Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
I've got some of these and have been thinking about trying them out in my model 70 extreme weather. I have both the flat base and boat tail and was wondering if anyone has seen any noticable difference between the two when it comes to accuracy?

HR IC

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I generally get better close range accuracy/precision from the flat based bullets. Further out and the boat tails seem to work a little better. That's 400+ yards though..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I've only tried the BT and they were accurate and worked well on several caribou. No shots past 300 yards, so I can't speak to long range accuracy.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
I've only tried the BT and they were accurate and worked well on several caribou. No shots past 300 yards, so I can't speak to long range accuracy.

Ed

The places I hunt most shots are gonna be around 100 yards but I do have one place where I hunt that is a clear cut and if the situation came up and I had to shoot from one side to the other it would be about a 300 yard shot.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
They are both accurate and your rifle will tell you what it likes. I like the fb better, but have used them interchangeably. They will perform great at 7-08 velocities. They were my go-to bullets for years in my 7 mags at around 3100 fps for deer.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The flat base is no longer made... or at least the last time I was looking to buy a box... like last year or so...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Seafire
The flat base is no longer made... or at least the last time I was looking to buy a box... like last year or so...

Unfortunately, Hornady has gone the way of the new wave. Everybody thinks that the boattailed, plastic-tipped bullets are the only thing that work.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sbhooper

Unfortunately, Hornady has gone the way of the new wave. Everybody thinks that the boattailed, plastic-tipped bullets are the only thing that work.

That’s because nobody and I mean nobody ever takes a shot under 800 yards on big game anymore. We all be super pooper snipers. So why sell a bullet that doesn’t have a .750 BC and a plastic tip. 🤣

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swifty52

That’s because nobody and I mean nobody ever takes a shot under 800 yards on big game anymore. We all be super pooper snipers. So why sell a bullet that doesn’t have a .750 BC and a plastic tip. 🤣
Don't believe everything you read on the Internet. Flat base is easily found in stock on multiple sites.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Hornady shows it on their website.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

and to think guys like me still prefer a good old round nose if I can find some....

the latest technology I use on deer hunting is the finest of 1950 or so...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Careful, Swifty. Comments like that could give Stick apoplexy! grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by southtexas

Careful, Swifty. Comments like that could give Stick apoplexy! grin

Not sure that fits the twig, his neurological malfunction was not sudden. 😄

Swifty
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I shot both in an old stainless synthetic model 70 7mm mag back in the mid to late 90's, they blew the hell out of deer with a big charge of 7828, could never see a difference in accuracy, another rifle i should have kept!

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Amazing-isn't it?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
not shot by me, but I've loaned out a Howa 1500 in 7/08 to some folks, with my handloads using 4064 with a 139 grain Hornady SP...
it has worked for both Blacktails and Elk, for those folks...,when their Creedmoor didn't work on an Elk...

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
not shot by me, but I've loaned out a Howa 1500 in 7/08 to some folks, with my handloads using 4064 with a 139 grain Hornady SP...
it has worked for both Blacktails and Elk, for those folks...,when their Creedmoor didn't work on an Elk...

How much IMR4064 are you using?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
44.4 grains... round number easy to remember.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

What is this supposed to mean?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Lol.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

411 members (10Glocks, 163bc, 12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 17CalFan, 30 invisible), 2,226 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,453
Posts18,529,007
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.