Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Somehow with all the revolvers I have been accumulating I find myself without a .45 1911. I need to rectify the situation and knock one off the bucket list at the same time. I have always wanted an Ed Brown Kobra Carry since I saw the first one in a magazine way back when. It was tops on the list until I ran across the Executive Carry. I am assuming that the difference between them is the checkering on the Executive and the Kobra having the “scale like” treatment. Anyone own one or both? Good and bad? Is it a big enough step above a Dan Wesson to justify the price?

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've always like the Kobra Carry and the Special Forces from EB. KC would be my choice if buying - I think.

I'm betting most will also say - the Wesson is just as good, no need to spend the extra money.

Myself - at that range, I think I'd be tracing down a Volkmann. I like the top one - available.

Me

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Finding someone with both is going to be hard. I've had a Kobra Carry for over 20 years. It's my daily carry gun. Shoots great.

I don't know if Ed is still alive or active, but he was less than friendly on the two or three times I've had to deal with him. The gun was problematic when I first bought it. He insisted I was limp wristing it, despite the fact that I had several other non-custom 1911s that functioned flawlessly in my hands. Turned out the extractor was either defective or poorly tuned from his shop, because during the period of time when I was trying to get him to fix it (he essentially refused to do anything to it), the extractor hook sheered off during a shooting session at the range. Rather than dealing with that grumpy guy again, I just bought a new extractor, tuned it myself, installed it, and it's been 100% reliable since, i.e., over the past twenty plus years. I guess I'm better at tuning extractors than whoever tuned the original at the Ed Brown shop.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I have a stainless Exec. Carry. Really like the 25 lpi checkering. Accurate and beautiful. Brown’s bead blasted stainless finish is nice. Haven’t tried a Kobra Carry. Can’t go wrong with either.

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Well I just put a brand spanking new Kobra Carry on layaway

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, you've already made your choice, so commenting is kind of a moot point, but I'll do it anyway.

At the level of product your at, they are all good guns & it just boils down to pretty much personal preference.

You really can't go wrong with an EB product & they are nicely done pieces; but for my taste, EB is not in the top 5............can't really put my finger on it, but they just don't have the curb appeal as others.

On the higher end side, I have a couple of Wilson's, a Christensen custom, & Dan Wesson Guardian amongst more than a dozen 1911's including a Colt NM.

I was somewhat enamored with the round butt style & have 3 of them, but after carrying them, there's really no advantage from a carry / printing standpoint & I still kinda prefer the classic grip look.

But I do have to say that all 3 of the round butt guns are my favorite EDC's, not necessarily because of the round butt itself, but more because of the feel & balance of the gun.............all are alloy frames, with one being titanium & the weight of the alloy frames does make a difference in all day comfort..........if you actually plan to carry your new gun.

If I were to want to buy a new(er) gun in that class for all day carry, it would likely be a Wilson X-Tac Compact with a alloy frame & Wilson (small) round butt design.

Good luck with your new acquisition, & be sure to give Appendix IWB carry a shot.............the 4.25" barrel works well that way but 5" is too long.

Cascadia Concealment make a good AIWB for a 1911, but only for a 5" gun, but he will shorten it for you to fit your gun & then you can fine tune & round the bottom a bit to suit you after you get it............I assure you that if you can make yourself give AIWB a genuine trial, it will be all you will want, assuming that any kind of IWB fits your attire for daily or regular use.

Cascadia AIWB

MM

Last edited by MontanaMan; 11/02/22.
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I figure after it is broken in I will rotate my edc between it and my Wilson Combat EDC-X9

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I got the cheap Tisas knock-off of the Kobra Carry the other day. It shoots great, but it's a little harder to hang onto than a "regular" 1911 grip. It's a lot more comfortable to carry, though. Mine needs an extractor tune, as it's bouncing cases off my noggin fairly regularly, but it works like a champ. Pretty good little pistol for $580+tax. It lacks the niceties of other bobtails like checkered frontstraps, but it carries nicely and there are no sharp edges to poke my ribs.

Those bobtailed frames are the real deal.

https://centerfiresystems.com/product/sds-imports-1911-carry-b9ba-4.25-barrel-9mm#product_detail 9mm

https://centerfiresystems.com/product/sds-imports-1911-carry-b45b-4.25-barrel-.45acp#product_detail .45

Last edited by ratsmacker; 11/03/22.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I only have one Ed Brown. I don't shoot it too often but it does shoot well. I usually just grab a Colt to carry though if I'm 1911'ing.

They come with a free purse wink

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by LeakyWaders
I only have one Ed Brown. I don't shoot it too often but it does shoot well. I usually just grab a Colt to carry though if I'm 1911'ing.

They come with a free purse wink

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
I've got the same exact purse. Looks like they haven't changed them in over 20 years.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's mine.

Attached Images
20160521_165502_zpsdlblpakc.jpg (78.13 KB, 215 downloads)

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I remember Ed used to sell a binder of info on how to run and maintain/service a 1911. Did any of you buy that reference? Was it worth it for the info? Or do you have a better written document that covers the 1911 and it’s requirements for optimum operation?

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had a CD Rom with it. Was good from what I remember. Long since lost.

Ed still offers it as a download.

here

Me

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Ed got pissed off at me over the phone when I told him that I had been taking my Kobra Carry down (field stripping it) according to the normal GI method, i.e., first press down on the plunger and turn the bushing to release the spring tension, then remove the bushing and the plunger, then position the slide and remove the slide stop, etc.. He wanted me to first position the slide, then remove the slide stop, then (only after the slide is removed) turn the bushing, etc., and reassemble in reverse order.

Seemed an odd and needlessly bothersome way to do it, and I never adopted his method.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The method you described that Ed Brown recommends seems to be the same one most custom gunsmiths favor. I have used that method for several years now and have come to prefer it.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MOGC
The method you described that Ed Brown recommends seems to be the same one most custom gunsmiths favor. I have used that method for several years now and have come to prefer it.
What's the advantage?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the EC. Very nice finish and easy to carry.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
What's the advantage?

For me it is easy and fast. More like taking down a modern semi auto with a take down lever. On the 1911 just locate the slide to the proper position, pop the slide lock out and slide the upper receiver group off. Just remember to grab the recoil spring and guide rod there at the back of the barrel lugs in your grip as you separate the receiver and frame or else spring pressure will cause the spring and rod to want to launch rearward on you as soon as it clears. Once apart then everything is just laying there to pull apart easy peasy.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's the advantage?

I would guess it has to do with turning the bushing under spring pressure.
Wear maybe?

If there are inconsistencies across the radius(there always will be)
The highs could wear down and loosen it.
Picking pretty small nits though.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
What's the advantage?

I would guess it has to do with turning the bushing under spring pressure.
Wear maybe?

If there are inconsistencies across the radius(there always will be)
The highs could wear down and loosen it.
Picking pretty small nits though.

That is it from the gunsmith/builder perspective. To better preserve the bushing/barrel fit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

208 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 160user, 2UP, 264mag, 338rcm, 24 invisible), 1,641 guests, and 1,061 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,972
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.