Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I have acquired a like new 1978 red pad tropical 375. Seems the only scope I can expect sufficient eye relief is a LPV or an IER.
As much as Idont want to seems I need to either cut the stock back an inch or give up and sell it. I can't make use of the irons as a hunting rifle how I hunt and I need 4"+ eye relief in a thin shirt much less winter coat.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Put a #3 stock on it and try it, don't cut a tropical.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have a No.1B I put Burris to Ruger scope bases on mine, can move the scope further back about 1/2". Will have to use Burris rings

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some say the old Leupold long-tube 4x works well.

Bruce

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by ringworm
I have acquired a like new 1978 red pad tropical 375. Seems the only scope I can expect sufficient eye relief is a LPV or an IER.
As much as Idont want to seems I need to either cut the stock back an inch or give up and sell it. I can't make use of the irons as a hunting rifle how I hunt and I need 4"+ eye relief in a thin shirt much less winter coat.

What kind of magnification are you looking for? What kind of hunting are you doing with the rifle?

A decade ago, I didn't need quite as much eye relief and could mount most scopes on a #1 without an offset rear...but something has changed as I have gotten older and the higher eye relief scopes and / or the use of offset rings seems to be easier for me now. If you want to use low rings, there are no factory options for an offset ring.

One scope that I think works really well for the #1 is a Leupold 6x42mm. It has about 4.5" of eye relief and gives a lot of folks plenty of room...and usually can do it without the use of an offset rear ring.

The Leupold 2.5-8x36mm is another one I would suggest. Mine is the VX-III variety so I am not sure how much they've changed with the last few generational upgrades. I have used it in low (#3) rings on a couple of rifles...LOTS of eye relief on the lower end, but once you turn it up to 7x or 8x, I start to cheek crawl a little. These days, I would mount it with medium (#4) rings with the rear ring as an offset.

I have also used a Leupold 4-12x50mm on a couple of #1's and it worked fine. Again, I think an offset rear ring helps with this scope.

I have also mounted two Swaro Z6 scopes to Ruger #1's. Being 30mm, there is no option for an offset ring, so I was concerned about the stated eye relief of 3.75". The two I messed with (1.7-10x42mm and 2-12x50mm) each had enough tube length that I was able to get a very comfortable cheek weld without stock crawling.

Those are a few of my experiences and suggestions...give us some more info and we may be able to narrow down a better solution.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
The Leupold 2.5-8x36mm is another one I would suggest. Mine is the VX-III variety so I am not sure how much they've changed with the last few generational upgrades. I have used it in low (#3) rings on a couple of rifles...LOTS of eye relief on the lower end, but once you turn it up to 7x or 8x, I start to cheek crawl a little. These days, I would mount it with medium (#4) rings with the rear ring as an offset.

1.5-4x20mm in Ruger low rings on my 400 Jeff.

Tho' being a .375, you'd probably be better served with the 2.5-8x36mm.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 1.5-4x20mm Leupold in Ruger low rings on my 45-70.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Decided on ruger extension rings and 2.5-8 vx3i

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Extension rings are a must for me with No. 1's. I use LPV's with a rear extension ring on all of mine. This is my 1H in 375:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You may need extension rings front and rear with the 2.5-8x, but that should work for you.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
An older Burris with forward controls works pretty good.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
A Meopta made Zeiss Conquest MC scope will mount without extension rings and have more than enough eye relief on a No.1 for anybody built to non-sideshow dimensions. For a .375 Tropical I would look for a 1.8-5.5x38mm or 2.5-8x32mm. They have a ton of eye relief that is nearly constant thru the power range. I want to say it’s 4” but it may be slightly more. Just as important for No.1 usage the have a rather long tube length. It might be hard to track one of those two down but the 3-9x40mm work just as well, have the same eye relief, generous tube length and are easy enough to find. I wouldn’t sneeze at the 4x32mm if you come upon one. I’ve one on a 45/70 and it’s quite a handy rig in the field.
Unless you require a 12” length of pull on a bolt action you will be perfectly served with a Conquest MC on a No.1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
ElPaso made Weavers are long enuf, also Unertl Falcon or Hawk.

More than 4X on a 375 is ?able.

No extension rings needed.

https://ssaagunsales.com/listing/25155

"A man has come to terms with life when he is willing to plant trees under whose shade he will never sit."
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Going thru this on my 1b...I finally ordered a Leupold VX-3HD for it 3.5-10x40

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JGray
Extension rings are a must for me with No. 1's. I use LPV's with a rear extension ring on all of mine. This is my 1H in 375:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You may need extension rings front and rear with the 2.5-8x, but that should work for you.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A Leupold Vari-X IIc 2-7x33 in Ruger extension rings works pretty well in conjunction with a Marble Arms 69W windage adjustable folding rear sight. Objective bell clearance above the folded sight is maybe a bit less than the cylinder gap of a good S&W revolver, just a few thousandths - but it’s enough:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Eye relief is sufficient at 2x, but starts to require increased stock crawling as power is dialed up.

Every day’s an adventure.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With a standard eye relief scope I need the eye piece over the safety slide. My five No. 1s all have older Burris scopes.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by ringworm
On my #1s chambered for big game cartridges, my favorite scope was a Leupold M8-6x36mm mounted in two Ruger med. height extension rings. Also, to gain just a little more clearance under the front objective bell, I knocked out the rear OEM iron sight and reinstalled it backwards. I was then able to obtain proper eye relief even when wearing heavy hunting coats.

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Leupold fx3 6x42 has 4” of eye relief.

“Lighten up Francis”
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Part of the problem is most newer scopes have shorter length tubes. It's been a while since I even shot any of my Number Ones. I think the last time was in 2008. I started doing a private ranch elk hunt and the ranch owner and outfitter both would not let me use my single shot rifles. You'd think that after six hunts with six one shot kills they's have backed off a bit but no, they remain firm. THen for various health reason I haven't shot anything, not eve a .22 LR but I'm going to start up again as soon as it warms up a bit. Like someone said, what changed? I had no problem with eye relief back in 2008 and range sessions with the Number Ones was no problem. Now? My damn neck just ain't long enough. Gonna run a small fortune to get enough extended ring sets for 21 Ruger Number ones, then go through sighting then all in again. Actually, make that 19 as I'm not scoping the .404 Jeffery and .416 Rigby. I always considered them more suitable for shooting something the size of a Sherman tank at 50 yards or less.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Part of the problem is most newer scopes have shorter length tubes. It's been a while since I even shot any of my Number Ones. I think the last time was in 2008. I started doing a private ranch elk hunt and the ranch owner and outfitter both would not let me use my single shot rifles. You'd think that after six hunts with six one shot kills they's have backed off a bit but no, they remain firm. THen for various health reason I haven't shot anything, not eve a .22 LR but I'm going to start up again as soon as it warms up a bit. Like someone said, what changed? I had no problem with eye relief back in 2008 and range sessions with the Number Ones was no problem. Now? My damn neck just ain't long enough. Gonna run a small fortune to get enough extended ring sets for 21 Ruger Number ones, then go through sighting then all in again. Actually, make that 19 as I'm not scoping the .404 Jeffery and .416 Rigby. I always considered them more suitable for shooting something the size of a Sherman tank at 50 yards or less.
PJ

I bought a vx-3HD 3.5-10x40 this week and it fits my number 1B perfectly. It came with a Gloss Vari-x II that I sold Gunner and this scope fits just as well. I can use the standard rings where the turret is real close to the rear ring or reversible rear ring and it fits perfectly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

285 members (222ND, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 23 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,828
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.