Campfire Regular
B
Great story! Thanks for sharing it.

GB4

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
kamo gari;
Good evening once more my friend, thanks for the chuckle with, as Paul Harvey would say, "the rest of the story".

I want to say it was the late John Wooters who long ago opined that "if someone tells you everything they shoot drops dead, they've either not shot very many things or it didn't happen that way".

Being front and center when somewhere north of 100 combined deer, black bear, sheep and a moose caught lead, I'd add that if anyone tells you they always hit where they're aiming they've either not shot very many things or it didn't happen that way.

As well, I'd opine that if I had a choice in the matter, I'd rather be lucky than good every time, you know Leighton? grin

That said then, added to the fact that I've royally buggered a few shots on game in the past half century myself, sometimes turning out much worse than your bison, you shall not be receiving flames from my section of this side of the medicine line tonight.

It was a grand hunting tale, well told sir.

Best to you both Leighton.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good job. I'll take a lucky bad shot over a absolute disaster.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Great story & pics, congrats & thanks for sharing..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great story. You have a real tale f to write a d make it interesting. On ratulatio s on the bison.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Congrats and thanks for the fun read!

Curious what you all used for knives and how you would rate their performance.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Well told KG! And kudos to SD,Vern and rost for all their assistance.

Have to ask though, you ever get a hint of the scent of mothballs while you were bunking with SD?

I was in the basement 'suite' at SD's. Is 'mothball' smell code for faint hint of chloroform smell? If so, yes. Next question.

Awesome, so you got the whole slope VIP treatment then. And that’s not as bigoted as it sounds, honest wink

Shut up, slope!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Songrats on the Buffalo. Awesome story

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Well done. What rifle/caliber did u use? I see you were using TSXs?
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Uh page 1 somewhere in the middle https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...17764086/re-to-kill-a-bison#Post17764086
700 PacNor #5, 20", super match grade ss barrel. Barreled by John Ricks. Paradox walnut stock by me, cast on 5/16 at heel, 1/4 at toe.

Several members here have used it for Kodiak bears, moose, caribou, bison, and other stuff. Remarkable accuracy with almost everything, but especially the 270gr TSX. A number of people have shot their best personal groups with it. The cast makes it gentle in recoil.

OK, fine. Obviously, I'm being prodded here by someone who's just dying for me to tell the 'rest of the story'. I can do that, and I'll sleep just fine tonight, despite all kinds of BS talkin' about, 'don't worry, your secret is safe with us!' Whatever. After I have a good cry because Deflave hurt my feelers earlier and all, I think I just might survive...

So, no one asked about the apparent lack of a entrance, or exit hole in my bison's thoracic region in the pics. Anyone wonder why? Well, I'll tell you. It's because I hit that bison not less than two FEET left and SIX inches high from where I intended for it to impact. I've no explanation for it and offer no excuse. I was calm, held my breath on a half exhale, had dry-fired that rifle (with a ~20 oz of trigger pull weight) at least 200 times before my one practice shot with it. If anyone is looking for an explanation, ask Heyzoos. I can't explain it, nor excuse it. It happened. And yeah, I understand exactly just how badly things could have gone with a shot so far off from where it was intended to go. I'm no hard-core rifleman, and have flubbed a couple of shots before. I don't know any serious, experienced hunters who haven't missed or blown a shot, but that's neither here nor there. I could not have possibly f*&ucked up that shot any worse that what I obviously did. It happens sometimes, despite the hunter's best intentions. Is it the shortcoming of the shooter? In all likelihood, yes.

I consider myself fortunate that I've yet to lose an animal due to a bad shot. Have I had to shoot a critter more than once due to a poor initial shot? Yep, I have, unfortunately. And while I'm not proud of it, I understand that I'm not perfect and as long as I continue to hunt as much as I do, chances are good not every shot I take will be a good one. I'll own that. I've always done everything in my power and ability to make sure the likelihood of it not happening are good, well, shyt happens sometimes...

At several points in our breaking down the animal with blades, the lads both spent some time asking me where I was aiming, and looking puzzled at not finding at least one hole. Well, that's because the 270 grain TSX bullet I shot at him hit him just behind the skull, where it blew apart his spine just ahead of the atlas bone. I essentially severed his head from his spine, explaining why he dropped like he'd been poleaxed when I blasted him.

When we were examining the shattered vertebra and we all understood that despite my shot being wildly errant beyond any reasonable standards, it still smashed that bull down like the hand of God himself. SD soon after came out with a line I'll take with me to the grave. I may never be sure his intent, but somehow it made me feel a little better. Here's what he said, with a deadpan expression:

"My friend, all I've got is, that was very possibly the very, very best, WORST shot I've ever seen in my life!"

The three of us laughed until we almost vomited. Then I did. But then, I drink.

Gimme' a sec while I don this here vintage asbestos suit, and flame on. I'm a lot of things, but a couple of things I'm not is a liar, or a bullshytter. 'And dat's da name ah dat tune...'

And with that, your honor, I'll have to insist that the prosecution share the evidence with the defense. Come on; it's only fair, SD. Download that f'in video and send it to me. I KNOW I saw that bull turn/spin slightly to the left just as I shot... I want to see that video.

As a possibly interesting aside, this big city born and bred kid killed his first big game animal 20 years ago, almost to the month, in Alaska. A black bear, it was. It started my passion for big game hunting and traveling near and far to chase my passion. With two decades now past, I can only opine that the world would be a far better place if there were more hunters. Thanks, Wiley. Pity you choose not to chime in.

KG

Ha ha... love the honesty.... I have had the same thing happen... smile
Congrats Kamo on your bison

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
"I shot at him hit him just behind the skull, where it blew apart his spine just ahead of the atlas bone. I essentially severed his head from his spine, explaining why he dropped like he'd been poleaxed when I blasted him."

Maybe looking at the head, be it subconscious or not...?

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Some days it’s better to be lucky than good 😁😁😁 . The big takeaway is you put yourself in a position to get a shot.

A wise man once said "luck is the residue of preparation and hard work."

Or something like that.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
OK, fine. Obviously, I'm being prodded here by someone who's just dying for me to tell the 'rest of the story'. I can do that, and I'll sleep just fine tonight, despite all kinds of BS talkin' about, 'don't worry, your secret is safe with us!' Whatever. After I have a good cry because Deflave hurt my feelers earlier and all, I think I just might survive...

So, no one asked about the apparent lack of a entrance, or exit hole in my bison's thoracic region in the pics. Anyone wonder why? Well, I'll tell you. It's because I hit that bison not less than two FEET left and SIX inches high from where I intended for it to impact. I've no explanation for it and offer no excuse. I was calm, held my breath on a half exhale, had dry-fired that rifle (with a ~20 oz of trigger pull weight) at least 200 times before my one practice shot with it. If anyone is looking for an explanation, ask Heyzoos. I can't explain it, nor excuse it. It happened. And yeah, I understand exactly just how badly things could have gone with a shot so far off from where it was intended to go. I'm no hard-core rifleman, and have flubbed a couple of shots before. I don't know any serious, experienced hunters who haven't missed or blown a shot, but that's neither here nor there. I could not have possibly f*&ucked up that shot any worse that what I obviously did. It happens sometimes, despite the hunter's best intentions. Is it the shortcoming of the shooter? In all likelihood, yes.

I consider myself fortunate that I've yet to lose an animal due to a bad shot. Have I had to shoot a critter more than once due to a poor initial shot? Yep, I have, unfortunately. And while I'm not proud of it, I understand that I'm not perfect and as long as I continue to hunt as much as I do, chances are good not every shot I take will be a good one. I'll own that. I've always done everything in my power and ability to make sure the likelihood of it not happening are good, well, shyt happens sometimes...

At several points in our breaking down the animal with blades, the lads both spent some time asking me where I was aiming, and looking puzzled at not finding at least one hole. Well, that's because the 270 grain TSX bullet I shot at him hit him just behind the skull, where it blew apart his spine just ahead of the atlas bone. I essentially severed his head from his spine, explaining why he dropped like he'd been poleaxed when I blasted him.

When we were examining the shattered vertebra and we all understood that despite my shot being wildly errant beyond any reasonable standards, it still smashed that bull down like the hand of God himself. SD soon after came out with a line I'll take with me to the grave. I may never be sure his intent, but somehow it made me feel a little better. Here's what he said, with a deadpan expression:

"My friend, all I've got is, that was very possibly the very, very best, WORST shot I've ever seen in my life!"

The three of us laughed until we almost vomited. Then I did. But then, I drink.

Gimme' a sec while I don this here vintage asbestos suit, and flame on. I'm a lot of things, but a couple of things I'm not is a liar, or a bullshytter. 'And dat's da name ah dat tune...'

And with that, your honor, I'll have to insist that the prosecution share the evidence with the defense. Come on; it's only fair, SD. Download that f'in video and send it to me. I KNOW I saw that bull turn/spin slightly to the left just as I shot... I want to see that video.

As a possibly interesting aside, this big city born and bred kid killed his first big game animal 20 years ago, almost to the month, in Alaska. A black bear, it was. It started my passion for big game hunting and traveling near and far to chase my passion. With two decades now past, I can only opine that the world would be a far better place if there were more hunters. Thanks, Wiley. Pity you choose not to chime in.

KG

Kamo,

Thanks for the honesty and congrats on accidentally killing a bison.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by cisco1
Buck Fever.

It a bison, dummy.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Some days it’s better to be lucky than good 😁😁😁 . The big takeaway is you put yourself in a position to get a shot.

A wise man once said "luck is the residue of preparation and hard work."

Or something like that.

It's the residue of design, dumb schit.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I laughed my azz off at that. Good stuff man.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by cisco1
Buck Fever.

It a bison, dummy.

And this a hunting forum. Thinks a bison is a deer. Sad!!!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It's the residue of design, dumb schit.

LOL, dickhead had two beers and got mouthy.

I'm out, great thread Kamo. Post those food pics soon, we know you got 'em.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
kamo,

How many times was you mistook for an Inuit?

LOL

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by smokepole
LOL, dickhead had two beers and got mouthy.

I'm out, great thread Kamo. Post those food pics soon, we know you got 'em.

Nonsense.

I'm drinking vodka.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Kamo,

Thanks for the honesty and congrats on accidentally killing a bison.

lol you inbred bastard. We good.

Page 16 of 29 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 28 29

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,219
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.