Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Was on the Ranger from Houghton to Isle Royale. We didn’t leave at the scheduled time. 6-9 foot seas and building they said. Many sick passengers. The dude who was scarfing down his chili when we were in the canal was wearing it on his shirt next time I saw him.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by bluffview
GA Goober wondering if you were flying out of KI Sawyer
No. Grand Forks. Would shoot a lot of touch & goes at KI,

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
In the 1980's I served on the Port Washington WI <lake michigan> water safety patrol crew for one summer. Main job was to assist boaters in distress with engine trouble, etc. Tow them in.

Vessel was an old steel 40-foot ex coast guard boat, twin screw diesel. Got a call for a boat ~7 miles out ese of Sheboygan without power. Weather was a nasty north east with 17 foot waves according to skipper.

Out we went ne for several miles. Crew getting beat up pretty good. Skipper decided to abort the attempt as Milwaukee Coast Guard was called to send one their boats.

Skipper assigned me to post next to him and watch our stern for breaking wave that would swamp us. Skipper did a good job riding the back of wave towards port, didn't want to go over and pitch pole, or slide into trough and get swamped.

Even a 40 foot boat on Michigans 17 foot seas seemed tiny. Got into port, storm kept on stormin', an hour or so later The Milwaukee CG boat pulled into port. Guys had a rough ride. The Sheboygan boat fixed their power issue and made it into port there.

Even though the Fitz was a huge boat, the big storms on the Great lakes couldn't have been fun for the crews.

GOA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bellydeep
What a stoopid fugking thread
Not until you showed up.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That is one cold body of water.

Grand Marais, mid-August, 94 sunny degrees ambient.

Ankle foot deep, was ice water.

And I love the cold.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Love the rhyme scheme of the song.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Do we have any type of song for Chernobyl that we could annoyingly post every year on the anniversary?

Nugget….get to work on it

Maybe a Barney n Friends nuclear meltdown song? Or The Wiggles?

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
Do we have any type of song for Chernobyl that we could annoyingly post every year on the anniversary?

Nugget….get to work on it

Maybe a Barney n Friends nuclear meltdown song? Or The Wiggles?
Yup.....hey hey chernobal,,,gimme some slobbin on my knobbin,
ok everyone now one more time...gimme some slobbin on my knobbin..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh great. Now I've got that drunk druggy's song stuck in my head at bedtime.

Wabi is a sadomasochist.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Anyone ever work on an ore boat, or sail on the Great Lakes?

When I lived in Minnesota, I've been out in my own SeaRay on Lake Superior, but no far out, because you learn real quick, you are a minnow on a Big LAKE.

I've also driven around Lake Superior in November, all 1200 miles or so... from Duluth, up hwy 61, on the 417 around to the Soo, and back on US 2 to Duluth Again....Think I sang the song to myself, all 1200 miles around it.

Also have taken that trip on my motorcycle I use to have back there, but that was in summertime when the weather wasn't so intimidating.

Its a wonderful trip to make... for those who never have, I'd highly recommend it.

Superior is ONE big Friggin Lake.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by scrooster
Oh great. Now I've got that drunk druggy's song stuck in my head at bedtime.

Wabi is a sadomasochist.

It's a miserable story song.

Boxcar Willie bad...

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In Wisconsin back in 1975/76, My 7th grade Homeroom teacher was Miss Shelly Fitzgerald... She was a beautiful blond about 21... It was her grandfather the ship was named after... None of us realized it until she told us... The story and the song meant a lot more to us after that... Us boys were all bummed out when she got married and moved away... The girls cried...

Last edited by 7mm_Loco; 11/10/22.
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
I’m a northerner and have seen first hand what Superior, Michigan, and Huron can do. I have family and friends in the commercial fisheries and on the boats.

For my money…Lk St. Clair is far and away the most treacherous. [bleep] that lake

Last edited by Quak; 11/09/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just spent another week up in the UP and down to Traverse City, St Clair, all around Fishland and everywhere inbetween, hitting the vineries .... every time I go up there someone is playing that song and using Lake Gitche Gumee in one way or another.

I like the edibles and smoked fish I always bring back but ... that damn song, which I've heard a 1000 times since my college days in the 70s, sometimes gets old. It's always been catchy I guess, to some degree, but only-to cucks, drunks, homosexuals and druggies.

We stayed in St Clair this year, downtown AirBnB. Love that place fwiw. Took the cruise.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bluffview
Was on the Ranger from Houghton to Isle Royale. We didn’t leave at the scheduled time. 6-9 foot seas and building they said. Many sick passengers. The dude who was scarfing down his chili when we were in the canal was wearing it on his shirt next time I saw him.

a buddy I worked with down in Minneapolis, was from Two Harbors. His dad was an exec with one of the Ore companies out of up there.
Arvid worked on those boats as a crewman after High School, before heading to college at the age of 21... ( 1971 ) He had done a few trips on the Fitzgerald. He showed me a lot of pictures he took working on those big ore boats. He was a cook's assistant, but made a lot of money doing it.

He had some pictures that were of interest, of large bull moose swimming out in Lake Superior toward Isle Royale. Moose from the Canadian side, will drop into Lake Superior and swim the 45 miles out to the Island. They spend the summers there and then swim back in the fall to the Ontario Side.
I've been out to Isle Royal hiking and campfire several times, but that was from the Minnesota shore. Its only like 15 miles or so out there from Minnesota... yet like 45 miles from Michigan's UP or the Ontario Side.

The waters on the Great Lakes are both awesome and intimidating., especially Superior, and that is when its just calm. To think of the French Canadian trappers who use to come out that way working for the Hudson's Bay Company. Crossing in those long canoes, made it out there from Montreal. The St Lawrence Seaway from the Great Lakes to the Atlantic is another awesome body of water, for having land on the shores. Its a big river.. much bigger across than the Mississippi. Like 70 plus miles across up on the Gaspe Peninsula in Quebec. Spent a lot of time up there in my younger days, during college and just after, before I went on Active Duty. Another trip that is just awesome.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
In the summer of 2021 I spent a great deal of time in downtown Duluth. Used to watch the big ore ships come in, you could get a schedule on arrival times. The new ones are just huge, 1200 feet if my memory serves me right. Beautiful huge lake and beautiful country surrounding it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
In the summer of 2021 I spent a great deal of time in downtown Duluth. Used to watch the big ore ships come in, you could get a schedule on arrival times. The new ones are just huge, 1200 feet if my memory serves me right. Beautiful huge lake and beautiful country surrounding it.
I just checked, the biggest ones are 1000 feet.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
1000 ft maximum will fit thru the locks.
Seafire—whole lot of Canada closer than 45 miles to Isle Royale.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Quak
I’m a northerner and have seen first hand what Superior, Michigan, and Huron can do. I have family and friends in the commercial fisheries and on the boats.

For my money…Lk St. Clair is far and away the most treacherous. [bleep] that lake
Probably because LSC is shallow and can get worked up pretty quick.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (01Foreman400, 1234, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,421
Posts18,507,425
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.