Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I'm just curious, if anyone uses a St. Croix fly rod. They're made right up here in the northwoods of Wisconsin. We have 3 of them, different models, but these are the only brand my family has ever used. Are we missing the boat? (You won't hurt my feelings ..... if you think they suck, I'd appreciate learning why.) [Linked Image]

GB1

St. Croix are probably the best rods for the money. They are almost the Savage of fly rods. [Linked Image] <P>------------------<BR>The night that I sleep well before opening day is the night I quit hunting.

The night that I sleep well before opening day is the night I quit hunting.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
There's nothing with St. Croix rods at all. You give up something in finish and trim (rod guides, reel seat, etc.) for the 90 percent of us who don't obsess about those things, it doesn't matter. As their advertising points out, the fish don't know the difference. If you enjoy casting it and it gets the job done for you, don't worry about it. Most of my rods are Cabela's, much to the chagrin of the guides and fly fishing equipment manufacturers I occasionally fish with. Who cares? I'm not rich - I just enjoy fishing. And I catch a helluva lot of fish. As long as you can place your fly and control your line, you're getting the job done. <P>Greggun

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
I LOVE my St. Croix flyrods... I've got a few more expensive G. Loomis rods too and I can't say that they're any better... in fact, I landed my biggest largemouth bass ever (4.5lbs) on a St. Croix Legend Series rod in 3/4 weight while fishing for bluegills and landed a 10lb. Lake Trout in Northern Quebec on a 4-piece 5wt. a couple of years ago...

INDY
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a St. Croix Legend Series in the 9 weight I use for 90% of my flats fishing. I love the way it casts. Caught a nice 30"red fish last wk with it and a gold color bend-back on 1/0 hook that I tied.

IC B2

R
R
Here's a another endorsement. No doubt about it, St Croix are the best fly rods for the money. And if that's still more than you want to spend, Cabela's are the next best. The only thing you get if you spend more is a raw nose from having is constantly scrape on the ceiling.

Duck! it's a Rick O'Shay
B
B
I had the opportunity to throw a St.Croix 4wt. It was really smooth and has excellent sensitivity. My most recent purchase was a Redington 5 weight. I love this rod and the lifetime gaurantee-(klutz)- [Linked Image]<BR>I have only been fly-fishing for about a year and didnt know a damn thing about fly-rod selection. I agree with the poster above--if the shoe fits wear it. I needed a rugged rod without the cost and found it--suits me just fine..<BR>bones

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Of the Cabela's rods, which are the best for the $? They explain the actions of each model, but buying from a catalog makes me a little jumpy. I'm sure Cabela's would let me return if I wasn't happy though.
I'm going to check out the St. Croix website, but did I read correctly that they've got an idiot proof (leupold) warranty?

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
St Croix are good casting rods. The new Temple Forks rods are cheaper and cast beautifully.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Drop by your local Orvis store. Some models are changing, and they are selling rods at 70% off. I bought a $275.00 5wt for $111.00.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

265 members (280shooter, 30incher, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1minute, 42 invisible), 2,198 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,322
Posts18,505,844
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.