Print Thread
Hop To
V
Vek Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
I have a 4" tapered barrel version of the title coming...it has the DAO hammer from the factory. There are k-frame hammers galore on ebay. Will I have a tough time getting an acceptable result swapping one in?

Another question...grip is an old poorly-shaped rubber abomination. I'm not averse to rubber at all...is there a preferred grip from hogue or pachmayr for a square butt k-frame? Or a target-type wood grip? I'm not a huge fan of the frame-size wood grips as I find them a big spindly. I also have no need to have a factory wood grip on there if aftermarket is cheap, shape-able and serviceable.

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I was a S&W revolver armorer for my department back in the Dark Ages (which seemed much brighter than today), and I have installed a fair number of hammers in K-Frames over the years. The vast majority of the time there was no fitting required other than usually swapping the sear from the old hammer to the new one. We never dealt with the S&W DAO revolvers, so I am not sure, but I assume the trigger in your revolver is a standard unit.

Of course, your mileage may vary, but there is a really good chance the new hammer will work. If it comes with a sear, give it a try, and if it doesn't work, swap sears with the old hammer and see if that works. If it doesn't, a decent gunsmith can fit it for you for a moderate cost.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 11/01/22.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree, your hammer swap should be no problem.

Personally, I like the Hogue Monogrip. I have put them (wood) on everything. I prefer the hard nylon Monogrip over the rubber, which is tacky and I don't like that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Vek
I have a 4" tapered barrel version of the title coming, ...is there a preferred grip from hogue or pachmayr for a square butt k-frame? Or a target-type wood grip? I'm not a huge fan of the frame-size wood grips as I find them a big spindly. I also have no need to have a factory wood grip on there if aftermarket is cheap, shape-able and serviceable.
My geezerly hands no longer appreciate square butt K-Frame S&Ws. So, I used a bench grinder and mill file to turn ‘em into round butts and redid the back strap serrations with a checkering file:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Hogue K-Frame Bantam round butt grips completed the deal.

Every day’s an adventure.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Vek
I have a 4" tapered barrel version of the title coming...it has the DAO hammer from the factory. There are k-frame hammers galore on ebay. Will I have a tough time getting an acceptable result swapping one in?

Another question...grip is an old poorly-shaped rubber abomination. I'm not averse to rubber at all...is there a preferred grip from hogue or pachmayr for a square butt k-frame? Or a target-type wood grip? I'm not a huge fan of the frame-size wood grips as I find them a big spindly. I also have no need to have a factory wood grip on there if aftermarket is cheap, shape-able and serviceable.

Please do not do this.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Exchipy
Originally Posted by Vek
I have a 4" tapered barrel version of the title coming, ...is there a preferred grip from hogue or pachmayr for a square butt k-frame? Or a target-type wood grip? I'm not a huge fan of the frame-size wood grips as I find them a big spindly. I also have no need to have a factory wood grip on there if aftermarket is cheap, shape-able and serviceable.
My geezerly hands no longer appreciate square butt K-Frame S&Ws. So, I used a bench grinder and mill file to turn ‘em into round butts and redid the back strap serrations with a checkering file:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Hogue K-Frame Bantam round butt grips completed the deal.

Those are wonderful if one has round butt frame. Another well designed products were Uncle Mike's rubber grips for either round butt or square butt K or L frames.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,412 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,653
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.