Hop To
Page 11 of 29 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 28 29
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Take all the time you need KG. Nobody's going anywhere. smile

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
GB4

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bbassi
Take all the time you need KG. Nobody's going anywhere. smile

Exactly and dark winter is closing in fast. I have the time and I am enjoying this, even the bantering, especially the coffee shop gals!

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
This is a hunting forum equivalent of The English Patient.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by deflave

It must be painful knowing some guys actually have friends willing to take them hunting. Sorry.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
We wanted of course to get as close to the animal as we could, but we were made right away. I was worried that they would wander off, or worse, bolt, but our bull for whatever reason was about the last to stand. While the herd was obviously getting a little nervous, one by one they just sort of stared at us. As we continued getting closer, some started slowly moving away from us, but our bull was content to just lay for another maybe 30 seconds as we continued to close on him. When he looked directly at us and stirred, looking like he was ready to rise along with the others, I asked Rost495 for a range, and he said "I have 257". Close enough, I figured, happy that the bull had let us get a hundred yards closer to him than we were in the tree line. I put up the sticks and got the 700 nestled in the rest.

"I've got him. When he stands up completely, I'm going to kill him. Watch your ears, bud." And with that, the bull stood. I chose my target spot carefully, in the high shoulder, as I'd been advised, and touched the trigger. I lost the sight picture in recoil but when I got him back in the scope, four legs were literally pointing at the sky. I hadn't expected that reaction. The bull reacted as if he'd been brained by a captive bolt gun in a pen. "Keep on him, and shoot him again if he gets up", Rost495 said. "Yes, thank you sir, though I'm quite certain he's done for". And so it was.

We walked up on him at the ready in case he did rise, but there was no need for another shot from me, or one from Rost495. The only movement I saw after the shot was the tail weakly flicking once or twice. We approached with a little caution, but could see at we got up to him that he was stone dead. I touched an eye with the rifle barrel just in case and got nothing.

You can see him here from about where I originally shot from (yes, the pic was taken zoomed in with my camera after we checked him and made sure he was dead). Not before a little noisy celebration occurred between the three of us. SD had seen the whole thing, got video of the killshot and had come out to us with the gear we'd left behind. Teamwork is a thing...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Inside joke here with the hand, but the lads were pretty damned happy and excited, just as I was. In fact, I was pretty much over the moon.

As he lay when we first came to him from the other side. The tree line in the background is where we glassed from and Rost495 and I began our final stalk. Some might recognize a certain hat in the pic.

After getting the animal set up for a few pics and the processing. Not exactly a small critter.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Wow what a great hunt! Congrats on sharing it with us!

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Now the work begins.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
congrats

how are you getting meat back home?

Originally Posted by kamo_gari
We wanted of course to get as close to the animal as we could, but we were made right away. I was worried that they would wander off, or wore, bolt, but our bull for whatever reason was about the last to stand and while obviously getting nervous, one by one they just sort of stared at us. As we continued getting closer, some started slowly moving away from us, but our bull was content for another maybe 30 seconds of lying there. When he first stirred and looked as if he was about to rise along with the others, I asked Rost495 for a range, and he said I have 257. Close enough, I figured, happy that the bull had let us get a hundred yards closer to him than we were in the tree line. I put up the sticks and got the 700 nestled in the rest.

"I've got him. When he stands up completely, I'm going to kill him. Watch your ears, bud." And with that, the bull stood. I chose my target spot carefully, in the high shoulder, as I'd been advised, and touched the trigger. I lost the sight picture in recoil but when I got him back in the scope, four legs were pointing at the sky. I hadn't expected that reaction. The bull reacted as if he'd been brained by a captive bolt gun in a pen. "Keep on him, and shoot him again if he gets up", Rost495 said. "Yes, thank you, but I'm quite certain he's done for". And so it was.

We walked up on him at the ready in case he did rise, but there was no need for another shot from me, or one from Rost495. The only movement I saw after the shot was the tail weakly flicking once or twice. We approached with a little caution, but could see at we got up to him that he was stone dead. I touched an eye with the rifle barrel just in case and got nothing.

You can see him here from about where I originally shot from (yes, the pic was taken after we checked him). Not before a little noisy celebration occurred between the three of us. SD had seen the whole thing and had come out to us with the gear we'd left behind.

Inside joke here, but the lads were pretty happy and excited, just as I was. In fact, I was pretty much over the moon.

As he lay when we first came to him from the other side. The tree line in the background is where we glassed from and Rost495 and I began our final stalk. Some might recognize a certain hat in the pic.

After getting the animal set up for a few pics and the processing. Not exactly a small critter.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
👍

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Great read and pics. Congrats on such a fine adventure. Thanks much for sharing!

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And...

wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Excellent. Good shot!!

Hope there's a few more pics of the field dressing etc.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Terrific!

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fantastic, congratulations on a great adventure with good friends, in a cool place.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by deflave

It must be painful knowing some guys actually have friends willing to take them hunting. Sorry.

Yeah.

It’s a Campfire first. A real trailblazer.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Congrats and thanks for taking us along !
Great write up

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Very nice, congrats.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
At some point I saw Rost495 do something that I like to do; he tucked a bit of barley stubble in the bison's mouth, giving the noble beast a ritualistic last bite. Classy dude. I thanked the animal for its life in my own way, deeply grateful for him and to be a part of this hunt. I was humbled and grateful for a wife I adore who's suffered me my outdoors passions for the last couple decades, having the health to be able to get out to do this hunt and for good friends. Some of them new ones without whom I couldn't possibly have come away with this caliber of experience with have my deep gratitude. They all know who they are. My bison hunt was a total and rousing success.

Headed into the property before ducking into the tree line. Both shots immediately below courtesy of Rost495.

Rost495 said that he'd head back the couple miles back for the truck while SD and I got to work.

A shot of the three, er, four of us before the work whistle blew.

Getting ready to start cutting. Wish I had me oilskins along that day.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Thanks Leighton, Great write up! What are you saving? I had a shoulder mount done skull bleached, and a couple of ft. Of the hide tanned hair on was going to make a Trad .back quiver. But just use it for gun shows now.i wish I'd had the hole hide tanned hair on, and pass on the shoulder mount. Iv since moved to a smaller place and sold the mount.

Last edited by saddlering; 11/08/22.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The real challenge I'm patiently waiting to hear about is how you got a Buffalo back to Massachusetts.

Page 11 of 29 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 28 29

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 63 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,421 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,945
Posts18,480,184
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.