Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 29 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 28 29
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cape weight?

Head weight?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB4

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Thanks to all for following along and the words of congrats. I'm glad some of you enjoyed it. I'm going to follow up with some more pics and a few words (was that a collective groan I just heard? wink )

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Lots of excellent meat there Congratulations!

KB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well told KG! And kudos to SD,Vern and rost for all their assistance.

Have to ask though, you ever get a hint of the scent of mothballs while you were bunking with SD?

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
We wanted of course to get as close to the animal as we could, but we were made right away. I was worried that they would wander off, or worse, bolt, but our bull for whatever reason was about the last to stand. While the herd was obviously getting a little nervous, one by one they just sort of stared at us. As we continued getting closer, some started slowly moving away from us, but our bull was content to just lay for another maybe 30 seconds as we continued to close on him. When he looked directly at us and stirred, looking like he was ready to rise along with the others, I asked Rost495 for a range, and he said "I have 257". Close enough, I figured, happy that the bull had let us get a hundred yards closer to him than we were in the tree line. I put up the sticks and got the 700 nestled in the rest.

"I've got him. When he stands up completely, I'm going to kill him. Watch your ears, bud." And with that, the bull stood. I chose my target spot carefully, in the high shoulder, as I'd been advised, and touched the trigger. I lost the sight picture in recoil but when I got him back in the scope, four legs were literally pointing at the sky. I hadn't expected that reaction. The bull reacted as if he'd been brained by a captive bolt gun in a pen. "Keep on him, and shoot him again if he gets up", Rost495 said. "Yes, thank you sir, though I'm quite certain he's done for". And so it was.

We walked up on him at the ready in case he did rise, but there was no need for another shot from me, or one from Rost495. The only movement I saw after the shot was the tail weakly flicking once or twice. We approached with a little caution, but could see at we got up to him that he was stone dead. I touched an eye with the rifle barrel just in case and got nothing.

You can see him here from about where I originally shot from (yes, the pic was taken zoomed in with my camera after we checked him and made sure he was dead). Not before a little noisy celebration occurred between the three of us. SD had seen the whole thing, got video of the killshot and had come out to us with the gear we'd left behind. Teamwork is a thing...

Inside joke here with the hand, but the lads were pretty damned happy and excited, just as I was. In fact, I was pretty much over the moon.

As he lay when we first came to him from the other side. The tree line in the background is where we glassed from and Rost495 and I began our final stalk. Some might recognize a certain hat in the pic.

After getting the animal set up for a few pics and the processing. Not exactly a small critter.

👍👍👍👍👍

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Well done. What rifle/caliber did u use? I see you were using TSXs?

Uh page 1 somewhere in the middle https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...17764086/re-to-kill-a-bison#Post17764086
700 PacNor #5, 20", super match grade ss barrel. Barreled by John Ricks. Paradox walnut stock by me, cast on 5/16 at heel, 1/4 at toe.

Several members here have used it for Kodiak bears, moose, caribou, bison, and other stuff. Remarkable accuracy with almost everything, but especially the 270gr TSX. A number of people have shot their best personal groups with it. The cast makes it gentle in recoil.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Great story and pics.

Lotsa good eating there.

I enjoyed it .....thanks for posting.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Wonderful write up! 25+ pages and only one whiner speaks volumes about your writing ability! Congratulations on a wonderful adventure and thanks for taking us along!

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

Have to ask though, you ever get a hint of the scent of mothballs while you were bunking with SD?

I was in the basement 'suite' at SD's. Is 'mothball' smell code for faint hint of chloroform smell? If so, yes. Next question.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats on a great hunt and story Leighton!

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

I was in the basement 'suite' at SD's. Is 'mothball' smell code for faint hint of chloroform smell? If so, yes. Next question.

Awesome, so you got the whole slope VIP treatment then. And that’s not as bigoted as it sounds, honest wink

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great Thread! Congratulations on a successful hunt!

Harry
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Well done. What rifle/caliber did u use? I see you were using TSXs?

Uh page 1 somewhere in the middle https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...17764086/re-to-kill-a-bison#Post17764086
700 PacNor #5, 20", super match grade ss barrel. Barreled by John Ricks. Paradox walnut stock by me, cast on 5/16 at heel, 1/4 at toe.

Several members here have used it for Kodiak bears, moose, caribou, bison, and other stuff. Remarkable accuracy with almost everything, but especially the 270gr TSX. A number of people have shot their best personal groups with it. The cast makes it gentle in recoil.

OK, fine. Obviously, I'm being prodded here by someone who's just dying for me to tell the 'rest of the story'. I can do that, and I'll sleep just fine tonight, despite all kinds of BS talkin' about, 'don't worry, your secret is safe with us!' Whatever. After I have a good cry because Deflave hurt my feelers earlier and all, I think I just might survive...

So, no one asked about the apparent lack of a entrance, or exit hole in my bison's thoracic region in the pics. Anyone wonder why? Well, I'll tell you. It's because I hit that bison not less than two FEET left and SIX inches high from where I intended for it to impact. I've no explanation for it and offer no excuse. I was calm, held my breath on a half exhale, had dry-fired that rifle (with a ~20 oz of trigger pull weight) at least 200 times before my one practice shot with it. If anyone is looking for an explanation, ask Heyzoos. I can't explain it, nor excuse it. It happened. And yeah, I understand exactly just how badly things could have gone with a shot so far off from where it was intended to go. I'm no hard-core rifleman, and have flubbed a couple of shots before. I don't know any serious, experienced hunters who haven't missed or blown a shot, but that's neither here nor there. I could not have possibly f*&ucked up that shot any worse that what I obviously did. It happens sometimes, despite the hunter's best intentions. Is it the shortcoming of the shooter? In all likelihood, yes.

I consider myself fortunate that I've yet to lose an animal due to a bad shot. Have I had to shoot a critter more than once due to a poor initial shot? Yep, I have, unfortunately. And while I'm not proud of it, I understand that I'm not perfect and as long as I continue to hunt as much as I do, chances are good not every shot I take will be a good one. I'll own that. I've always done everything in my power and ability to make sure the likelihood of it not happening are good, well, shyt happens sometimes...

At several points in our breaking down the animal with blades, the lads both spent some time asking me where I was aiming, and looking puzzled at not finding at least one hole. Well, that's because the 270 grain TSX bullet I shot at him hit him just behind the skull, where it blew apart his spine just ahead of the atlas bone. I essentially severed his head from his spine, explaining why he dropped like he'd been poleaxed when I blasted him.

When we were examining the shattered vertebra and we all understood that despite my shot being wildly errant beyond any reasonable standards, it still smashed that bull down like the hand of God himself. SD soon after came out with a line I'll take with me to the grave. I may never be sure his intent, but somehow it made me feel a little better. Here's what he said, with a deadpan expression:

"My friend, all I've got is, that was very possibly the very, very best, WORST shot I've ever seen in my life!"

The three of us laughed until we almost vomited. Then I did. But then, I drink.

Gimme' a sec while I don this here vintage asbestos suit, and flame on. I'm a lot of things, but a couple of things I'm not is a liar, or a bullshytter. 'And dat's da name ah dat tune...'

And with that, your honor, I'll have to insist that the prosecution share the evidence with the defense. Come on; it's only fair, SD. Download that f'in video and send it to me. I KNOW I saw that bull turn/spin slightly to the left just as I shot... I want to see that video.

As a possibly interesting aside, this big city born and bred kid killed his first big game animal 20 years ago, almost to the month, in Alaska. A black bear, it was. It started my passion for big game hunting and traveling near and far to chase my passion. With two decades now past, I can only opine that the world would be a far better place if there were more hunters. Thanks, Wiley. Pity you choose not to chime in.

KG

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Buck Fever.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
KG; thank you so very much for “taking us along for the ride”.

Kudos to all of those involved.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Congrats KG!

That was a story well worth reading and thanks for sharing it with us.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by cisco1
Buck Fever.

Nah, man. I was calm and was confident. Not nervous, not panicking. But whatever, I'll never know what happened other than my bison died on the quickness. And I'm calling that a win. Bash away. I can take it. I have 200 pounds of bison meat in my freezer...

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

JK - you got a big bison down and lotsa good eating.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Those that get buck fever don't recognize it.

Good on you however. Enjoy the buffler meat.....I love it.

Great story.... no criticism here.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Great trip, great hunt, great friends, great trophy...you are a fortunate man!

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Some days it’s better to be lucky than good 😁😁😁 . The big takeaway is you put yourself in a position to get a shot.

Last edited by navlav8r; 11/08/22.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Page 15 of 29 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 28 29

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

53 members (300_savage, Aero, 3dtestify, 1_deuce, 7 invisible), 1,208 guests, and 827 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,995
Posts18,481,139
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.