Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 79S
I remember like it was yesterday, I forget what foster family it was, but they were Mormons. Anyhow It was pinewood derby time, my Mormon foster dad said Langford you are competing. I built a car and I took last place couple of days later I was back in good ol state custody.. Nugget

Holy fugk...

Legit can't breathe as I type...

You mother fugker.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you all thought Nugget story had a good ending and I took first place unfortunately nugget doesn't have that kind of luck.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I worked with the Scouts for about 10. I tell folks I was with the khaki Scouts, and not the rainbow Scouts.

Anyway, there was this kid in the Cubs that came from a one parent family (mom and no dad). He would show up at the derby with a car that looked like it had been hacked out of a 2x4 with a dull hatchet, and painted with scrap paint with his eyes closed. Thing is he won 1st place every year. Every. Single. Year. Nobody could even come close. I don't know if the kid had some kind of secret, or if it was Divine intervention, but he always won with that ugly duckling car.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by fburgtx
There are jigs that allow you to raise one of the front wheels up (so you run on 3).

The jigs also allow you to drill the axle holes in at an angle, so the wheels run on knife edge (inner edge).

Polish the axles, or buy better ones. Graphite the heck out of the wheels. They sell better wheels, as well, that are still “stock”.

Lengthen your wheelbase (rear wheels can stick out past rear of car. Do NOT extend front wheels past front of car they will get damaged if the car hits something).

We would drill out a cavity in the back of the car. Fill in with lead shotgun shot until we got the weight of car/wheels/axles up to about 4.9 oz. Use wood putty to fill in the cavity at that point. Balance point of car should be about 1/2 inch to 1 inch in front of rear axle.

You can lay the body of the car on a pencil, to see where it balances.

No wonder I always lost
😁

I worked on cars for a handful of engineers at the plant. Jig the wood blocks up on a mill, drill the axle holes lifting one front one up .005". I'd also machine pockets for the factory weights into the bottom of the car. I made a special shim so that when you pressed the axle into the block the clearance between the wheel and the body was an exact value. We didn't use graphite on the axles, it was some very expensive lube that supposedly comes from NASA.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like they need a Dad division.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Kids finished middle of the pack. Out of 40 some cars they were 18th and 21st. My 10 year old really wanted to win but didn't and handled it pretty well. They had fun anyways.

I was proud of my kid because the guy said he was going to tell them about a race and they could vote who won. It was leading into a joke. My kid turned to me and said that is crap, you can't vote for who wins its the fastest car that wins. He then said this guy must be a Democrat.

Bb

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Kids finished middle of the pack. Out of 40 some cars they were 18th and 21st. My 10 year old really wanted to win but didn't and handled it pretty well. They had fun anyways.

I was proud of my kid because the guy said he was going to tell them about a race and they could vote who won. It was leading into a joke. My kid turned to me and said that is crap, you can't vote for who wins its the fastest car that wins. He then said this guy must be a Democrat.

Bb

Good for your kid
sounds like you are raising him right.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
That sounds like a lot of fun, I've built them but never raced them as a kid.

They are old enough for you to consider building them a soap box car. Talk about a blast.

Here is one my dad and I built when I was 11. We went a little overboard.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
they actually sell polished axle kits (nails) with wheels

We had a scout troop that met at the church I went to as a kid. The neighbor was involved with it, and they had a boy whose dad bailed on the mom, so the neighbor asked me to help the kid out. I was no help at all and in the first race he lost, so another dad that was there - I guess he felt sorry for the boy and my ineptness at pinewood derby in general, pulled me aside and gave me a tube of graphite. We put that on his wheels and his car was greased lightning after that. I think he ended up getting second or third place. I really don't remember but I know he was proud of himself. This was like 1979.

Last edited by KFWA; 11/10/22.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by K1500
They have one. My older kid competed in this one year. I think he came in fifth or sixth. I built one for my younger son just so he wouldn’t feel left out. He was 4 or 5 at the time. When we got there, they told him he could compete it the adult division. He won it, and I couldn’t believe how mad some of the dads were! I thought I was going to have to fight our way out of that church auditorium.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by deflave
My 10 year old son and 8 year old daughter have cars competing in a pinewood derby tomorrow night. They've got the cars cut and painted and I'm going to put the wheels on and add some weight tomorrow. I plan to drill some holes in the bottom and glue in some 148g .358 wadcutters that I recently cast.

Any advice on where to place the lead from front to back and if it's good to keep it low on the car for a low center of gravity etc. Any tricks to putting the wheels on for a faster time? We are allowed to use powdered graphite or silicon for a wheel lube. Car can weigh 5 ounces.

My daughter's is close to weight already with all the heavy purple candy like paint and her huge hood that looks like a 77 Buick. She only needs one 148g wadcutter. My son's more aerodynamic boattail design is going to need four 148g wadcutters.

Grandpa helped my daughter with the Buick but who knows, it'll probably win. I cut my sons car with VLD principles in mind and went for high BC. I just need to get the weight distributed right.

Bb

Skip the derby.

Take your son and daughter to a bar.

Read them passages from Iceberg Slim's autobiography. Far better use of your (and their) time.

No doubt that's what your father did, which is why you turned out to be the miserable SOB that you are. I feel sorry for your wife and kids. Really.

Tarquin
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Originally Posted by deflave
My 10 year old son and 8 year old daughter have cars competing in a pinewood derby tomorrow night. They've got the cars cut and painted and I'm going to put the wheels on and add some weight tomorrow. I plan to drill some holes in the bottom and glue in some 148g .358 wadcutters that I recently cast.

Any advice on where to place the lead from front to back and if it's good to keep it low on the car for a low center of gravity etc. Any tricks to putting the wheels on for a faster time? We are allowed to use powdered graphite or silicon for a wheel lube. Car can weigh 5 ounces.

My daughter's is close to weight already with all the heavy purple candy like paint and her huge hood that looks like a 77 Buick. She only needs one 148g wadcutter. My son's more aerodynamic boattail design is going to need four 148g wadcutters.

Grandpa helped my daughter with the Buick but who knows, it'll probably win. I cut my sons car with VLD principles in mind and went for high BC. I just need to get the weight distributed right.

Bb

Skip the derby.

Take your son and daughter to a bar.

Read them passages from Iceberg Slim's autobiography. Far better use of your (and their) time.

No doubt that's what your father did, which is why you turned out to be the miserable SOB that you are. I feel sorry for your wife and kids. Really.

Queenie!

You and your boyfriend still trying to conceive?

I am MAGA.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by gregintenn
They have one. My older kid competed in this one year. I think he came in fifth or sixth. I built one for my younger son just so he wouldn’t feel left out. He was 4 or 5 at the time. When we got there, they told him he could compete it the adult division. He won it, and I couldn’t believe how mad some of the dads were! I thought I was going to have to fight our way out of that church auditorium.
Nothing says Christianity like a pinewood Derby fight.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by dassa
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Nothing says Christianity like a pinewood Derby fight.
No chit! Life has to suck for a guy to get butthurt over something so inconsequential.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
laffin’

What do some people not understand about the internet? crazy

A lot of folks are entertained by watching others gobble up what ever "sour apples" they decide to pick and choose to throw out in front of them. While others seem to live in a constant state of belly ache,… but they just keep eatin’ em up!!

grin grin grin grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wasn't much of a sculptor.......my pinewood derby cars all looked like something growing on fettermans neck.

Performance and style equally sukked

Last edited by SCgman1; 11/10/22.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Aww shucks fellas can we talk about the wreck of the Edwin Fitzgerald some more ?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
We did it in Boy Scouts, but I don't remember much of it. I'm taking that to mean I didn't get any prizes.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Tarquin

Sure thing Mr. Can't Post Pictures.

LOL

Whatever you do, don't go outside this weekend.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Queenie!

You and your boyfriend still trying to conceive?

Neither can make the other one hard.

Talk about unhappiness.

LOL

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,480
Posts18,490,125
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.