Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I had to tranquilize a cow last week to extract a breeched calf. My neighbor whom I lease that pasture from helped me. I used a borrowed dart gun to shoot the tranquilizer dart. My neighbor offered to give me his Cap-Chur brand veterinary dart gun if I wanted to have it repaired. It is powered by CO2 cartridges and for some reason it loses all the charge when you pull the trigger but does not expel the dart. The Cap-Chur company told me to send it to them by UPS or Fed-Ex and they would be glad to fix it.

Well, today I went to our friendly local shipping store and they told me I could not ship it, that UPS does not allow guns. I explained to them that this was in no way a firearm, that it was used to administer veterinary medicine and for nothing else. They would not budge. I said, how about give me a box and the wrappings and I'll bring it back all packaged up so you don't know what is in it. They said "no way".

What is up with this? I've looked online and cannot find out one way or the other. It is a CO2 gun which I guess could hurt someone but it is not a firearm.

Last edited by Hastings; 11/01/22.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just mail it USPS Priority with no comment.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
None of their business what's in the package.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Did you bring the non firearm “gun” inside the store?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Yes, and the strange thing is that I went in first without it and told them I wasn't an armed robber but I would be coming back in with a dart gun and they said ok. I guess they discussed it while I was outside and made an executive decision.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Yes, and the strange thing is that I went in first without it and told them I wasn't an armed robber but I would be coming back in with a dart gun and they said ok. I guess they discussed it while I was outside and made an executive decision.

Unfortunately the world is a clown world. If you have to preface bringing that in first so they don’t think you’re a robber….there’s your sign. If you brought it in already boxed up and when they asked (if they asked) for a description you stated veterinary equipment then it would be well on its way back to your friend.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer to let them box up stuff and get like they like it. A few years ago I took a Remington 700 in the same place to send for inspection and repair and it was no problem. They boxed it up and sent it on its way. I never considered a CO2 dart gun would be a problem. Maybe they are democrats, the communist kind.

I may have the issue solved. The local vet supply store I do business with sells darts and guns and they said they would send it off.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Well, today I went to our friendly local shipping store....

Go to the nearest UPS hub. They are better informed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Put it in a box with a prepaid label and send it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I prefer to let them box up stuff and get like they like it. A few years ago I took a Remington 700 in the same place to send for inspection and repair and it was no problem. They boxed it up and sent it on its way. I never considered a CO2 dart gun would be a problem. Maybe they are democrats, the communist kind.

I may have the issue solved. The local vet supply store I do business with sells darts and guns and they said they would send it off.
Actually, they broke the law by shipping the 700.

They are not a "common carrier" and cannot ship guns.

I am assuming by "store" that it is not a UPS office.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife
Put it in a box with a prepaid label and send it.

Bingo!

It's pretty easy to box crap up so it doesn't get damage.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

A common carrier is a person or a commercial enterprise that transports passengers or goods for a fee and establishes that their service is open to the general public. UPS/FedEx/USPS certainly apply as common carriers under federal law. In fact UPS and FedEX are the 2 largest common carriers in the US.

Originally Posted by UPS
UPS Restricted Items
Certain items we list as prohibited will be accepted by UPS on a contractual basis for shippers with regular volume and the ability to comply with all applicable laws and regulations.The items we can carry under certain criteria are:

Alcoholic beverages (See guides for shipping beer, shipping wine and shipping spirits)
Animal products, non-domesticated (e.g., mother of pearl inlay, snakeskin watch bands)
Articles of high/unusual value
Ammunition (except as expressly provided in the "UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service - United States" beginning on page 136)
Biological substances, Category B and exempt human or animal specimens
Dangerous goods (UPS Guide for Transporting Hazardous Materials)
Firearms and weapons (including inert and replica explosive weapons)
Furs
Gold or other precious metals
Hemp and CBD
Live animals
Perishables
Personal effects
Plants and seeds require a UPS account
Tobacco

UPS Link

Originally Posted by NRA/ATF
The ATF says, regarding shipping firearms NOT through the United States Postal Service (USPS):

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. (There is literally no other kind of legal carrier for hire than contract/common - me)

In addition, federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm or ammunition, prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm and requires obtaining written acknowledgement of receipt.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a)(5), 922(e) and (f); 27 CFR 478.30 and 478.31]

ATF also states, regarding mailing firearms via USPS:

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another state. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of their own state or to a licensee in any state.

The U.S. Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A); 27 CFR 478.31]

Originally Posted by some more
The two largest US common carriers, United Parcel Service (UPS) and Federal Express (FedEx), recently decided they would no longer allow non-FFLs to use their service for lawfully shipping firearms.

The FedEx website states, under How to Ship Firearms:

Only customers holding a Federal Firearms License (FFL) and federal, state, or local government agencies may ship firearms with FedEx.

UPS, on the other hand, has taken a far more extreme approach to restricting the lawful shipping of items via its service. Under the heading How To Ship Firearms, UPS states:

Shipments containing Firearm Products are accepted for transportation only from shippers who are federally licensed and have an approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products.

Linky

Company policy may be prohibitive for the average Joe with UPS/FedEx but that's not the same as "illegal".

I moved, literally, truck loads of firearms as a "common carrier" back when Dick's still sold them.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think I have found a way to ship it. But I still doubt that a device using CO2 cartridges to deliver a dart syringe to an animal at fairly short range would fit the legal definition of a firearm.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It's best not to even tell them what's in the box. Several years ago I sold a scoped 223 bbl for an Encore to someone out of state. I boxed it up in a rifle box and covered the box with glue on white wall paper. Took it to the post office to ship it and a lady there said "that's not a rifle is it", I said nope. Made it to the buyer a few days later.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Teal

A common carrier is a person or a commercial enterprise that transports passengers or goods for a fee and establishes that their service is open to the general public. UPS/FedEx/USPS certainly apply as common carriers under federal law. In fact UPS and FedEX are the 2 largest common carriers in the US.

Originally Posted by UPS
UPS Restricted Items
Certain items we list as prohibited will be accepted by UPS on a contractual basis for shippers with regular volume and the ability to comply with all applicable laws and regulations.The items we can carry under certain criteria are:

Alcoholic beverages (See guides for shipping beer, shipping wine and shipping spirits)
Animal products, non-domesticated (e.g., mother of pearl inlay, snakeskin watch bands)
Articles of high/unusual value
Ammunition (except as expressly provided in the "UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service - United States" beginning on page 136)
Biological substances, Category B and exempt human or animal specimens
Dangerous goods (UPS Guide for Transporting Hazardous Materials)
Firearms and weapons (including inert and replica explosive weapons)
Furs
Gold or other precious metals
Hemp and CBD
Live animals
Perishables
Personal effects
Plants and seeds require a UPS account
Tobacco

UPS Link

Originally Posted by NRA/ATF
The ATF says, regarding shipping firearms NOT through the United States Postal Service (USPS):

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. (There is literally no other kind of legal carrier for hire than contract/common - me)

In addition, federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm or ammunition, prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm and requires obtaining written acknowledgement of receipt.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a)(5), 922(e) and (f); 27 CFR 478.30 and 478.31]

ATF also states, regarding mailing firearms via USPS:

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another state. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of their own state or to a licensee in any state.

The U.S. Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A); 27 CFR 478.31]

Originally Posted by some more
The two largest US common carriers, United Parcel Service (UPS) and Federal Express (FedEx), recently decided they would no longer allow non-FFLs to use their service for lawfully shipping firearms.

The FedEx website states, under How to Ship Firearms:

Only customers holding a Federal Firearms License (FFL) and federal, state, or local government agencies may ship firearms with FedEx.

UPS, on the other hand, has taken a far more extreme approach to restricting the lawful shipping of items via its service. Under the heading How To Ship Firearms, UPS states:

Shipments containing Firearm Products are accepted for transportation only from shippers who are federally licensed and have an approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products.

Linky

Company policy may be prohibitive for the average Joe with UPS/FedEx but that's not the same as "illegal".

I moved, literally, truck loads of firearms as a "common carrier" back when Dick's still sold them.
Two issues, first I assumed it was not a UPS office but rather a contracted "store" with multiple services. I didvthat because the OP called it that and because they are sketchy about gun shipping. I might be wrong making that assumption and posted so.

Second USPS is not a "common carrier."

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42
It's best not to even tell them what's in the box. Several years ago I sold a scoped 223 bbl for an Encore to someone out of state. I boxed it up in a rifle box and covered the box with glue on white wall paper. Took it to the post office to ship it and a lady there said "that's not a rifle is it", I said nope. Made it to the buyer a few days later.
A barrel is not a firearm. Only the action is. For example on an AR only the lower is considered such.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Two issues, first I assumed it was not a UPS office but rather a contracted "store" with multiple services. I didvthat because the OP called it that and because they are sketchy about gun shipping. I might be wrong making that assumption and posted so.

Second USPS is not a "common carrier."

Agreed - relooked at my old notes - USPS is not considered a common carrier.

Me

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I had a UPS go full retard over a take off barrel. Especially when I took it out of the packaging to show that it was just a metal cylinder. SIR!

Corporate policies...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ever considered taking it apart and having a look? Probably just a torn o-ring. Hell, there may even be a YouTube video of it.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith
Ever considered taking it apart and having a look? Probably just a torn o-ring. Hell, there may even be a YouTube video of it.
I considered that especially since the gun hasn't been used in quite a while but I feared getting it apart and not having the knowledge or skill to fix it. It holds the gas until you load it with a dart and try to shoot the dart. Then the gas completely audibly escapes without ejecting the dart.

When you need the dart gun which is seldom, you really need it. So I want it fixed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

355 members (17CalFan, 17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 1936M71, 37 invisible), 2,236 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,744
Posts18,495,151
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.