Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
My 10 year old son and 8 year old daughter have cars competing in a pinewood derby tomorrow night. They've got the cars cut and painted and I'm going to put the wheels on and add some weight tomorrow. I plan to drill some holes in the bottom and glue in some 148g .358 wadcutters that I recently cast.

Any advice on where to place the lead from front to back and if it's good to keep it low on the car for a low center of gravity etc. Any tricks to putting the wheels on for a faster time? We are allowed to use powdered graphite or silicon for a wheel lube. Car can weigh 5 ounces.

My daughter's is close to weight already with all the heavy purple candy like paint and her huge hood that looks like a 77 Buick. She only needs one 148g wadcutter. My son's more aerodynamic boattail design is going to need four 148g wadcutters.

Grandpa helped my daughter with the Buick but who knows, it'll probably win. I cut my sons car with VLD principles in mind and went for high BC. I just need to get the weight distributed right.

Bb
I guarantee with 148 WC on that car they will loose. You should be glue’n a 7mm 180 gr ELD-M on the front. My boy will be doing that.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I remember seeing my first Pinewood Derby and being turned off by the whole deal.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The most pitiful thing I saw at one of my sons' Pinewood Derby events was when a kid walked up to the table where all the cars were placed after being checked in and asked his father, "which one is mine." -tnscouter

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Originally Posted by dassa
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Originally Posted by K1500
Sounds like they need a Dad division.
They have one. My older kid competed in this one year. I think he came in fifth or sixth. I built one for my younger son just so he wouldn’t feel left out. He was 4 or 5 at the time. When we got there, they told him he could compete it the adult division. He won it, and I couldn’t believe how mad some of the dads were! I thought I was going to have to fight our way out of that church auditorium.
Nothing says Christianity like a pinewood Derby fight.
No chit! Life has to suck for a guy to get butthurt over something so inconsequential.
At our church, we had a no rules (except nothing flammable) derby. All I did was epoxy 4 one pound lead ingots to the wood and graphite on the axles. That sob hit the end of the track and rolled all the way to the end of the gym.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I had a Swastika and a German Iron Cross on mine, I kid you not.

Last edited by Dave_Spn; 11/10/22.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
IC B2

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Kids finished middle of the pack. Out of 40 some cars they were 18th and 21st. My 10 year old really wanted to win but didn't and handled it pretty well. They had fun anyways.

I was proud of my kid because the guy said he was going to tell them about a race and they could vote who won. It was leading into a joke. My kid turned to me and said that is crap, you can't vote for who wins its the fastest car that wins. He then said this guy must be a Democrat.

Bb

I was worried They would finish last and you was going to drop them off at state youth center.. I’m glad they did good. Nugget give you a thumbs up but I have no thumbs.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My mom was dating a guy who built my car for me. He showed up with it in a shoebox on a bed of cotton. My instructions were to lift it out, set it on the track and otherwise not look at it or touch it. Of course I lost, I think I didn’t even bring it home.

About 15 years ago a friends kid was entering the derby, I asked him to get me a kit. He told me they now allowed an adult division. So I whittled me a derby car which was 63 Jag inspired. On race day I still lost but I do have the car sitting on my desk.

NRA Life Member
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

275 members (10ring1, 1_deuce, 12savage, 204guy, 12344mag, 16gage, 35 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,501
Posts18,490,488
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.