Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by kamo_gari; 11/09/22.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Not seeing a problem. You came up to kill a bison and did.

👍💪😎

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Wonderful story good times Thanks for sharing this with us !!!

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Leighton, Thank you for detailing through words and exquisite photos of your adventure. When Art told me you were coming I knew this would be good! There are some great Fire members still left and I may have seen a few of those up there. Enjoy the meat and memories!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Great pics! Is that a pool table or a butcher block, LOL?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
If I could get that frigging video off my phone he would already have it! Sadly, he thinks it will exhonerate him. It will show a bison dead in midair.

Your hypothesis is almost as bad as your spelling. Hint: the word 'exonerate' has no 'h' in it. I'm not looking for an excuse, but a possible explanation, and I know that bison moved just before that bullet hit him, as the video will show. That said, pretty obviously, and as I've readily admitted, it was operator error, no more and no less.
upload to youtube

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
A Taurus?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cisco1
Buck Fever.

Nah, man. I was calm and was confident. Not nervous, not panicking. But whatever, I'll never know what happened other than my bison died on the quickness. And I'm calling that a win. Bash away. I can take it. I have 200 pounds of bison meat in my freezer...
His problem was the set up. The line between his feet was parallel to the line between the bipod feet. I like no less than 45 degrees between them. It makes one much steadier.
I agree. Position gets more critical as recoil goes up. It was probably that or some unseen grass/twig(s).

I doubt the buf moved backwards.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
His problem was the set up. The line between his feet was parallel to the line between the bipod feet. I like no less than 45 degrees between them. It makes one much steadier.

If I could get that frigging video off my phone he would already have it! Sadly, he thinks it will exhonerate him. It will show a bison dead in midair.

I was gonna ask if Sitka deer was a know-it-all-ass-hole in real life, but this answered my question.

LOL

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
KG
Whether you pulled the shot or the Buff turned into the shot.

Don't matter..
Buff is dead.

And you had the integrity and guts to post specifics about the shot....

Plenty of members on here wouldn't have had the stones to open themselves up to criticism about how the shot went down if it was them.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by renegade50
KG

Don't matter..
Buff is dead.

Plenty of members on here wouldn't have had the stones to open themselves up to criticism about how the shot went down if it was them.

That's what I'm sayin'.

It's a fugkin' ungulate. Not your children's soul.

LOL

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C

That is a genuinely awesome pic...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
But do you like Viking food?

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Damn! If I'd had sufficient warning, I could have invited KG and crew to my house for LUTEFISK. It's about that time of year when it shows up in a few stores.....the poor varieties anyway.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CashisKing

That is a genuinely awesome pic...

Cash;
Good morning to you my friend, I hope all is well as can be in your world and that your world is a tad warmer than ours is as well.

I'm in complete agreement with your opinion on this photo of Mrs. kamo gari, it's a trophy all on it's own on multiple levels.

All the best to you folks out there on the east coast and good hunting.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the post, I really enjoyed it. Congratulations to you and the men who helped. An epic adventure for all involved.
Your photography was wonderful and made me feel I was there. I too liked the pool table shot. 👍👍

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Lots of people are afraid of criticism on here.
We all know the types.

The little hit and run post fuggs.
The simmering butthurt types.
The ones who run their pieholes but yet never post
"Pics or it never happened"

I really dont think anyone is being malicious to KG on this thread concerning the shot.
More of a ribbing for a reaction to see where it goes type of thing.
Then some back and forth stuff.

I give the cat kudo,s for posting about the shot.

Plus I got sent a txt pic of the buff like a day or 2 after he shot it.

Not much of a convo.
Asked if it was on a Rez out west somewhere.
Just it was shot on the 22nd or 23rd of oct.
Was left hanging on details and this thread filled em in nicely.

Glad KG made this thread.
I could only imagine the text length if he told me the story then.

Get calls outta the blue from the guy at times.
Lengthy calls.
Lot of things have been covered.
Stuff I have been wrong on and stuff he has been wrong on.
Stuff both of us put together and arrived at a different or same exact perceptions on things versus what either of us actually believed prior.

Hunting stuff.
Gun stuff.
Growing up stuff.(KG is lucky to be alive actually)
Dog stuff.

He is a good dude, and wont hold back what he thinks or sugarcoat schit.
Lots of guys on here like that.
Those are the cats to interact with no matter what dust ups or whatever has gone down over the course of time.

Big diff having spats with like minded individuals than these chameleon sunsabytches on here.

I know eventually I will have to go to Maine for funeral stuff.
And I know on the way back I can call KG and probably meet the dude.
Probably even have a drink with him and get on down the Rd back to Tennessee time...

And KG if you wanta eat something if we link up.
Homie has ate stuff from all over this rock.
I can't do the Jules Vern 20,000 leagues under the sea stuff man.
Steamer clams or fried clams with bellies are GTG
Lobster is GTG
Fish chowdaah is GTG along as it is haddock.
Mahi Mahi oven baked over a bed of rice is GTG.

Bout it for homie on the seafood side of the house and it all involves being COOKED 👍👍👍😄😄😄

Other than that....
A good pizza place will suffice.
👍👍👍😄😄😄

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
KG made a great shot on that bull......if that is the bull he was aiming at.

I've watched an excited huntress hit a bison other than the intended bison.......not a good thing to explain to the wildlife trooper.
I also have seen an excited hunter jump out of his truck and shoot a bull that the rest of the herd gathered around to protect and the hunter
fired again....different bison.......two bison down and only one tag.......it turned nasty from there but again the wildlife trooper made their day.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by renegade50
KG

Don't matter..
Buff is dead.

I appreciate this sentiment a bunch and thanks to you and the others folks who made similar comments in regards to my words here about botching the shot. Before we left the field the day of the kill, both of the guys told me not to worry, as they wouldn't mention it on any 'Fire post on the hunt. I told them both I appreciated their loyalty, but that I'm neither a bullshytter nor a liar, even one by way of omission and that I was going to write it up as it happened. I might take a little time to get there, but that it was going to happen. wink

A few answers to questions posed:

The bison's weight on the hoof we figure was north of 600 lbs for sure but likely not 700 lbs. A little guy, really, but no complaints here. None at all.

I gifted Rost495 and VernAK with a quarter. I would have left more tasty parts, but we weren't going to butcher the animal until back in Anchorage. It was still in meat bags in the back of SD's rig when we left the following day.

I gifted another quarter to SD, as well as perhaps 20 lbs of cut meat and the heart. I left Dan in Alaska a block of backstrap as a small token of thanks for letting us use his badass vacuum chamber sealer. That thing works like a charm and can handle large portions. He was also super generous in that he gifted me sealed bags of black cod, halibut, moose and caribou to take home in addition to all the bison meat. Very grateful to him for his help and kindness.

Yes, that is a pool table I have the meat laid out on in my basement. Prior to my trip out to AK, I made it a point to completely empty one of the other dedicated freezers in the house to accomodate meat that I'd hopefully be bringing home. Everything I did haul back home --with not a little struggle-- fit in it perfectly, but with zero room to spare.

I'm a Medallion flyer on Delta, so can check two bags totalling 140 pounds at no charge domestically. I paid $150 to check a third bag, plus, I filled my carry on with as much meat as I could stuff in it as well. SD was kind enough to get the gear I brought over into a box (with Rick Bin's name on it wink ), and it's on its way back to me via snail mail. Shipping frozen stuff across the country on an overnight or even 2 day basis costs a bloody fortune. I know this from experience.

I'll be sure to post up some pics of the meals to come. The meat smells like a sweet beef. Very excited to get working with it. Yesterday out of curiosity I checked what the local market gets for a pound of ground bison meat: $11.50. For ground! So, I guess one could figure the meat I brought back would sell locally for more than $2K, if it was all ground. Lots of it is much higher quality than cuts destined for a date with a grinder.

Thanks again to all for reading and commenting. It was an amazing experience, and I feel so very grateful to all the players in Alaska who helped make a little boys dream become a reality.

Page 19 of 29 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 28 29

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 55 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,248
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.