Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Straight beeswax cajoled with a hairdryer into a pair of Alico Guide mountain boots lasted four straight years of glacier sheep hunts. Rubber rands take a beating there...the rocks just slide over the wax.

There's a lot more oil and solvent in the normal treatments than meets the eye. Takes a lot to get beeswax to flow at finger rub temperature.

GB1

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Warm them up with a hair dryer and rub in mink oil!

The more I get to know people, the better I like dogs, life is short, eat dessert first.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Alaskan guide that I've used for 8 trips recommends a big jar of Vaseline - just for your boots. All else is way too expensive.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 10/31/22.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Alaskan guide that I've used for 8 trips recommends a big jar of Vaseline - just for your boots. All else is way too expensive.
Hint:
The Vaseline wasn't for your boots...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Vek
Straight beeswax cajoled with a hairdryer into a pair of Alico Guide mountain boots lasted four straight years of glacier sheep hunts. Rubber rands take a beating there...the rocks just slide over the wax.

There's a lot more oil and solvent in the normal treatments than meets the eye. Takes a lot to get beeswax to flow at finger rub temperature.
Exactly! And extremely easy to see when sitting on top of the mountain.

Impossible to get if you are Skane playing keyboard know-it-all.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
This is from Danner's website. Here's the link to their boot care FAQ's: DANNER Note that they say to avoid mink oil and beeswax on Gore-tex type liners.

How do I condition the leather on my boots?

To prevent irreparable damage such as flaked, cracked, or excessively dry leather, it is important to condition your boots regularly. If you're in and out of water or mud often, you'll want to condition more frequently (once or twice a month). Do not let your boots sit for periods of time with mud, concrete powder, wood pulp/dust, fuel, or mechanical oils on them. These substances are notorious for their ability to dry, harden, and cause lasting damage to leather.

Conditioning any boot will darken the color of the leather, so first test on a small section hidden away to ensure you're okay with the end result. You can condition nubuck, suede, and rough-out leathers with a standard leather conditioner, but it will discolor the boot even more than full-grain leathers. Additionally, nubuck, suede, and rough-out leathers aren't as susceptible to cracking as smooth, top-side leather is. We recommend using our Suede and Nubuck Waterproofing Conditioner spray, specially formulated for these types of leathers, to minimize a change in look of the leather.

If your boot is lined with a waterproof membrane (has either a GORE-TEX or Danner Dry waterproof liner) we recommend using a conditioner that's water or silicone-based (check the label to ensure it's one of the first ingredients) to maintain the breathability of the boot. Try to avoid animal-based products like beeswax and mink oil. Our Danner Boot Dressing offers three benefits: it conditions, waterproofs, and adds a little shine back into the leather. The dressing is offered in three different colors: black for black boots, brown for dark brown boots, and clear for all other colors. If you're looking for a more natural finish without influencing the color of your boots, it is recommended that you use the clear boot dressing.
To apply conditioner to your boots, you’ll first want to take the laces out and make sure the boots are dry and clear of any dust, dirt, and debris. Take a clean, dry rag and work an even coat of dressing over the entire leather portion of your boot. You will only need to use a small amount. You can use a cotton swab or soft bristled toothbrush to get to the hard-to-reach spots between stitching and hardware. Once you cover the entire boot, let the boot rest overnight or until completely dry, wiping off any excess conditioner that didn't absorb.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I keep adding coats of Obenaufs until the leather won’t absorb anymore, and it does build up to a surface layer.
Same here. Then an annual retreatment. Has always worked great. It works well on horse tack and other leather items.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
This is from Danner's website. Here's the link to their boot care FAQ's: DANNER Note that they say to avoid mink oil and beeswax on Gore-tex type liners.

To prevent irreparable damage such as flaked, cracked, or excessively dry leather, it is important to condition your boots regularly. If you're in and out of water or mud often, you'll want to condition more frequently (once or twice a month). Do not let your boots sit for periods of time with mud, concrete powder, wood pulp/dust, fuel, or mechanical oils on them. These substances are notorious for their ability to dry, harden, and cause lasting damage to leather.

Conditioning any boot will darken the color of the leather, so first test on a small section hidden away to ensure you're okay with the end result. You can condition nubuck, suede, and rough-out leathers with a standard leather conditioner, but it will discolor the boot even more than full-grain leathers. Additionally, nubuck, suede, and rough-out leathers aren't as susceptible to cracking as smooth, top-side leather is. We recommend using our Suede and Nubuck Waterproofing Conditioner spray, specially formulated for these types of leathers, to minimize a change in look of the leather.

If your boot is lined with a waterproof membrane (has either a GORE-TEX or Danner Dry waterproof liner) we recommend using a conditioner that's water or silicone-based (check the label to ensure it's one of the first ingredients) to maintain the breathability of the boot. Try to avoid animal-based products like beeswax and mink oil. Our Danner Boot Dressing offers three benefits: it conditions, waterproofs, and adds a little shine back into the leather. The dressing is offered in three different colors: black for black boots, brown for dark brown boots, and clear for all other colors. If you're looking for a more natural finish without influencing the color of your boots, it is recommended that you use the clear boot dressing.
To apply conditioner to your boots, you’ll first want to take the laces out and make sure the boots are dry and clear of any dust, dirt, and debris. Take a clean, dry rag and work an even coat of dressing over the entire leather portion of your boot. You will only need to use a small amount. You can use a cotton swab or soft bristled toothbrush to get to the hard-to-reach spots between stitching and hardware. Once you cover the entire boot, let the boot rest overnight or until completely dry, wiping off any excess conditioner that didn't absorb.

For many years Danners were and remain my favorite boot. For over 30 years beeswax has been the only thing I have used on them. They now last virtually forever, maybe Danner has an ulterior motive?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

For many years Danners were and remain my favorite boot. For over 30 years beeswax has been the only thing I have used on them. They now last virtually forever, maybe Danner has an ulterior motive?

I’m convinced to try pure beeswax on my boots now. Is there a problem if they’ve already been treated with Obenaufs or similar?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There is a problem applying beeswax over Obenauf's. Because there is a bunch of solvents in there which will wick to the surface when you heat the leather. The beeswax will not soak in as well and it will be contaminated by the solvents. The treatments will not be as effective in the early going and will probably require coats sooner than if starting with fresh leather. But it will eventually get the junk out.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Obenaufs LP contains no solvents. At least according to them, or the MSDS.

Last edited by Wrongside; 11/02/22.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
There is a problem applying beeswax over Obenauf's. Because there is a bunch of solvents in there which will wick to the surface when you heat the leather. The beeswax will not soak in as well and it will be contaminated by the solvents. The treatments will not be as effective in the early going and will probably require coats sooner than if starting with fresh leather. But it will eventually get the junk out.

Alright I’ll give it a try next time I treat boots. Looks like you, Okanagan and BC30cal all have positive experiences with it. Thanks.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Snow seal on any leather. Silicone spray on nylon, although it doesn't adhere well for me on any boots.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mod7rem

Alright I’ll give it a try next time I treat boots. Looks like you, Okanagan and BC30cal all have positive experiences with it. Thanks.
CWH2 is a mighty serious animal... he has also seen the light.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Wrongside
Obenaufs LP contains no solvents. At least according to them, or the MSDS.
Funny, the MSDS calls all of that info proprietary. Here is a clip from wiki:

A solvent (s) (from the Latin solvō, "loosen, untie, solve") is a substance that dissolves a solute, resulting in a solution. A solvent is usually a liquid but can also be a solid, a gas, or a supercritical fluid. Water is a solvent for polar molecules and the most common solvent used by living things; all the ions and proteins in a cell are dissolved in water within the cell.

Now tell me again how you arrived at the notion there are no solvents there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cwh2
In my horrible opinion....

Beeswax smokes everything by a lot.

Liquid beeswax is impressively flammable.

I can ruin good boots quickly with a heat gun.

Obenaufs is pretty good stuff if you don't mind reapplying often. For many folks, sheep season is 10 days max per year and then they switch to other boots. So basically they grease boots annually and that's fine. I have used Obenaufs quite a bit and mostly like it. I really like that it isn't a half day project with a 40% chance of house fire to apply.

Some folks have run boots way harder than that. It's a different discussion than work boots. It pays to listen to those folks, but in life learning is optional.

If you want to be right 93% of the time, watch where the sherrif goes and set your course 180 degrees from that.

Rubber rands often take the abuse that wax once was prized for.

Sno seal darkens leather and keeps it from drying out, but otherwise has little effect. Even in that very limited application, I'd rather have straight bear grease.

It takes a pretty warm day to break in waxed boots. You don't want to be breaking them in on a hunt.

The synthetics can be excellent or horrible. I dont trust nikwax much on leather, but I like their products in general.

Waxed gloves are great in theory, but they are so stiff they are generally useless in reality.

I usually just use a hair dryer to warm the boot and melt the wax. It takes longer but the house does not burn down. When melting wax I use a very small crackpot to melt the wax. No open flame and after I am done I add mineral oil to the wax to make cutting board finish. This makes cleanup easy on the little crockpot.

Waxed leather gloves are fantastic if you break them in during summer.

Sitka deer;
Top of the morning to you my cyber friend, I trust you and your fine family are well.

Thanks for the chuckle this morning, albeit at a serious topic and thanks to you and cwh2 for emphasizing how flammable liquid beeswax is.

When I mentioned that it was "really and truly flammable" Sitka - that's what I was attempting to articulate as well.... grin

Honestly as well, when I said to Jordan it should be done somewhere besides the kitchen stove, I should have been more specific and said, unless one is a bachelor/sole occupant and/or user of said kitchen then it should be done elsewhere. It seems to get everywhere and doesn't clean up easily.

I'm sure you and others find that it's tough to get meaningful gifts for your adult kids sometimes - well often in our case Sitka. Anyways for her birthday this year we went along with and footed the bill for - see what I did there - some new hiking/hunting boots. I want to say they're Scarpa? We were impressed with the way the lady who was helping her make the decision was both knowledgeable and helpful.

When we were settling up at the counter, she asked our daughter what she usually used for waterproofing leather boots? Our daughter looked back at me and said something to the effect of, "He usually likes pure beeswax but what do you recommend?"

The lady, who by the way had a bit of a hint of Britain in her accent replied, "Nothing better love, nothing better". wink

Oh, that and we've already been informed by my good wife/her Mother that we'll be waterproofing her boots "anywhere other than the kitchen!" laugh

Before leaving the topic I'd add that I've had the pleasure of having Okanagan visit our place a couple times and I'd opine about him in a similar manner that you mentioned cwh2 is "a mighty serious animal". wink

For clarity to those who don't understand Canuck jargon Sitka, I mean that in the most sincere form of compliment towards Okanagan. He certainly was when he visited here anyways Sitka and I just shook my head at some of the places he'd been.

Anyways Sitka I hope that if you all have more hunts this fall that they're productive or at least filled with grand adventure.

All the best to you all.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 11/03/22.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dwayne is a gracious gentleman. Thank you.

I just logged in to comment that I had no idea HOW flammable beeswax is. Thanks for that info. I will be more careful, though I’ve never seen any burn. Will have to light some off now as an experiment. Sounds like we should avoid microwave.

A few times I’ve used a homemade mini-double boiler: a big pot of hot water with high sides above water level and a hand held long handled small inner pot of beeswax. I barely melt the wax, not getting it very hot, so always need a hair dryer. I’m overly cautious not to get boot leather too hot. The pots are thrift store, used only for beeswax and stored with my block of wax and brushes.

More often I’ve warmed boots and wax in sunlight through a window, rubbed on the wax, then finished the process with a hair dryer and toothbrush. I think now I will avoid the stove altogether. Allowing boots to warm slowly while doing other things, it doesn't take much more time than it does to apply any boot waterproofing. About once a year I remove laces, thoroughly clean boots, and wax them as part of my end of hunting season putting away of gear. Or as a geriatric procrastinator, maybe every two years. smile

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Several posters suggested that the OP contact Danner to find out their recommendations. This is what they recommend. I don't know about any motive.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I thought I was the only one who had horrible results with Ubenoff’s. I’d coat the boots incredibly liberally and get maybe a half days hunt before they were waterlogged and soaked through.

I’ve had really good luck with sno seal in the past.
Last season I began using Montana Pitch Blend because it was recommended by Schnee’s and I loved it.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,231 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,259
Posts18,486,403
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.