-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I know I've seen some posts here but did a search and couldn't find anything. I've been doing some research and have noticed models from $60-$400. I've seen alot of good things about Peltor (Tac 6 and TacSport)and Harold Leight Impact Sport for under a $100. The Pro Ears are supposed to be ok for the money and I haven't heard too much positive on the Radiens and Walkers muffs. I want the muffs for convenience and expense. Is it important to have muffs w/suppresion technology instead of clipping? Pros and Cons? What's the best buy for the money? It seems most think the less expensive Peltors perform as well or better than the more expensive brands. Opinions would be most appreciated!!

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Of the brands I've tested (most of them) I have to say that the Peltors were about the best. They have a compression circuit, although it isn't a very high fidelity one, so it beats the cheaper clipping circuits handily. (Clipping circuits are the ones that turn completely off for a half-second or so. Some/most people find them distracting or disorienting and always annoying.)

Note that the tradeoff with muffs is the comfort issue. They can cause pain if they press on eyeglass temples, are difficult or impossible to use with a hat, and knock against gun stocks. They almost always have a significant "seashell effect" as well as wind noise due to the exposed microphones. They also do not provide optimum sound suppression due to irregular or poor fit against the head, especially if glasses are worn.

For the money, however, they are at least adequate and certainly better than no protection at all - or constantly wearing plugs or non-amplified muffs.

For about the same money, you could get custom plugs with Hocks filters. Such plugs allow near-normal hearing (without amplification) but still reduce gunshots down to safe levels. Note that filtered plugs are not at all the same as "valved" plugs which offer no protection whatever.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I know you asked about Muffs,but I use the Walkers Game Ears II.They are not as noisey as the Muffs(Muffs get a lot of wind noise) and what the previous poster said about the Muffs is that they hit the Gun.I think it was one of my wiser investments to try and save what hearing I have left!!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yup, the Walker Game Ear (or the original EAR model which Mr Walker copied) are good units. I didn't bring them up because the OP stated a limit of $100 and most behind-the-ear units start at about $165 per ear.

Kudos on protecting what you have left, my friend.

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used a set of Peltor electronic muffs for years now, and this year the left side stopped working. However, I can't complain since it has been very reliable even after getting a little rain on it. The Peltor ear muffs are narrow enough not to interfere with shooting. Mine never touches my rifle's stock unless I lean my head on it.

I would not like to wear muffs over my ears in hot weather, but that's not a problem where I hunt in Alaska. I wear synthetic hats or stocking caps over my head, and the ear muffs fit right over these without any problem. However, the muffs are always turned off; I only turn them ON before I fire my gun.

This is what I do: I carry the muffs over my hat or cap, with the band around the back of my head, and move them down to cover my ears when I am getting ready to shoot my rifle. At that point I can choose to turn them ON, or just to leave them OFF. Must of the time I turn them ON because I can hear the bullet strike flesh (moose), just after the gun blast. I also turn them ON at the range when I want to hear or talk to others around me while we shoot.

Last edited by Ray; 11/03/07.
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Rocky,
I don't have a limit of $100. Just most of what I read was that the less expensive muffs work as well as the more expensive ones. Are the behind the ear units that much better? I would like to stay around $300 or under.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I certainly think so. The BTE units are much better at blocking wind noise and have MUCH better circuits regarding both sound quality and compression accuracy. The only two drawbacks are the sound tube, which does allow in some "wild" sound and the foam tips, which get dirty quick, don't re-seal well after the first use and can be expensive to replace often. Some people do object to the bulk behind the ear, especially with glasses; the discomfort often goes away with use.

Much better is to get a BTE unit and a custom earplug with tube installed. As I said above, you can get BTE units with entry-level circuitry for $165 or so per ear. Digital circuits, waterproof units or tunable options can run the price to as much as $300 per ear. Add $50 per ear or so for the custom molds if you choose to go that route. You can always get the molds later.

I'm sure Walkers has a web site. The one for EAR is www.earinc.com so you can compare options and such. You can usually get a better price from a local dealer than from company-direct.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used a set of Peltor Tach 6 for 9 years now....Without Fail. Yes they do take a few hours to get used to but once you do they become a must have piece of gear. You can hear game coming WAY FAR in advance of seeing them and by the time they appear you are all ready for the kill. I had my right ear damaged at a concert once. My seat was too close to the speaker and I received painful ear damage. I can't shoot a gun without ear protection for fear that my condition will get worse. These not only protect my ears but give me an extra advantgae over the game.

At first I took alot of slack from my hunting buddies, but guess who uses them now? Guess who had the last laugh.

There are more expensive models out there but for $70 the Peltor Tach 6 is hard to beat.They used to be $150 back when I bought them. I only take them off in the rain otherwise they are one of the most essential parts of my gear. I even use them when walking and for small game too. Once you get used to them you'll be fine.

I should add that they make you a quieter hunter too. All your movements are magnified in your ear even though the game can't hear any of it, so it makes you an even quieter hunter than without using them.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (257 roberts, 06hunter59, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 52 invisible), 12,085 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,259
Posts18,544,634
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.