Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by drop_point
Originally Posted by erich
I have never hunted with a suppressor, I have hunted with others that have them. The sound of a suppressed rifle is coming from the exact same place as an un-suppressed rifle it just isn't as loud, they know where the shot sound is coming from. Coyotes react to the impact of the bullet as it arrives before the sound of the shot.. I've killed the far coyote first and had the close one run straight at me, to the point of running over me and killing one as close as 6ft.. PD's seem to take the same amount of time to resurface with shots from a suppressed rifle and an un-suppressed rifle. On numerous occasions I have up to four coyotes come in as spaced single while killing the first one and have had them come in spaced after killing the first two, missing the third and killing the fourth all over the period of 10 minutes with the longest shot 70 yards. I have also missed a coyote twice with a single shot and he kept returning to the call until I killed him the third time he came in. I did refer to that one as "Suicide by Hunter". I personally feel that the main advantage to a suppressor is easier on the owners ears and the neighbors ears.

I don't think you're really experienced at all then. I've had experience more like JLimbo who posted below you. I've taken animals out of herds and then had somebody else take one, I've had animals actually come to me because they hear the sonic crack the opposite direction of bullet travel. The report is quiet enough with the suppressor that the crack confuses them. If you can go to a range with pits, let your friends with a suppressor shoot while you're in the pit and it will seem quite different to you.

100% agreed.

erich, how many coyotes do you actually kill in a year - particularly doubles, triples etc. ?
And average distance killed – I suspect the answer to the last question will be rather illuminating on why the need/no need for suppressor.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
GB1

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have 2 cans.. Have cut and threaded several barrels to varying lengths... I walk a lot, mainly hunting pigs.

My 2 cans reside in the top of my safe.. They effect the balance of the rifle while slung. I don't care for that. Again, I do a lot more walking and carrying than shooting..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So sling 'em barrel down.....

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by huntsman22
So sling 'em barrel down.....

I have.. I guess I can make up reasons for awhile why I don't particularly care for them.. I must be in the vast minority as popular as they seem to be..

I'm just not that impressed with them..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What cans did you buy? Are they heavy and the rifles light? Just curious.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Let's see, I kill between 20 and 40 a year, all daylight, 90+% on public land and again 90+% between Nov. and March (prime pelts). I hunt sage, mesquite dunes, rolling hills and a lot of heavy cover (creek and river bottoms). I really like seeing how close they come in, I consider any coyote that doesn't come in closer than 300 yards to be a failed stand and try and figure out what I did wrong again most of my shots, 90+% under 100 yards with I'd say half of them half of that.. I very seldom kill more than one at a stand and call it a day unless it is the very first or second stand of the day. I do hunt a lot with drillings and combo guns plus bolt actions, I do have an AR in20P and 223(won it), as far as I'm concerned it is a horrible gun to hunt with and I've only killed coyotes with it to say I've done it. When I do kill more than one at a stand they are delayed response, I want to be sure that I can recover them. Most of my multiple kills are when I have a guest along and they do the shooting, I really prefer to hunt alone.. I like cold calling and exploring the country, so I try and avoid calling the same stands in a year. I have vast amounts of public lands within a hours drive of the house, plus I do travel out of state, AZ, UT, CO, NV, WY and I used to live in WA.

I have zero hate for coyotes and have no need to kill everyone I see.

Last edited by erich; 11/09/22.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I'm in the same boat as TR. I've killed more doubles, triples, and quads since I've added a suppressor. Also one of the biggest perks besides being easier on the ears, is the recoil reduction.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
LOL….I’ll kill every single one I can, and a suppressor DEFINATELY helps with that, AND not overly spooking deer in the area, as well. If you’ve ever had something suppressed shot in your direction, you’ll comprehend the benefits really quick. It’s often not nearly as apparent behind the gun. It’s the confusion you can SEE in the animals, and in many instances, the other coyote(s) run towards me after I shoot tail end charlie….not away.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Cans are wonderful.

No directional imprint and reduced recoil are it !

blackout, 223, 308 all suppressed.

"A man has come to terms with life when he is willing to plant trees under whose shade he will never sit."
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by JPro
What cans did you buy? Are they heavy and the rifles light? Just curious.

Well, you are correct.. Since I walk I have been trying to lighten my rifles.. First was a 9'' .30 gem tech... Heavy and long.. Because a friend bought one and thought it was awesome.. Second was a TB ultra 7'', by far better than the first.. They do make shooting without ear protection much more comfortable.. And there is significant recoil reduction. I guess I carry a rifle so much more than I shoot it weighs into my decision.. Enjoy!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I see no cons other than yes, it does make your barrel longer. I've been using a suppressor since 2015 and after using mine on a 24" 22-250 for a year, I cut it down to 20" I pack it all over the place and walk many miles on my coyote travels.

With a suppressor for coyotes, you'll get more multiples, not stir up the area as much when you do shoot, hear bullet impact much better, less recoil/muzzle jump, shoot better, and save your hearing. Very simply, I enjoy shooting more with a suppressor.

The two coyote killing gurus on this board; TRnCO and Scenar both use suppressors for a reason--you'll kill more coyotes. They both steered me to getting one and darn glad I got on board.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
nice looking rifle there Lonny.. Would you mind telling us about the barrel and contour, action and stock. Action appears to be a 700 but looks like a long, guessing its a short though running a .22-250. Which Leupold are you running.. Thanks!

And is that a 7 or 5'' suppressor ? Also as I continue to look at your pic those stix look pretty interesting..

Last edited by PatB; 11/10/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Pat. It's a Krieger #3 stainless. 700 SS action that was factory chambered 22-250 also, but had some tuning done to the action and all that jazz when I re-barreled. Pic was when the barrel was 24". It's 20" now and I like it much better now. McMillan swirly stock. Rifle was built when it was the rage here was to go with the McM swirly.

That Leupold is a 3-10 CDS, but I had trouble with the elevation turret returning to zero, binding up, and after the last fix, I sold it. Rifles wears a Nightforce SHV 3-10 now and is reliable.

Silencerco Omega-probably about 6" long as pictured. Stix are Snipepods. Used them for years and have taken thousands of shots off them for all kinds of varmints, big game, steel, and rock bustin'.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by erich
Let's see, I kill between 20 and 40 a year, all daylight, 90+% on public land and again 90+% between Nov. and March (prime pelts). I hunt sage, mesquite dunes, rolling hills and a lot of heavy cover (creek and river bottoms). I really like seeing how close they come in, I consider any coyote that doesn't come in closer than 300 yards to be a failed stand and try and figure out what I did wrong again most of my shots, 90+% under 100 yards with I'd say half of them half of that.. I very seldom kill more than one at a stand and call it a day unless it is the very first or second stand of the day. I do hunt a lot with drillings and combo guns plus bolt actions, I do have an AR in20P and 223(won it), as far as I'm concerned it is a horrible gun to hunt with and I've only killed coyotes with it to say I've done it. When I do kill more than one at a stand they are delayed response, I want to be sure that I can recover them. Most of my multiple kills are when I have a guest along and they do the shooting, I really prefer to hunt alone.. I like cold calling and exploring the country, so I try and avoid calling the same stands in a year. I have vast amounts of public lands within a hours drive of the house, plus I do travel out of state, AZ, UT, CO, NV, WY and I used to live in WA.

I have zero hate for coyotes and have no need to kill everyone I see.

Well, based on that, it's understandable why you wouldn't see value in a suppressor – I likely wouldn't either.

But you'd no doubt agree, you're not going about things like the vast majority do. If you get three coyotes to come to the call, more often than not, you're one-and-done.
Most guys I know (self-included) want all three. smile

I prefer the second and third coyotes to exit at Mach 1, not Mach 6. A decent suppressor, more often than not, makes that a reality. And it sure helps in preserving what hearing I have left - same for hunting with a partner.

WWP53D
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Look like a great set up, Lonny.. Thanks much for the info!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lonny
The two coyote killing gurus on this board; TRnCO and Scenar both use suppressors for a reason--you'll kill more coyotes. They both steered me to getting one and darn glad I got on board.

One of parties named above did the same for me (same model too).
I'd stubbornly resisted for far too many years, and for all the wrong reasons.

Great photo, my friend!

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lonny
The two coyote killing gurus on this board; TRnCO and Scenar both use suppressors for a reason

Enabling bastids, ain't they?.....

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Couldn't agree more. Rio7

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You guys might be changing my mind. I do hate giving uncle Sam the tax and it is hard to believe that 6 inches of metal can cost twice as much as a rifle.

Last edited by erich; 11/10/22.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Osky
Sorry if this has been pounded out, are any of you guys using a suppressor when calling coyotes?
Pros/cons?

Osky

I think most guys here are saying the pro much out weigh the cons.

The most obvious con is longer and heavier.

Pay a bit of attention with barrel lenght and choose a light weight short suppressor and even that con can be reduced to very little.

You will kill many more multiple coyotes at a stand, whether double,trips or singles coming in staggered.

It's a game changer.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12savage, 65 invisible), 2,203 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,915
Posts18,479,632
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.