Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So I rescued a male and female pair, 50/50 Border Collie and Heeler.
They are smart dogs, and at six months they bounce off the walls.
We opted for the pair so they would run each other to death, and that is paying off, they play a lot, play rough.

The rescue lady said she didn’t agree with the practice of isolating them until all their parvo shots were completed, my vet sort of insisted on it.
Well now they have completed the shots, and I started taking them out in public, walking them downtown and trying to take them to dog parks to get them socialized.

At first they growled at everything and everybody, the male who is the smarter of the two is coming around to people, the female is still growling a lot more.

Other dogs? Forget about it, they want to fight will all dogs they come across. I don’t dare take them off the leash at the dog park.
The male right now is about 28 lbs and went after a 100 pound lab that towered over him, but tried a little too hard to play with him. Luckily I didn’t get bit by the lab when I pulled them apart!

I think I’m making progress with people, but other dogs I’m getting nowhere. I know cattle dogs can be chippy, but is there any advice how to get them more acceptable if being around other dogs?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Let them off the leash and if they attack another dog, beat the ever loving fugk out of them. They will learn quickly.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yep. Pretty much what Paul said......

or get rid of them NOW. No sense letting the inevitable happen.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or when they attack the right dog and hang out of his mouth like dental floss

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Border Collie/Heeler mix sounds like a dog that would do best out on a farm working animals....not a pet at a park.

Just me.

Good luck!

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shock collars work.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Barkoff
So I rescued a male and female pair, 50/50 Border Collie and Heeler.
They are smart dogs, and at six months they bounce off the walls.
We opted for the pair so they would run each other to death, and that is paying off, they play a lot, play rough.

The rescue lady said she didn’t agree with the practice of isolating them until all their parvo shots were completed, my vet sort of insisted on it.
Well now they have completed the shots, and I started taking them out in public, walking them downtown and trying to take them to dog parks to get them socialized.

At first they growled at everything and everybody, the male who is the smarter of the two is coming around to people, the female is still growling a lot more.

Other dogs? Forget about it, they want to fight will all dogs they come across. I don’t dare take them off the leash at the dog park.
The male right now is about 28 lbs and went after a 100 pound lab that towered over him, but tried a little too hard to play with him. Luckily I didn’t get bit by the lab when I pulled them apart!

I think I’m making progress with people, but other dogs I’m getting nowhere. I know cattle dogs can be chippy, but is there any advice how to get them more acceptable if being around other dogs?

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mistake getting two at once, they cue off each other as much as they do off o you. Dogs learn from other dogs by example, they are reinforcing each other’s bad behavior.

Take ‘em out only one at a time, don’t tolerate anything you wouldn’t tolerate in your kids. Strong check every time, grab em by the scruff of the neck, strong no. When they submit they got the message. Repeat as necessary. Gonna take a lot of repeating the first few times.

When they can behave, try bringing them both.

BTW I’ve had three heelers, none of them had any use for dog parks, or much use for strangers. They need a job, mine’s jobs were running at heel next to my bicycle or fetching a ball.

Here’s the last one I had (w/grandchild), off the leash, sitting at heel just as hard as she could, the same way heelers do everything.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I forgot to make fun of the word "rescue." LOLOLOLOL

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Pretty much any problems associated with dogs stems from the fact that they're not a Labrador.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I forgot to make fun of the word "rescue." LOLOLOLOL

Nowhere near as funny as “rescue lady.”

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
A good shock collar

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
PM sent...

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Old obedient trained dog and young untrained dog...good. Two untrained dogs...bad. Young ones developing pack behavior and you are not enforcing yourself as undisputed pack leader. The other thing no one wants to admit...most larger breeds were purposed for specific work...if they don't have a job, they will act like any chronically unemployed human...trouble. You are trying turn hundreds of generations of selective trait breeding into lovable little fuzzies. Good luck. Horses and dogs need jobs.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Pretty much any problems associated with dogs stems from the fact that they're not a Labrador.
I think I’m going to steal that one.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Take ‘em out only one at a time, don’t tolerate anything you wouldn’t tolerate in your kids. Strong check every time, grab em by the scruff of the neck, strong no. When they submit they got the message. Repeat as necessary. Gonna take a lot of repeating the first few times.

I'd agree, one at a time when mixing with other dogs or people until they figure out what expected of them in social situations.

They're pretty smart and learn quickly.

My Border Collie will not let a strange dog get between me and him. He'll bite straight away if they try.

His aggressive behavior with complete strangers (people) is all show but pretty spooky for the stranger.

I don't allow any of his aggression to pass without strongly showing my disapproval. Once passed the learning stage he stands down instantly with voice command.

Quite a few people bring their dogs to my place to workout with my Border Collie, he does great with other dogs these days but that behavior didn't come by chance.

As mentioned, dogs bred for the specific purpose of working livestock require a lot more time daily to exercise or burn off steam than most are willing to deal with.
I put in a minumum of 5 to 6 hours every day working this dog.

If ya don't there's little chance of success.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Shock collars work.

No doubt, I’ve never used them but any negative feedback is good.

The the temptation would be to get pi$$ed at the dog and light it up in revenge, same thing as actually beating your dog. Continuing the check after they have already ceased is pointless, and means to the dog you just went crazy is all. They will accept the beating because what the alpha says goes, but they will get to being scared of you.

‘Nother thing I see is friggin’ dog harnesses, universal among the rescue dog crowd, like collars are supposed to be cruel or something.

All a harness does is reduce your physical communication with the dog and rewards the dog for pulling ie ignoring what you want it to do.

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 11/05/22.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jwp475
A good shock collar

I was gonna say a load of #4s.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Tri-Tronics collar set to "medium-rare". Anytime one gets aggressive toward a person or another dog, give it a good zap an an energetic "NO!" command. Pretty soon, the shock won't be needed. Most good quality training systems have multiple channels so a signal can be dedicated to a single collar.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
‘Nother thing I see is friggin’ dog harnesses, universal among the rescue dog crowd, like collars are supposed to be cruel or something.
All a harness does is reduce your physical communication with the dog and rewards the dog for pulling ie ignoring what you want it to do.

Harnesses are great for training them to pull.

I've found the chokers and other variations of training collars seldom need to be used to choke or restrain, just the fact they are wearing them has 99% of the nessasary effect once the dog understands how they work.

The biggest part of training a dog is having the time to do it and being consistent, if you don't have the time pay someone that does.

Otherwise you just end up with a POS for a dog because they have no idea what's expected of them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (219 Wasp, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 160user, 1minute, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,341
Posts18,487,734
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.