suppressors since prices and inventory were fairly constant. There’s no downside to owning a few even if mostly used for load development and range toys IMO and are a lifetime investment.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kaleb

High percentage of our group are 50 years old and older and traditionalist. The wool red and black buffalo plaid brigade came close in voting out "Black" rifles three years ago.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

High percentage of our group are 50 years old and older and traditionalist. The wool red and black buffalo plaid brigade came close in voting out "Black" rifles three years ago.

So you are going to kick out the guys that are responsible for all the hanging meat bags…

Sean
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

*fudd voice* “I HAVE HEARING DAMAGE ITS ONLY FAIR YOU GET IT TOO, SONNY”

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems rather short sighted to me. Same mentality 70 years ago would have said "None of those danged telescopic sights allowed. Buckhorns and beads only!".

A supersonic rifle round through a suppressor still sounds as loud or louder than a high-velocity .22lr. That's still fairly noticeable by the game animals, but it doesn't wreck the ears of the shooter, much like 117LBS is referring to above. I suppose I could maybe see a club being concerned about subsonics being used on game, but not supersonics.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Seems rather backwards thinking to me.

In my head, I heard it as the voice of elmer fudd saying "no siwencers awowed".

[Linked Image from cdn.quotesgram.com]

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
No interest here

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Early 50s here.
A lot of folks think the "turd" on the end looks absurd - and you can surely count me as one of them.
While I'm a form AND function guy to the core, for me, the function part of suppressors put form far in the rear view mirror.

I look forward to being my dad's age and not prefacing every answer to an inquiry with "hah?" or "I didn't quite catch that - can you repeat"? laugh
(though at my age, I know some of the damage has already been done)

In doe reduction situations in the past (when needing to fill multiple tags), I'd shoot at one in the group and the rest head for the hills at Mach 6. With suppressor, there seems to be a bit of confusion amongst them - they may trot a little trying to figure out the sound but they don't come out of their skin.....leading to multiple tags filled vs. a single tag.

And suppressors are a gamechanger in multiple coyote situations too – even mo' bettah if hunting with a partner.

That said, if I had a dandy Savage 99 that I coveted or a rifle handed down, it wouldn't get cut/threaded.

WWP53D
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
In doe reduction situations in the past (when needing to fill multiple tags), I'd shoot at one in the group and the rest head for the hills at Mach 6. With suppressor, there seems to be a bit of confusion amongst them - they may trot a little trying to figure out the sound but they don't come out of their skin.....leading to multiple tags filled vs. a single tag.

And suppressors are a gamechanger in multiple coyote situations too – even mo' bettah if hunting with a partner.

That said, if I had a dandy Savage 99 that I coveted or a rifle handed down, it wouldn't get cut/threaded.

I'll echo this sentiment. I get to cull 20-25 whitetail does every year from good friend's MLD ground in TX, and donate the majority of it to Hunter's for the Hungry. I love that program. Have noticed the same thing with hogs as well, as this guy's land gives up 150 or so hogs per year. You said it best.....suppressors are a game changer in several different ways.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SeanD

So you are going to kick out the guys that are responsible for all the hanging meat bags…
Ha, those 50 years and older guys kill their share of deer and many hunt the mountains in the west for elk, mule deer, mountain goat and sheep.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 117LBS

*fudd voice* “I HAVE HEARING DAMAGE ITS ONLY FAIR YOU GET IT TOO, SONNY”
I have known many of the guys most of my life and ear protection has always been a priority with them. A couple of them wear hearing aids due to injury in the Vietnam War. Nobody else have hearing aids.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
roundoak, not everyone that utilizes a suppressor is fully-uniformed in head-to-toe KUIU or SITKA complete with flat-brimmed hat, fashioning a lifted truck w/large decals in the back window. I suspect your group might have some biased toward that crowd...maybe? I know I do. laugh laugh

WWP53D
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,369 guests, and 1,459 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,167
Posts18,484,520
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.