Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Who here has one? Is it the best idea going?

And what about the version with the magpul stock? Like? Dislike?
I kinda dig having extra mags on board, but the looks leave me a little cold.

I like the looks of the original 10-22,and the original takedown follows the same lines.

Is there a particular use for which the Takedown 10-22 is perfectly suited?

I kinda want one and am looking for excuses...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have one that the only thing original now is the receiver and bolt. I love the Magpul backpacker stock for the 3 magazine storage. It allows me to carry 4 mags, each with different types of ammo. I am putting together a 2nd one based on a Tac-Sol x-ring receiver and the Tac-Sol short barrel that allows the suppressor to screw in under the shield thing (forget what that barrel is called). I am putting it in the backpacker stock also. The 1st one will go back to stock receiver and barrel.

I use them mainly for pest control and armadillo hunting at night after legal deer light. Having the extra ammo on board is the difference between continuing to walk the fields or head back to the truck since I forgot the extra mags/ammo!

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have 2 of the take-downs, one standard and one with the MagPul. I do not like the look of the MagPul, but it does have advantages. All three of the 10-22s I have shoot about the same, each is fussy about ammo and all three have different tastes. None is good enough to wow, but too close to bother to go with a new barrel. Mine get shot by kids more than anything else and snowshoe hares hate them...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
As Art does, I have two, though both of mine are the standard stainless version. Have taken many (and varied) critters with them from coyote and fox to snowshoe hare, ptarmigan and grouse. Have been fortunate on what they like to shoot: Standard CCI mini mags and SGB CCI’s.

What sold me on the brake down model was it”s convenience to haul around as an accessory on big game hunts. They pack easy and quick, hold 300 rounds and 3 extra magazines, and are minute of bunny out to 50 yards every time. They are rugged as h-e-double hockey sticks.

I too like the looks and feel of the standard model and have three of them. I cannot tell the difference in shooting the standard or the standard breakdown. . .

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I have one, I added the magpul backpacker stock. Fixed leupold rimfire, of course I upgraded trigger and couple other parts. Sweet little gun. I just like 10/22s in general, didn't need much of an excuse. But when you find one lnib box and case for 250, you sort of have to buy it like i did.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by killerv; 11/01/22.
IC B2

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
As Art does, I have two, though both of mine are the standard stainless version. Have taken many (and varied) critters with them from coyote and fox to snowshoe hare, ptarmigan and grouse. Have been fortunate on what they like to shoot: Standard CCI mini mags and SGB CCI’s.

What sold me on the brake down model was it”s convenience to haul around as an accessory on big game hunts. They pack easy and quick, hold 300 rounds and 3 extra magazines, and are minute of bunny out to 50 yards every time. They are rugged as h-e-double hockey sticks.

I too like the looks and feel of the standard model and have three of them. I cannot tell the difference in shooting the standard or the standard breakdown. . .

300 rounds? Where?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've got 2 of them, 1 CM and 1 SS. They are okay and I'm sure that there is a place where they are more useful than a solid frame 10/22, but I haven't found that place. I bought them in 2019 'cause they seemed like a good deal and I struggle to resist a good deal. I swapped the stocks and forearms for the Copper Mica color plastic 'cause the stocks are the modular style that allows you 4 different combinations of LOP and comb height.

The excuse that I use when I want to buy something that is redundant or superfluous is "I want it".

Last edited by 260Remguy; 11/01/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one a takedown, but honestly prefer my standard 1970 era standard 10/22 better.

It's more accurate and I guess I am just more used to it.

I will probably sell the takedown when I finally remember where it's stored....

smile

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have the 10/22 Takedown with the Magpul stock. I bought it for what I believe to be the true idea behind the concept - I pack it away and carry it has my gut tells me. It resides in a bug-out bag of sorts. With 1 mag in the well and 3 in the stock of have 36 rounds ready to go (not sure why, but I load 9 rounds per mag for long term vs. 10). I have a 25 round mag in a pocket and a one of the bottle holders in my pack has a plastic jar with another brick of ammo in it. The rifle doesn't fit me absolutely perfectly, but it's not hideous either and it does it job.

The bag goes with me on every trip. If I have my camp trailer it usually stays in there in a cubby next to my first aid kit. If I'm on a jaunt just to hike or perhaps take pictures, it may be on my back. I topped it with a little red dot mostly to keep the size and weight down (plus I had one laying around), but also because I already have a scoped .22 when those occasions arise.

FYI - I'm a wood worker and I learned that if you take one of those little plastic jars that hold joining biscuits and empty it, it will easily hold 450 or more rounds of .22lr.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by bearhuntr

300 rounds? Where?
In the convenient carrying case, along with an SR 22, 3 extra magazines for both. Sorry, was not clear on that…but I knew what the heck I was talking about smile

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I own 5 different 10/22s to include a Stainless takedown with the Magpul Hunter stock (not backpacker) and honestly aside from the extra cost and the "wow" factor when showing off the takedown feature to friends; the takedown doesn't really do anything for me that a standard one doesn't already do. I never find myself in the woods with a gun in a bag in opposed to in my hands.

With that said, there are definitely instances where the takedown feature would shine. Some that come to mind would be a stoe away gun in a vehicle or camper. Bugout bags also come to mind. Or maybe you live in a neighborhood or apartment where walking to your vehicle with a dedicated gun case would draw the wrong kind of attention. So they have their place.

They have there place but for most people, myself included, one version (or 4) of the standard rifle would suffice.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same... President Ronald Reagan
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good perspective, SR22

I want (and now have ordered) this as a rifle I can have in my road trip bag to use for whatever porpoises arise on a road trip. I don't get many weekends off that don't include at least a one day road trip/exploration/kick around...

Took a 2 week road trip to southern Wyoming this past July and used my old deluxe 10-22. It was in a dark case within a dark vehicle interior, but I hate to walk away from a vehicle with gun cases visible to thieving eyes.

Ordered my new TD 10-22 yesterday from Gahm Enterprise, Pearl City Illinois. He's a good guy who stocks some stuff but a lot also comes from an online distributor or dealers org.
He said mine should be here in 5 business days or so. The distributor/org it's coming from had 37 of them before I ordered mine. First ones I've seen available for a while. Link below...

Gahm Ent. TD 10-22

"Chances Will Be Taken"

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Have two stainless with synthetic stocks, one is here now, and other is still coming from the auction.
I like them, also have two browning sa-22's one in long rifle had for over 40 years and a recent one from an auction in 22 short.
They are a nice handy rifle.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
If a guy wanted a red dot on the TD 10-22, would POI change when you re-assemble? Anyone tried it?

If a guy wanted to try it what is the smallest, lowest mounting, and best RDS to put on a 10-22?

Could you maybe mount up one of the pistol type sights?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Should have mentioned I also have four regular 10/22’s and a 3 77/22’s one in 22 lr, one in 22 mag and a 22 hornet.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have a Leupold 2-7 rimfire scope on my 10-22 Takedown. The scope is dismounted when the rifle goes in the case. I've been pleasantly surprised how close the POI is when the rifle is reassembled. Plenty good enough for 25 yard plinking.

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
eblake,

Good to know.
Tends to give me confidence in a red dot or a peep.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
bought one out in Texas last spring. When I got home, my lad borrowed it. I have not gotten it back yet. smile

Sam......

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My 10-22 TD arrived at the dealer this past Wednesday. Too busy working to pick it up. Maybe Monday afternoon

"Chances Will Be Taken"

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by johnw
If a guy wanted a red dot on the TD 10-22, would POI change when you re-assemble? Anyone tried it?

If a guy wanted to try it what is the smallest, lowest mounting, and best RDS to put on a 10-22?

Could you maybe mount up one of the pistol type sights?
Put the red dot on the barrel.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1936M71, 1234, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 58 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,986
Posts18,499,852
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.