Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I purchased an Alaskan over the weekend. Visiting stockmaker web sites like McMillan, HS-Precision, Bansner and so forth I have not noticed anyone yet building a replacement for the factory Hogue. E-mail's sent out to a short list of stockmakers are coming back negative (so far). Has anyone done the research? Which quality synthetic stocks are available presently for the Alaskan?

Yes, I noted 458Win's posting on the $65 factory replacement through Brownell.

Thanks for the help.

JohnDeere
GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I thought that the alaskan was just the long action hawkeye/mkII. I assumed that the standard Mickey would fit.. just have to give them the barrel specs.

Mcmillan said this wasn't true?

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since the 375 "Alaskan" fits in the standard length Ruger stock ( I dropped mine in a Hawkeye 30-06 stock to try it ) I don't see why it wouldn't fit most of the others. Give Jim Borden a call if you like his stocks.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by 458Win
Since the 375 "Alaskan" fits in the standard length Ruger stock ( I dropped mine in a Hawkeye 30-06 stock to try it ) I don't see why it wouldn't fit most of the others. Give Jim Borden a call if you like his stocks.

That was my musing, too, but I've never been a Ruger guy so I'm unaware if the Hawkeye/Alaskan differs.

Phil, Brownell's lists two OEM synthetic replacement stocks. Being really unfamiliar with Rugers, which is the one you used?

Stock Assembly, Long Action, All-Weather $66.33
Stock Assembly, Full, Long Action, Synthetic Black $69.64

Thanks,

JohnDeere
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by noKnees
I thought that the alaskan was just the long action hawkeye/mkII. I assumed that the standard Mickey would fit.. just have to give them the barrel specs.

McMillan may be the only maker that never replied to my "contact us" e-mail. Don't ya just love prompt service? I want to be clear that mine so far hasn't been an extensive poll among the makers--I just contacted those few I've used in the past.

JohnDeere
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John, I an not sure which one I ordered. I just called Brownells and told them what I needed. I think it was the $66 one. ($63 at the time)

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
The stock for a magnum barrel channel should work. I dropped a Hawkeye African into a "paddle stock" taken off a 300 Win Mag and it fit fine.

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Oregon45
The stock for a magnum barrel channel should work. I dropped a Hawkeye African into a "paddle stock" taken off a 300 Win Mag and it fit fine.

Thanks Oregon 45. Did you find it necessary to pin the stock (i.e., install a cross bolt)? Will an unreinforced injection molded stock stand up to the greater recoil?

JohnDeere
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The unreinforced Ruger stock on my 375 H&H has held up to a few hundred rounds with no problem. the same stock on my daughters 375 Ruger has held up fine however after maybe a hundred rounds the little tab holding the front of the magazine box dented the box enough to cause feeding problems. It looks as if the recoil lug must be giving enough to allow that so I plan on bedding it in something more solid.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Phil,

I picked up the African because I didn't like the Hogue stock on the Alaskan and liked the wood on the African. My reasoning was I could put a synthetic on the African and still hunt Alaska. Then I could glass bed the African's original wood stock for safari in the future.

I've assumed that the wood stock would not be ideal for Alaska. Now I'm wondering whether there's some way to make the wood stock work up there. If you were to hunt with wood (no pun intended) what would you do to make sure it didn't collect too much moisture and changing point of impact?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I carried the wooden stocked African model most of the season and loaned it to my last hunter to shoot his bear. I intentionally did nothing to it and since the weather was wet it naturally swelled a bit. You noticed it around the recoil pad and grip cap. A little of the spray on finish was beginning to flake in the same areas. But the rifle still maintained zero and worked great. It would be no problem to refinish the wood with something either more water-resistant or a good oil finish for looks. With a dark, rich stain and very little work it should be easy to have a striking, beautiful rifle.
Wood stocks have been used up here for as long as there have been rifles and they still work just fine. Although I have preached the virtues of synthetic for years there is nothing wrong with wood

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Amen to that, only plastic stocks on rifles are on my black guns.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I'm betting I could make one fit with some glass and touch up paint..Any good gunsmith could fix you up..

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by noKnees

McMillan eventually e-mailed me back saying that they don't have a stock for the Hawkeye Alaskan at this time. Maybe it's a customer service mistake(?), not on his scripted answers list?

JohnDeere
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I sent my 375 Ruger Alaskan to Mc Millan ( barreled action)for
them to use as a CNC pattern, a couple weeks ago. Should know
something pretty soon, as they wanted it "yesterday", Rick and Tareh
arranged all of this and should let everyone know as soon as they get any information.
Charlie

If Ignorance is bliss, then why aren't there more
happy people
If The gun was in the hands of the victim,there would be no
murders,robberies or rapes.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey MackMan,

That's great to hear! Please keep us up to date. I have an African that would love to wear a McMillan.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (1234, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 12344mag, 67 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,422
Posts18,507,459
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.