M
MCMark Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Any experience with these?

Curious what the opinion on them are?
Looking on their website this stock caught my eye.
[Linked Image]

Like that a synthetic has a faux woodgrain.

Proud Left hander!

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great stocks no longer get them here in the states. I sent him a email asking and he never replied back.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Yep, great stocks; wish we good still get them up here.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Yep, great stocks; wish we good still get them up here.

Yeah I forgot to follow up with you on the email oopsie I completely forgot about it until i saw the op. I guess we could call and ask..

Nugget

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MCMark;
Good afternoon to you Saskatchewan time, I hope life is going well for you out there.

With the understanding that my information is years old now, here goes.

This one on Stuart's website is one that I'm fairly familiar with... wink

[Linked Image]

Here's what it looks like this year, which is it's 3rd paintjob.

[Linked Image]

After I did that one for my own use I did up another one for a friend on a long action Model 70.

Originally I'd read of a couple forum members here who'd had good experiences with them - greydog, rembo and RickF come to mind now and I know there's another couple I'm forgetting - sorry.

They aren't finished or I never got the finished ones. They are as light as he says they'll be and they're very stiff which in my opinion is never a bad thing. They need to be bedded and are definitely not "drop in".

Other synthetic stocks I've worked on in the past came from Bell & Carlson, McMillan and one Chet Brown, but it was an older one. The Wildcats compared favorably in quality to them all I felt.

I'm not sure if Stuart has a different insurer now or not, at one time he was having an issue shipping stateside but I do see there's US pricing again on his site so I'm not sure.

Hopefully that was useful to you or someone out there.

All the best and good hunting.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

M
MCMark Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by BC30cal
MCMark;
Good afternoon to you Saskatchewan time, I hope life is going well for you out there.

With the understanding that my information is years old now, here goes.

This one on Stuart's website is one that I'm fairly familiar with... wink

[Linked Image]

Here's what it looks like this year, which is it's 3rd paintjob.

[Linked Image]

After I did that one for my own use I did up another one for a friend on a long action Model 70.

Originally I'd read of a couple forum members here who'd had good experiences with them - greydog, rembo and RickF come to mind now and I know there's another couple I'm forgetting - sorry.

They aren't finished or I never got the finished ones. They are as light as he says they'll be and they're very stiff which in my opinion is never a bad thing. They need to be bedded and are definitely not "drop in".

Other synthetic stocks I've worked on in the past came from Bell & Carlson, McMillan and one Chet Brown, but it was an older one. The Wildcats compared favorably in quality to them all I felt.

I'm not sure if Stuart has a different insurer now or not, at one time he was having an issue shipping stateside but I do see there's US pricing again on his site so I'm not sure.

Hopefully that was useful to you or someone out there.

Dwayne
Good afternoon Dwayne,

That's a interesting rifle! That's good to know, I guess by being unfinished, you can do any kind of paint scheme you want. I had always wanted a McMillan in their mcwoody color scheme. I guess it might be a better idea to go with a wildcat? I've heard that they take quite a while for Mcmillan to produce?

The stock I posted in the 1st post looked to use a wood grain hydro dipped pattern. Right now I have a unknown fiberglass that I striped the paint off of.

Mark

Proud Left hander!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MCMark;
Good afternoon again sir, thanks for the reply.

Here's a bit of a writeup I did back when I put that thing together in the old days.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../3660460/98-mauser-on-a-diet#Post3660460

As it turned out me and that Parker Hale barrel didn't get along all that well.

Fellow 'Fire member and gun writer John Barnsness mentioned/suggested I turn it into a 6.5x55 as he'd done that to one of his Mauser actions.

Long story short, that rifle now has what was then a near new 96 small ring 1:7.78" twist barrel installed on it. It wasn't a low budget way to go in some ways, but I wanted a deep groove, fast twist Swede and that's what it is now.

Anyways as mentioned, I had very good interactions with Stuart back then, but haven't phoned him in about a decade give or take.

Again all the best and good hunting.

Dwayne

M
MCMark Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by BC30cal
MCMark;
Good afternoon again sir, thanks for the reply.

Here's a bit of a writeup I did back when I put that thing together in the old days.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../3660460/98-mauser-on-a-diet#Post3660460

As it turned out me and that Parker Hale barrel didn't get along all that well.

Fellow 'Fire member and gun writer John Barnsness mentioned/suggested I turn it into a 6.5x55 as he'd done that to one of his Mauser actions.

Long story short, that rifle now has what was then a near new 96 small ring 1:7.78" twist barrel installed on it. It wasn't a low budget way to go in some ways, but I wanted a deep groove, fast twist Swede and that's what it is now.

Anyways as mentioned, I had very good interactions with Stuart back then, but haven't phoned him in about a decade give or take.

Again all the best and good hunting.

Dwayne

Good afternoon Dwayne,

Interesting thread on your parker hale.
I have a left hand zastava in 6.5x55, I'd like to make it lighter, right now it's a bit of a pig. That's recoil pad material from corlanes, sounds like a interesting material.

Mark

Proud Left hander!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Not available to the USA? Huhh?

Want to clarify, I have plans for a couple.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Not available to the US? Huhh?
Shipping issues and insurance; been going on for several years. Last I heard Stuart was looking for other options but have not heard it’s been resolved. I’d order a couple more if it ever gets sorted. They are spectacularly stiff for their weight.

Yeah, I said that.
😂

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Just off the phone. Chit!

No can do US sales. And it seems fairly unlikely to resolve "soon".

Dagnamit.

(Liability insurance issue from home based business and our our costly litigious nonsense in the states.)

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 11/06/22.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Now if we knew a Canadian that'd help us out....

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mark;
Thanks for the reply again.

To clarify on the action, it's a between the wars 98 with a commercial Mauser roll mark and no Nazi waffenampt proof marks that I picked up from a buddy for $35 if I recall right. It might not have had a bolt and definitely no bottom metal or trigger.

When it first started life it had an FN military contour stepped .30-06 barrel installed - from the same buddy and it was from him that the Parker Hale Featherweight .270 barrel was traded for too.

It's been a bit of a money pit project, but it fits me and is about the right balance between me still hitting something with it and still being able to drag it around the mountains all day. Somehow in the past 38 years they've become more steep Mark!!! blush

The FN '06 barrel is now on a VZ24 action that I really need to finish the stock for sooner than later as it's been promised to someone special as a gift years ago and they're patiently waiting.

On the Zastava action, I've had good luck with any rifle I've worked on with one of their actions and for that matter some of the barrels shot well too if I'm remembering them right?

Lots of rifles and lots and lots of shooting back when you see sir. wink

Best to you all once more.

Dwayne

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Now if we knew a Canadian that'd help us out....

MtnBoomer;
Afternoon sir, I hope the day's going well for you all.

The next question is - are you able to import it as a private citizen?

It'd be no big deal to have stocks sitting on this side of the medicine line for anyone who is wandering down past here for instance, but you all would need to know if you can say buy a used stock from a Canadian.

I've had some parts - metal trigger guard I want to say - that Brownell's couldn't export, but were able to be purchased down there and brought up here just fine as they were considered used.

Anyways that's where to start perhaps? Not sure honestly.

Dwayne

PS Edit;
Currently Canada Post loses stuff left, right and center so mailing wouldn't be the preferred transport.

Last edited by BC30cal; 11/06/22.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thanks.

Seems like a US import form would be required for shipping south. All very ridiculous.

Brownells parts (maybe) or tooling northbound? Keep me in mind.

My desire are lightweight blanks to work with. I'm drawing a blank now. (Shameless pun).

--- Kid Rock 2022

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Bansner, but they’ve gone up in price like everything else.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

252 members (1minute, 264mag, 17CalFan, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 29aholic, 33 invisible), 2,187 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,206
Posts18,503,836
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.