Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
MCMark Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thought I'd post a intro. Left handed guy from SE SK.
Probably going to be going hunting this fall for the 1st time laugh
I'm more active over on the canadian hunting forum CGN under the name MilitaryCollectorMark, hence the name on here smile
Collecton includes both a 300 win mag and 25-06 carl gustaf, the 300 win mag is a modified 30-06.
And a 6.5x55 LKM70 zastava and LKM 85 in 7.62x39

Mark

Proud Left hander!
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Welcome Mark.
I saw you having issues getting your Zastava’s and was going to pm you on cgn but when I was in Dalton Ga on Thursday I saw you had them.
In Slave Lake now and will be going to Wainwright Auction to pu 4 for myself and could have met your seller on my way home to Mb.

Bob.

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Welcome. Wife & I were in Yorkton a month ago. Visited friends on our way back from an (unsuccessful) AB moose hunt. Had to wash a bunch of dirty clothes at the dingy little laundromat East of the CO-OP grocery. Been to your town at least a dozen times. Lots of nice people up there.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
MCMark;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day treated you acceptably and this finds you well.

Welcome to the 'Fire from south central BC.

While it's been a good long while since I've been back in your fair city, I'm familiar with it as I went to school in Churchbridge, we farmed north of there closer to Calder and McNutt and we'd do most of the shopping in Yorkton.

When it was still "a thing" we'd usually run to Yorkton to go cruise the main drag and see what cars from other towns would show up. There used to be a local with a '69 Judge that had a modified 400 in it that was the car to beat back in the late '70's.

There were mostly whitetails for big game back then, though I'm given to understand that moose and mule deer have moved in which is cool.

Good luck on your hunting this fall and again welcome to the 'Fire.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by BC30cal
MCMark;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day treated you acceptably and this finds you well.

While it's been a good long while since I've been back in your fair city, I'm familiar with it as I went to school in Churchbridge, we farmed north of there closer to Calder and McNutt and we'd do most of the shopping in Yorkton.

When it was still "a thing" we'd usually run to Yorkton to go cruise the main drag and see what cars from other towns would show up. There used to be a local with a '69 Judge that had a modified 400 in it that was the car to beat back in the late '70's.

There were mostly whitetails for big game back then, though I'm given to understand that moose and mule deer have moved in which is cool.

Dwayne

We saw a small bull moose just outside of Calder a few weeks ago while visiting the area. Last time up we ran into some locals hunting elk just a bit north of there. Whitetails seemed abundant but we did not see any mule deer. We also stopped at the grocery store in Churchbridge. Another nice town full of friendly people.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hey MCMark:

Is your Carl Gustaf 25-06 left-handed? I found one in Havre, MT years ago.

GC

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hey! Welcome from another Canuck. Ontario, also left handed (curse) I'm also looking for another cz 527 left hand if you hear of any or a Zastava 85! Good site here, lots of knowledge. Bill. GWP. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was framing in Yorkton 10 years ago, I like it there. Lots of hot rod enthusiasts there.
I saw my first Jackrabbit there, I got back in the truck in case he attacked, he was near 3ft tall.

Just prior to my arrival it rained 6" in one hour, lots of insurance work at the time because of the flooding.

M
MCMark Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Bob: Happy that they were finally able to ship! Thanks for your offer!
WMR: Yeah, it's a pretty good town.
Dwayne: That's interesting! I'm over by MacNutt. That Judge sounded like a cool one! Still a couple good car show put on each year.
There are some moose, have noticed more mule deer, I think you can get a liscence to hunt them?
GrouseChaser: Yes it is. I bought it with a different stock on it, striped and need to paint it smile
Bill: Hey, atleast one ting going, trying to find the rifles in a fun hunt smile I'll keep you in mind if I come across any.
673: Yes, that was when a good portion of downtown was flooded.

Mark

Last edited by MCMark; 11/01/22.

Proud Left hander!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mark;
Good afternoon, I trust the first day of the second last month behaved itself for you and you're well.

We got a wee bit of snow up at the 5000' level this morning, perfect for opening day of our short moose season and it did show I was in the right place, just at the wrong time this morning!

Of course tracks don't tell me if it was a legal bull - 2 point or spike on one side max - but it's nice to get out anyways.

My goodness if you're over by MacNutt then you'll likely be neighbors with some of my family out there, small world sometimes.

I'm not sure about what one can hunt out there or not as my brother who is still farming there doesn't hunt and the cousins who I believe do hunt I'm not in close contact with anymore.

Speaking of car shows, if you or anyone reading this is ever out in the Okanagan around the last weekend in June, the Peach City Beach Cruise in Penticton is one to see. I want to say there were over 600 rigs entered last year and then most years there's at least that many interesting rides out in the parking lots too. I keep threatening to put our 40th Anniversary Mustang ragtop into the show, but haven't quite gotten around to it yet. Maybe next year.

Again welcome here and good hunting.

Dwayne

IC B3

M
MCMark Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Mark;
Good afternoon, I trust the first day of the second last month behaved itself for you and you're well.

We got a wee bit of snow up at the 5000' level this morning, perfect for opening day of our short moose season and it did show I was in the right place, just at the wrong time this morning!

Of course tracks don't tell me if it was a legal bull - 2 point or spike on one side max - but it's nice to get out anyways.

My goodness if you're over by MacNutt then you'll likely be neighbors with some of my family out there, small world sometimes.

I'm not sure about what one can hunt out there or not as my brother who is still farming there doesn't hunt and the cousins who I believe do hunt I'm not in close contact with anymore.

Speaking of car shows, if you or anyone reading this is ever out in the Okanagan around the last weekend in June, the Peach City Beach Cruise in Penticton is one to see. I want to say there were over 600 rigs entered last year and then most years there's at least that many interesting rides out in the parking lots too. I keep threatening to put our 40th Anniversary Mustang ragtop into the show, but haven't quite gotten around to it yet. Maybe next year.

Again welcome here and good hunting.

Dwayne

Hi Dwayne,

Yes, cut some wood that we're going to split next year for firewood.
I'll PM you, curious about your relatives out here. I'm pretty sure we're allowed most of the game you're able to hunt in BC, we don't have much in the way of elk, mostly smaller black bears and lots of whitetails, more mule deer have been moving in the last few years.

That sounds like a really good car show! Yorkton has a couple good ones, Roblin MB has had, for the last 5 years a nice car show, they close off main street, basically from the tire shop to the street before the rail line.

Mark

Proud Left hander!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
MCMark;
Good evening once more sir, thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure how many posts one needs before the PM's work here - perhaps someone can answer that?

We used to go to Roblin to get parts from Gaber's.

I believe my wife's nephews would hunt elk north of Roblin back in the day too, but how far north they were I'm not sure sorry.

As for game, for sure Saskatchewan has stuff we don't out here like pronghorn and I'd suggest that the prairie strain of mulies will often get bigger bodies and racks than the local mulies. The whitetails are a different subspecies too.

We'll have mountain goats, Stone, Dahl, California and Rocky Mountain sheep here which Saskatchewan won't, but one does have to travel if one wants to hunt sheep. There is some goat hunting that is more local, but our Okanagan goats are LEH only hunts.

Our black bears in the Okanagan aren't as large as the ones on Vancouver Island get, likely habitat and genetics combined.

Manitoba surely had some whopper black bears taken, so perhaps some wander west? wink

There used to be a whole bunch of folks with my last name out that way as there were 11 kids in my late father's family, but I want to say that my brother and one cousin might be the only ones left now with that handle. There's still some cousins left in that neck of the woods though.

I'm the same vintage as the MLA from Melville/Saltcoats, Hon. Warren Kaeding we graduated together.

We drifted west here 38 years ago and haven't made it back more than a handful of times so my information about who is doing what is second hand and remotely accessed anymore.

If you're coming out of MacNutt west on the 381 and turn south at the old Romanian Orthodox church, the yard where I grew up in is 5 miles south I want to say? We were 8 miles south of Calder. Last time I was there the barn had fallen in and the house is gone, but there was still some trees and a dugout in the yard.

It looked like this back then...

[Linked Image]

Anyways sir, it's a fairly tiny planet sometimes isn't it?

All the best.

Dwayne

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WMR
MCMark;

Dwayne

We saw a small bull moose just outside of Calder a few weeks ago while visiting the area. Last time up we ran into some locals hunting elk just a bit north of there. Whitetails seemed abundant but we did not see any mule deer. We also stopped at the grocery store in Churchbridge. Another nice town full of friendly people.

WMR;
Good evening to you, I hope the first day of November behaved for you and you're well.

My grandfather moved to the area in the early '30's and my late father said that the old timers used to talk about moose hunting there, but in those days there were none and he recalled that seeing a deer was a notable thing. Dad said deer started to come back in the late '50's or early '60's.

When I was a kid out there we'd see whitetails only for big game.

I want to say that in '82 or '83 we had a young bull moose on the quarter east of the shop and again it was notable.

Last season or maybe the season before, our eldest daughter and I were up chasing deer as the moose season hadn't started yet. It had snowed up at 5000' and we saw the biggest Okanagan bull we'd ever seen - maybe 5' but heavy - and a legal spike bull, along with 2 cows. There were no calves and we didn't like to see that.

Anyways I happened to be talking to my brother and mentioned we'd seen 4 moose in one spot up on the mountain behind the house. He replied that he'd seen 5 bulls in one field on the grid road heading south out of Calder earlier that week!!!

They seem to see black bears out there now once in awhile too.

He's not seen elk that far south yet, but if Saskatchewan elk are related to ours here, they'd go from Calder to Yorkton for their favorite snack and be back for bed time!

All the best and good hunting.

Dwayne

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Welcome, Mark. Always nice to have another Western Canadian & southpaw around. There are actually a handful of us here. Good luck with your new rifles & in your first hunting season!

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MCMark
I'm more active over on the canadian hunting forum CGN under the name MilitaryCollectorMark, hence the name on here smile
Collecton includes both a 300 win mag and 25-06 carl gustaf, the 300 win mag is a modified 30-06.

Mark

Welcome to the party Mark, you will enjoy it here.

Unlike Canadian forums, from what I have experienced to date, we are not moderated to death and free speech actually still exists here.

Lots of great members with some great insight and knowledge and If you ever plan on hunting south of our border, any question you have will get answered by experienced people.

Cheers ~Darren

KB

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I heard Elk bugling when I was in Yorkton, I asked the fellow where I was staying....where do they hide?
I can see for 10 miles and don't see anything LOL.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Originally Posted by MCMark

Mark

Welcome to the party Mark, you will enjoy it here.

Unlike Canadian forums, from what I have experienced to date, we are not moderated to death and free speech actually still exists here.

Lots of great members with some great insight and knowledge and If you ever plan on hunting south of our border, any question you have will get answered by experienced people.

Cheers ~Darren
I had to back away from the Canadian forum I was on, I will leave it to the shills and lobbyist's to carry on. Its too bad, but they are really doing a disservice to their fellow sportsman stifling free speech because some feelers get hurt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
hey Mark, I hope you are doing great, we got our first snowfall last night, so now the critters will be on the move and their "Puddy Prints" will be easily visible, always a good thing!

Another thing about Canadian forums besides the horrible moderators, is how fellow outdoor enthusiasts love to rip each other to shreds, I do not see that here. The posse mentality is also outrageous, if you know what I mean?

I am very happy I found Campfire and will never be on a Canadian Outdoors Forum Again. All we have to do here is to teach Dwayne how to be polite and to tone down his aggressive posts lol!

Cheers ~

KB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
killerbee if you are half as nice as bc30cal you are a good dude LOL

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 44mc
killerbee if you are half as nice as bc30cal you are a good dude LOL

Hi 44mc, I do my best to be pleasant and to stay away from any negative fray, but Mother Terresa I am not hehe.

Dwayne is one of the coolest people on this forum, and there are a lot of great people here, you do not get better than him :o)

This is also the best Hunting forum I have ever seen, happy to have found it!

Cheers ~

Last edited by KillerBee; 11/02/22.

KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (219 Wasp, 219DW, 160user, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,187
Posts18,503,347
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.