Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Have a quote for a new 15, 16 or 17 SEER American standard HP. Figure I'll go with the 16 SEER and new duct work replacing a 25 year old Goodman unit. It's a 2.5 ton downstairs unit. Already replaced upstairs with American Standard unit about four years ago. The quote left out the cartridge filter that would be in the crawl space. The guy that came out said those are better than using the more expensive indoor 3M filters I buy at Home Depot and need to be changed out about every six months. Before I call them back and get the quote updated do I really want that kind of filter? I'm good with changing out the filter downstairs three three-four times a year now. I think he said I should not use a high end filter if he installed the filter under the house as it would be too much restriction on air flow. I'm concerned about air quality as I get a touch of asthma from pollen and dust, but what I do now seems to be working fine. Also I figure the duct work is pretty nasty and new would be worth the extra $1,000.00

I also just read the freon this new unit would use is going to be phased out in coming years for an even newer version. Am I buying something I'll regret now? i already pay a fortune for the ancient freon i need for the Goodman unit it needs about once a year. Current unit is working but with parts and units in such short supply I think it's not a good idea to wait till it breaks as it could be weeks or months to replace and its years overdue.

also they put $100 bucks for a new thermostat and I see about ten models on the AS website. Any input on that would be helpful. I'd like one that would maintain temp on hot Fall day and then cool Fall night without getting up in the middle of the night to switch from AC to heat.

Last edited by dimecovers5; 11/02/22.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
dimecovers5: You need to hold off until Jan 1,2023. That is when some really nice federal tax credits are going to be available for purchases of heat pumps and other items.

These credits are part of the inflation reduction act. Do some research on this for qualified equipment and credit amounts before you make a purchase.

Good luck -tnscouter

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
dimecovers5: One more thought. I don't know where you live but many heat pumps are installed with a furnace because heat pumps only function down to certain temperatures depending on the unit. So if you have really cold winters keep that in mind. -tnscouter

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by tnscouter
dimecovers5: You need to hold off until Jan 1,2023. That is when some really nice federal tax credits are going to be available for purchases of heat pumps and other items.

These credits are part of the inflation reduction act. Do some research on this for qualified equipment and credit amounts before you make a purchase.

Good luck -tnscouter

dimecovers5: One more thought. I don't know where you live but many heat pumps are installed with a furnace because heat pumps only function down to certain temperatures depending on the unit. So if you have really cold winters keep that in mind. -tnscouter

Good intel...

Per Chris (my HVAC supply house friend)... 2022 units will NOT be permitted to be sold "until inventories are depleted... they must be scraped"... This is an unprecedented change from all former refrigerant changes... per .GOV.

I might have this wrong, but I think I understood Chris correctly... correction is welcome. HVAC is not my business.

As for filters... I have always been advised to run about the 2nd cheapest filter you can buy... BUT change every month.

I buy my filters online (a fraction of what they cost at Home Depot).

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
On the filter subject a company that makes and supplies furnace filters of all sizes is a longtime tenant of mine. The guy has told me cheaper filters changed monthly are the best way to go. Seems to work well for me, and after just a month they are certainly dirty, hence doing the job right.

I keep a long strip of masking tape and pen right there on the furnace to write the changes and keep track.

Hope this helps.
Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D

Good luck -tnscouter

I'm in central NC but it's rare to get really cold here. i imagine the tax credits will be for super hi seer units and not a 16? i've always been told the higher seer units are more prone to break being more complicated.

my filter question has to do with a filter they put in under the house and then you use cheap filters in the house. the guy acted like the one under the house is a better place for it and the results are better

Last edited by dimecovers5; 11/02/22.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
New refrigerant coming next year I'm told...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by okie
New refrigerant coming next year I'm told...

Yes, thanks to California. It was such a good idea for reducing Global Warming the dems incorporated the change in the federal legislation. R-454b will replace R-410a. Be prepared for hearing “you’ll need a new system” from unscrupulous technicians.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’m in northwest SC and my hvac guy won’t sell a unit under 16 seer.

I changed over from a heat pump back to gas early this year, the heat pump couldn’t hold the higher temp during the winter we liked (you know how old folks are). It won’t be next year, due to gas going up, but my bills were less.

My old one was 16 seer and the new one is 16 seer, I have a 91% efficiency furnace. I prefer that 140 degree heat, it runs less than the heat pump did.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Google HEEHRA it is the current rebate and tax incentive law coming into affect. If you are retired/ in a lower income bracket, you can get a large portion of your costs reimbursed.

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/09/0...iciency-electric-home-rebate-act-heehra/

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Anyone know when heat pumps with the new R-454b will be available?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (2003and2013, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 62 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,460
Posts18,489,808
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.